Wacken 2004 - Predictions

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Some of you know rumours, some of you know facts. Whatever the fuck, lets have fun and play a guessing game.

This is what I've heard for Wacken 2004:

Iron Maiden (headliner)
Judas Priest (headliner - reunion)
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Nevermore
Opeth
Some nazi band that will end up getting bottled off the stage.

Who else?

:Spin:

Not that I know anything more than the next guy, but I think I've gotten the whole Wacken booking thing figured out. With that said, you can expect to see the following next year:

Grave Digger (confirmed, probably headlining the 'pre-show' on Thursday night)
Amon Amarth (confirmed)
Brainstorm (confirmed)
Nevermore (confirmed)
Iced Earth - only logical
Morbid Angel - NAD is correct
Dissection - just watch, this is gonna happen
Edguy
Helloween
Dimmu Borgir
Dark Tranquillity
Arch Enemy
Shadows Fall
Entombed
Dragonforce
Windir - more wishlist than anything
Enslaved - ditto
Einherjer - ditto
Ensiferum - ditto
Falconer

Iron Maiden & Judas Priest would be delightful, but don't hold your breath. I got some insight into the minds of the Wacken bookers, and for numerous reasons, neither band will ever headline Wacken. Blind Guardian just played last year, and headliners never repeat that quickly.

I will absolutley go to wacken next year if Dissection plays. Absofuckinglutley. I think they should do something different and have bands like Graveland and Nargaroth play there. that would be nice.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
I will absolutley go to wacken next year if Dissection plays. Absofuckinglutley. I think they should do something different and have bands like Graveland and Nargaroth play there. that would be nice.

I would have put Graveland, but Wacken pretty much doesn't allow or book politically racist bands. So that rules them out.

Dave Murray was saying that Maiden only want to play at Festivals now so I started putting two and two together....but I can see why Wacken would steer clear just to vary up the acts. If you book Maiden for Wacken, the first 30,000 people to buy tickets will all be going just for Maiden.

If Graveland can't be booked, how come Chief B is going on about that Nazi band next year? I didn't get that...

Yeah, Dissection is a definite, provided they get a line-up soon. That would fucking own, but I'm still not getting near Jon. :p

JayKeeley said:
Dave Murray was saying that Maiden only want to play at Festivals now so I started putting two and two together....but I can see why Wacken would steer clear just to vary up the acts. If you book Maiden for Wacken, the first 30,000 people to buy tickets will all be going just for Maiden.

That's exactly it Ali. I've been told the Wacken promoters absolutely steer clear of 2 specific types of bands. Those which cost too much money, and those who would "take over" the festival and take away from the spirit of the underground. Iron Maiden unfortunately falls under both categories.

If Graveland can't be booked, how come Chief B is going on about that Nazi band next year? I didn't get that...

To the best of my knowledge, Bohseonkelz (sp?) are not a "nazi" band, but for some reason their followers tend to fall under the right-wing sect of Germany. On the other hand, I met a very nice young German kid who professed his absolute undying love for them, and he was quite normal, singing along arm-in-arm with me to every Freedom Call song, so...

NAD said:
Yeah, Dissection is a definite, provided they get a line-up soon. That would fucking own, but I'm still not getting near Jon. :p

Well, they have Jon and Bard, so they really only need locate a touring bassist and 2nd guitarist. I doubt they have trouble doing that, so they are indeed an early prediction of mine.

Since this thread is dedicated to next year, can we have a show of hands (votes) of people who are SERIOUSLY considering going next year? If we all wanna hang, it might be fun to book a block of rooms at the same hotel.

Mark - you've already got two rooms at Mercure?

Well you already know I'm seriously thinking of going, and of course I'd love to meet ya'll in person too.

Ali: yes, I've reserved 2 rooms @ the Mercure (still too damned expensive = $140 EURO/night!)

NAD: I'll gladly hold your place as my roomie :)

Whenever Dark One gets back online, which should be sometime today, he'll need to know that they'll need to reserve their own rooms, though of course they'd rather sleep in squatter-like conditions than actually be comfortable. :D

markgugs said:
Ali: yes, I've reserved 2 rooms @ the Mercure (still too damned expensive = $140 EURO/night!)

OK me and Chief B will take the other room (for the record, I take 50 minutes in the bathroom), or I'll book a bunch anyway once we get a headcount of people who want to go / and people that we actually want staying with us. :lol:

Cool, thanks Mark. I'm going to talk over the Europe trip with the woman soon, see if she wants to go. Otherwise, we can be the Methane Twins!

Then again, she just got her nursing license and is making phat cash, she may foot the bill if she goes with me! :lol:

We try to have a system when we go to shows together, but thanks for the heads up. She may or may not be up for 3 days of extreme metal, but you never know. When we first starting dating 3 years ago she couldn't bare ANY death metal, and now she likes Nile. :tickled:

Well, you're definitely ahead of the game, but how ever will you possibly be able to ogle the numerous HOT European chicks if your girl is by your side?

Unless she's down with that sort of thing, in which case you're REALLY ahead of the game and I'll shut up and go back to my corner.

She has horrific peripheral vision, I get away with ogling all the time.

For the record, she knows that she's hotter than ALL of them put together. [/butt-kissing, ball-saving maneuver] :tickled: