Vocal Mic other than SM7?

MegaMustaine

Apr 7, 2006
So I am looking to buy a vocal mic, and I know that I should probably get a very nice one, as I don't really want to have to upgrade again.

I've heard all the talk about the SM7, and it looks very nice. I was just wondering if there was anything else I'd want to consider. I'll be running it through an alesis firewire mixer, and like I said, just looking to see if there were any other mics I should look for.

Thanks guys.

Are these all better than the SM7? Or just different options? If they aren't better than the SM7, than obviously I don't want them. I'm just curious if there's something I should buy other than the SM7.

A condenser is going to be more versatile as a vocal mic than an SM7. SM7s are supposed to sound great on screaming/growling vocals but I think most people generally prefer a condenser for more musical vocal styles. Personally, I would get an AT4050 or something first and pick up an SM7B down the road when you want to specialize your mic collection a bit more. An AT4050 will sound great on any vocal style, the SM7 might do extreme vocals a little bit better on certain vocalists, but you won't be disappointed with a good condenser.

I'm pretty much going to be doing all screaming, though. So I don't know if that influences anything.

ya man sm7b dude. but i have the apex 460, its a tube condenser, and it sounds great on any style of metal vocals ive used it on. it would also capture a singing voice beautifully. also works well on guitar cabs, drum overheads and acoustic guitar. if you sing close to the mic, you get some tube breakup which is quite pleasant sounding on screaming vocals. it goes for around 300 bones. definitely worth the coin!

A condenser is going to be more versatile as a vocal mic than an SM7. SM7s are supposed to sound great on screaming/growling vocals but I think most people generally prefer a condenser for more musical vocal styles. Personally, I would get an AT4050 or something first and pick up an SM7B down the road when you want to specialize your mic collection a bit more. An AT4050 will sound great on any vocal style, the SM7 might do extreme vocals a little bit better on certain vocalists, but you won't be disappointed with a good condenser.

Actually, the SM7B is GREAT for singing through as well... you can hear that on Warrell Dane's solo record, Mustaine's vox on United Abominations (I believe), and a lot of other great clean vocalists like to use it in the studio. I want an SM7B BAAAAD.... We have A LOT of vocal recording mics, including an RE20 that we are fairly partial to lately. But an SM7B is just so damned versatile.

My friend has a B1 that's surprisingly good for the money. I was honestly taken back by the quality of the tracks I heard that were done with it.

FWIW I agree with F0RBIDDEN's suggestion of getting a decent condensor first and focusing on the SM7 later. Condensors can handle screaming just fine. Also, I can attest that the RE20 is a damn good mic for virtually anything. My friend Dallas uses that one live and when he records, his band is like rock/blues stuff with actual singing, really great results with that. I've also borrowed one a few times for screaming projects with good results. What I've learned, also, is that a lot of screamers really do prefer a mic they can hold in their hands. In this case, I borrow an SM58, a friend's RE20 or this AKG dynamic that I never remember the name of. Out of those, I would have to say the RE20 has taken the cake hands down as far as overall sound quality.

~006

i use the MXL V63m you can get it off musiciansfriend for 100 bucks, and the at2020 by audiotechnica, both mics are under 150 or so...i think.. and to be honest i get fucking huge vocals out of em,

Hmm, I guess I've got some decisions to make. The SM7 seems to be the best for screaming vocals, which is all I really want it for. (Though if it can do singing too, that'd be nice)

I think it's probably going to be my best option, and I almost have enough money for one.

Yea everything Ive done has been through a studio projects b1 on vocals. Ive had some seriously great vocals captured by that mic. Ive also had it suck on some vocalist. No one mic is right for everyone and Ive found that out by only having 1 vocal mic for a long time. So buy as many as you can!!

Oh and the Studio projects B1 is well worth 99.00 in my eyes....

I have used the SM7B on a rockish kind of band before that did not scream and it worked out pretty well. I have used a 4050 before also and those are fantastic mics too. So I would say get a SM7 or the 4050.

So I am looking to buy a vocal mic, and I know that I should probably get a very nice one, as I don't really want to have to upgrade again.

I've heard all the talk about the SM7, and it looks very nice. I was just wondering if there was anything else I'd want to consider. I'll be running it through an alesis firewire mixer, and like I said, just looking to see if there were any other mics I should look for.

Thanks guys.

I'm recording some vocals for my new album with a Neumann KMS 105

i'd say get urself a rode NT2-a. think there about £200 and have had Chris Tsangarides record our vocals with the older Rode NT1 and it sound beautiful!
i use it for many things lol

Although I love my NT2-a as a "studio-tool", I wouldn't recommend it to a singer that has a lot of sibilance. After I got a pair of AKG C414s... well, not been using the Rode so much after that for singers :)

I'd love to try those Audio Technicas...