Wacken 2007

lol plintus, you like them as well? Why am I not surprised ;)

I have wery weird taste in music, yes, but I discovered these guys on my own, without any [printed/online] media influence - I got to see Hand of Blood video, and got instantly interested. I like them most among all relatively new/young bands, because they managed to deliver so much with just one record... well, at least as to my taste.

You discovered it on your own just like you discovered HIM. Man, you sure discover cute bands, don't ya?

To be quite honest, there aren't many bands that I'm actually interested in this year.

I'm hoping 2008/2009, when I'm actually able to attend, will be better.

The type of bands being invited in 2008/2009 will almost certainly be affected by how popular the bands playing this year appear to be. If a lot of people avoid Metalcore bands, probably by next year less Metalcore bands would be invited.

I don't really know if Metalcore is popular at all in Germany, but since it's often more accessible than Melodeath, there's a chance it could dangerously grow year by year.

The type of bands being invited in 2008/2009 will almost certainly be affected by how popular the bands playing this year appear to be. If a lot of people avoid Metalcore bands, probably by next year less Metalcore bands would be invited.

I don't really know if Metalcore is popular at all in Germany, but since it's often more accessible than Melodeath, there's a chance it could dangerously grow year by year.
Honestly, my impression is that they dont care much. I think the lineup for the years after will be more influenced by who the management wants to see play and who is actually available. They know Wacken is known enough in the whole world that no matter who they invite, they'll attract enough people.
Metalcore is popular enough here, at least the metalparty I went to in my hometown 3 years ago rapidly turned from "solid metal plus some other stuff" to "shitty metal/metalcore with barely a good track inbetween". But then again, shitty music is popular everywhere ;)

"Shitty" music is very popular here. By shitty music, I would mean: Everything I don't like.

So, in other words, shitty music is a relative term. However, since we all here (or at least most of us) like more or less the same kind of music (extreme metal), I'd say we can all agree that pop, emo, hip-hop, dance & disco, reggae, and ska are shitty music. Also, to a lesser extent, electronic music could be argued to be shitty music in our context, but quite a lot of people around here might still like it (Those VNV Nation huggers, for instance).

Punk, Nu-Metal, Metalcore, Hardcore and Alternative Rock are in my opinion in a grey zone in which there's both low-quality music and good-quality music, though the latter can be difficult to find.

I would also like to classify everything that is popular in my country as shitty music, such as: reggaeton, banda, norteño, mariachi, cumbia, guitar/voice trios, and any fusions of these genres with pop (which are also popular here, sadly).

Also, to a lesser extent, electronic music could be argued to be shitty music in our context, but quite a lot of people around here might still like it (Those VNV Nation huggers, for instance).
You dont like electro, that's ok, but please dont put VNV Nation or the likes anywhere near electronic music like, techno for example. The medium may be the same, but only because jazz bands have been known use electric guitars, basses, drums and a singer didnt make them a death metal band, you know? It's all a question of how it is used and what the intention is ;)

Shitty music is everything that lacks originality, everything solely aimed at commercial success and everything plintus likes.

Well let's call VNV Nation Futurepop/Synthpop/Trance, then - I still consider it to be sort of eww.

There you go, relativity. If I am fool, it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom.

Well, he wanted to know ;)

Of course music or taste in general are highly subjective, but except for my provocation, how is my view different from yours? :err:

Shitty music is everything that lacks originality, everything solely aimed at commercial success and everything plintus likes.

Honored. Truly.

I knew this world revolved around me. But I'm not sure if that's why I was spinning it on my cock...

Well, he wanted to know ;)

Of course music or taste in general are highly subjective, but except for my provocation, how is my view different from yours? :err:

It isn't, actually we're quite compatible! Which would be a good reason for everyone to vote for me as newb of the year! :Þ

Plintus: No problem man! I'm pleased you don't take it personally when people offend your musical tastes, I for one, have met some persons who would defend their brittany spears with their own lives if they had to.

are streaming select performances

Poorly. Waited several minutes, got to see 3 seconds of video, then "buffering..."

However, it's a good idea to check back, because they usually put a shitload of good clips online after the festival. Good quality and extensive material too, like a couple of entire songs from a number of bands.
http://streaming.wacken.com/

What a shitty festival actually.. all the good bands played on shitty stages (Moonsorrow, Vital Remains..), or sported mediocre performances (Dimension Zero, Disillusion), or are on the long list of bands Ive seen before and not too thrilled to see a second, third or fourth time (In Flames, Cannibal Corpse..)
Bah

What a shitty festival actually.. all the good bands played on shitty stages (Moonsorrow, Vital Remains..), or sported mediocre performances (Dimension Zero, Disillusion), or are on the long list of bands Ive seen before and not too thrilled to see a second, third or fourth time (In Flames, Cannibal Corpse..)
Bah

Welcome to the real world.

My opninon is: the best live shows are in the clubs, festivals are just "too much" anyway (big crowds, open space, daylight). Good exposure for some, but everything is lost in the drunken haze anyway :)

Before, I always enjoyed Wacken, but I guess Im getting too old and comfy and stuff ;)
I'll stick to concerts now I think.. I might reconsider once I own a car or even better, a mobile home :cool: