Vocal Mics On A Tiny Tiny Budget

I use a B1 all the time for vocals too. A lot of times, I won't like the sound of the solo'ed track, but it just works in the mix - and that's what matters.

I've got a $300 tube mic as well, and I've tried to use it a lot, but I always end up going back to the super cheap B1.

I have a cheapie Samson C03 that *I* think sounds good on everything I've used it on. I think I paid around 120 for it? It has a pad switch, low end rolloff and 3 selectable patterns on it. I've used it for a few projects with different types/styles of vocalists and it always sounds good to my ears.

I like those Samson's too for something on the uber-cheap. They sound a helluva lot nicer than those Rode things.

Oops, theres me forgetting how much the damn thing cost...

But seriously though. When you compare the relative costs of high end mics vs the cream of the mass-produced chinese microphones you do have to say that the T3 is a great mic. Even a few years ago that kind of quality would have been impossible to buy at a similar price point.

I mean check out this thread at Gearslutz.com. The guy lines a CAD M179 up against a modded Neumann U67 and can't decide which one sounded best. There's some fantastic mics available for peanuts these days if you can avoid the lure of big brand name hype.

Not really, Ace. Horses for courses, NT1's for deaf people....:loco:

Seriously though, try something else and you'll never go back.

that much is true...
im used to working with a soundelux u99, 4050, or royer 121 as well as other nice stuff like the Thermionic culture phoenix, and real ua 1176's...

but my home rig sadly doesnt allow me such luxuries, and neither will my wallet, so for the time being nt1 it is, i know there are waaaaaaaaaay better mics, but for the money, it aint half bad

behringer b2, i dont have one but i know how they sound and for a cheap mic, i think they can be a bit smoother and complimentary on vocals than some of the other cheaper mics like the rode.