Virgin Steele set - no triggered bass (details in)

They were much better the other 2 times I saw them but I enjoyed their set all the same. A good booking for the show.

I for one thought that Virgin Steele slayed. I thought they could have played for longer with no ill effects... their set never got boring to me and Defeis' voice was just as gruff/powerful as it is on CD. I don't see where the gripers are coming from. Whether the octave box thing is true or whether or not they played with bass samples, what's the big fucking deal? I saw several bands play with samples throughout the fest (our two headliners come to mind), and no one has peeped about their sets "sucking" (which they didn't). Virgin Steele sounded good and Ed Pursino (lead guitar) was a madman on that SG. Those were REAL solos, not just senseless wanking.

Plus my sword was gleaming throughout their set...I don't know if anyone could tell I already loved the band enough to show my support for them as one of the TRUEest metal bands ever.

*hands Acension a box of tissue* It'll be okay. Remember, no one forced you to be there during their set =)

Perhaps Ascension wanted to check them out anyway. I've watched plenty of bands I don't care for just to see what their live show is all about. And shouldn't that be something to be promoted at PP? The idea of not knowing or caring about "Band X" but at least checking them out a bit. I have no use for Firewind, stopped in for one song and ended up watching their entire set and loved it.

Plus, since he did watch their set, his opinions of them sucking are equally as valid as yours.

If you do not like this style of metal you will hate VS as they they embody everything good (and bad) about the sub-genre. For me the bottom line was that I enjoyed their show, and I realized that their performance was affected by limitations that were either self-imposed (no bass player) or circumstantial (bad mixing which buried David's voice making him audible only when he hit the higher notes). Having relized this I gave their Cd's a chance, and bought The Marriage of Heaven and Hell (parts I and II), and Invictus. They have gained a new fan.

Perhaps Ascension wanted to check them out anyway. I've watched plenty of bands I don't care for just to see what their live show is all about. And shouldn't that be something to be promoted at PP? The idea of not knowing or caring about "Band X" but at least checking them out a bit. I have no use for Firewind, stopped in for one song and ended up watching their entire set and loved it.

Plus, since he did watch their set, his opinions of them sucking are equally as valid as yours.

Agreed. It often seems as though forum members like think there's an open season on Ascension. True, he often states his opinion in a somewhat insensitive manner; however, rather than rebut his arguments they resort to personal slights or outright attacks. It's been done twice in this thread already. Naturally when he fights back he gets labeled a troll.

...and I'm thinking that was the worst falsetto l've ever heard live. Just plain bad.
That was the bigger problem for me.

I, for one, was looking forward to Virgin Steele's set. I'm not a huge fan, but I own The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, Part 1, and think it's a very solid disc. I also think DeFeis' vocals are outstanding on that disc. However, upon hearing the new disc, I began to believe DeFeis' vocals are shot. Let's face it, when the band is solely controlled by the singer and the vocals are low in the mix, something strange is going on.

To Ascension's point, DeFeis kept hitting that same note falsetto note, over and over again, at the end of every other line. It began to get incredibly annoying and eventually I gave up on their set.

All that said, I wouldn't call Virgin Steele the worst band ProgPower has ever seen. I believe that's a three way tie between Spiral Architect, Secret Sphere and Nightingale.

Zod

I spoke with Ernie (the FOH mixer) on Saturday and he told me that VS gave them a mini disc, not CD) of prerecorded bass and keyboards, this is what they played to during their set. Ernie commented that he was surprised at the low quality of the recorded parts. He did the best he could with the sound but garbage in = garbage out.

I find PAIN OF SALVATION to be about as appealing as a pencil point to the dickhole, but I'm not going to watch their set just so I can post on this forum what a train wreck I believed their performance was.

l am a fan of the older VS material with Jack Starr. And l like David's keyboard work. l was very interested to see what kind of performance they would give. What they gave was inexcusable IMO. Maybe l expect too much from a band that has been around over 20 years.

l'll take the high road & not respond to the personal attacks or childish remarks. ;)

I find PAIN OF SALVATION to be about as appealing as a pencil point to the dickhole, but I'm not going to watch their set just so I can post on this forum what a train wreck I believed their performance was.

Why bother watch them, when clearly the band can be slammed without being watched?

I enjoyed their set and found David very easy going and enjoyable to talk to after the set as he mingled with fans in the hallway. I'm glad he brought the band to ProgPower. It was the first time I saw them, and unfortunately, probably the last, as I don't live anywhere near the east coast (or Europe). :(

I also love the melody and atmosphere of the new disc, "Visions of Eden".

I enjoyed their set and found David very easy going and enjoyable to talk to after the set as he mingled with fans in the hallway. I'm glad he brought the band to ProgPower. It was the first time I saw them, and unfortunately, probably the last, as I don't live anywhere near the east coast (or Europe). :(

I also love the melody and atmosphere of the new disc, "Visions of Eden".

David is definitely a cool guy to talk to. I met him on line waiting to get into a Symphony X show a few years back because Josh's local band was opening the show. He put a retarded guy behind us in his place, which was awesome to watch :lol: