Vocals on "Higher than the Sky"

Firefest9

Hypocrisy rules!!!!!
Jan 18, 2002
Las Cruces, NM
Visit site
During the chorus of this song, it sounds like Dan and Mikael Akerfeldt, with Dan taking the high part and Mikael taking the low. I know its all Dan, but it still does sound like the both of them (Unless Dan isnt telling us something!!!)

What do you guys think? I think it sounds brilliant

Cheers
Eric

Excellent song, from what is arguably my favorite Nightingale album. Never noticed the Akerfeldt thingy, though, but I haven't listened to the song forever. I know Akerfeldt used to draw comparison's to Dan around this time, circa OPETH's Orchid album, so...

I like that song too. Around Orchid everybody though I did the clean vocals for Opeth, which I of course did not. But it was unusual for a death vocalist to be able to sing for real back then. I still remember the phonecall from Mike when he describes Opeth's music and he said "and we've got some clean vocals" and I thought "oh no, not another band with out-of-tune attempts of clean vocals..." but I think you all know how wrong I was. He nailed all those clean part right after singing the growls..it's all in the same take.....outrageous!!! BTW, Mike's a dad now..A daughter called Melinda was born a few days ago...but you probably knew that

Dan Swanö said:
I like that song too. Around Orchid everybody though I did the clean vocals for Opeth, which I of course did not. But it was unusual for a death vocalist to be able to sing for real back then. I still remember the phonecall from Mike when he describes Opeth's music and he said "and we've got some clean vocals" and I thought "oh no, not another band with out-of-tune attempts of clean vocals..." but I think you all know how wrong I was. He nailed all those clean part right after singing the growls..it's all in the same take.....outrageous!!! BTW, Mike's a dad now..A daughter called Melinda was born a few days ago...but you probably knew that

Hahaha wow, I can't believe he would name her that!!! HAHAHAHA how cheesy, I really hope you're kidding Dan. Just don't let this news reach the Opeth board, everyone will go back to all those "Who's Melinda?!?" threads and answer the question a second time.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Hahaha wow, I can't believe he would name her that!!! HAHAHAHA how cheesy, I really hope you're kidding Dan. Just don't let this news reach the Opeth board, everyone will go back to all those "Who's Melinda?!?" threads and answer the question a second time.

Lol. Something tells me that you're not only right about this, but that it IS gonna reach the board soon enough. Oh well, that board's a lost cause, though I still post there once in a while. It's so much friendlier over here, it's almost like a little family.

The Breathing Shadow is just such a great album overall. It's so different from the others, but there is just so much hopeless emotion flowing through the entire thing...it just draws you in! Hard to describe, really. And that guitar sound is so fucking cool! Very underrated album...

Yeah, I find it to be a really fucking dark album to be honest. Seems like Higher Than The Sky is almost one of those happy songs, but to me it feels really fucking dark along with the rest of the album, and I just love Gypsy Eyes.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Yeah, I find it to be a really fucking dark album to be honest. Seems like Higher Than The Sky is almost one of those happy songs, but to me it feels really fucking dark along with the rest of the album, and I just love Gypsy Eyes.
Gyspy Eyes is a truley amazing song

I really think Dan that you achieved a very timeless band with Nightingale, especially with The Breathing Shadow and Alive Again. I think music is always at it's best when something new is tried, but not over the top. For example, Black Sabbath were great along with other hard rock/metal beginners but if they had jumped straight to death metal or even thrash metal all the people that used to listen to like The Beatles etc would not dig it. I think Nightingale is just a great continuation of rock music for the sake of rock music, it's almost like it takes off where all of the great bands like Rush, Black Sabbath, Emerson Lake and Palmer left off. I personally hear it as a modern day mix of Black Sabbath and other proggier hard rockers like Rush.

IAmEternal said:
Lol. Something tells me that you're not only right about this, but that it IS gonna reach the board soon enough. Oh well, that board's a lost cause, though I still post there once in a while. It's so much friendlier over here, it's almost like a little family.

I have been trying to post over there sometimes, to try and occasionally have something constructive to say...but it is VERY frustrating. Honestly, I do not understand what the need is for some of the behavior there--is there something that says that just because you listen to metal that you automatically HAVE to behave like a jerk?! I mean, it's music. It does not have to become a life philosophy; that's taking it too far. I don't listen to metal because I want to be a jerk--I listen because I like the energy of it, which most of the time other genres can't touch.

But anyway, it's not like I intend to never say anything about things I don't like--but there's a such thing as not bashing everybody over the head with it, when you DO say it. Plus, when you know people from the band do visit a place, it's not some "kissing-up" thing to not talk complete trash about them (and when I say "trash" I don't mean just being silly, there are definitely some examples of real TRASH posts on the Opeth board, and everyone who's been there knows what I mean)...it's called common courtesy.

Sorry about the rant...but when I saw these comments I had to vent.

I'm afraid I don't know all that much about Dan's work except for his affiliation with Opeth, though.

Anyway, it is good to see some others here that I recognize! And maybe I can learn a little. ;-)

^ I agree whole-heartedly with Rose. It's really frustrating and discouraging over there.

I too am pretty much ignorant about Dan's work, other than the Opeth stuff. I can't say I enjoy the production as much on the first two Opeth albums, BUT I understand the circumstances. Orchid though has a really cool reverb effect on it, that makes it sound all the more ethereal and inspiring - great job Dan! :)

koolboee cdmo87 said:
I too am pretty much ignorant about Dan's work, other than the Opeth stuff. I can't say enjoy the production as muchon the first two Opeth albums, BUT I understand the circumstance. Orchid though has a really cool reverb effect on it, that makes it sound all the more ethereal and inspiring - great job Dan! :)

The reverb effect especially works well given how cold it seems to have been in the forest described in Orchid. I especially love stuff like the middle section in "Under the Weeping Moon"...it works perfectly. It's almost supersaturated with reverb, which creates fantastic visual impressions as I listen to it. There were some volume jumps and abrupt stops I might not have left in there if it were me, but I definitely think that for a debut album, Orchid came off quite well. :)

Morningrise seems to have gone to the other extreme of being just about as "dry" in production as possible, although on that one Mikael's vocal delivery definitely improved, so I'd count it as progress.