Wages of Sin

Ry guy

Oct 6, 2010
California
Is there any place you can download wages of sin? How can I get my hands on that song without buying the japanese album?

Legally their is no way to obtain it, unless you have the Japanese album, or limited picture disc. You can always listen to it on YouTube and extract/record the audio. It wont be as high sound quality though.

Is there any other site that lets you LISTEN to the song? If so I can teach you how to get it... :D I know how to record straight from the soundcard in 320 kbps speed.

Sweet. And Ryan, not trying to sound critical here but recording audio to 320kbps would be pointless unless the source is >= to 320kbps, which is definitely not the case at least on YouTube. The result would just be a larger file size with dummy data. Also, 320kbps is not really recommended for use anymore as variable bit rates offer better size/quality ratios. What I do is archive my CDs in lossless FLAC and just use a batch converter to turn them into high quality mp3.

Sweet. And Ryan, not trying to sound critical here but recording audio to 320kbps would be pointless unless the source is >= to 320kbps, which is definitely not the case at least on YouTube. The result would just be a larger file size with dummy data. Also, 320kbps is not really recommended for use anymore as variable bit rates offer better size/quality ratios. What I do is archive my CDs in lossless FLAC and just use a batch converter to turn them into high quality mp3.

I'm not talking about recording off of YouTube. I'm talking about off of other sites that support higher bitrates. If I record off of YouTube I put it on 128 cuz it tends to sound worse on 320 cuz it just doesn't work. :(

I know... very few sites support bittrates that high but I've seen some that have 190-320.

When I was younger I used to think you could "decompress"128kbs to 320kbps for example, and it would sound better, back when I knew nothing. Just wanted to make sure you didnt think the same thing.

So variable is better? In terms of ratio not overall quality, right?

And why not rip the cd to your drive in 320 or VBR to begin with? Why FLAC first... I find FLAC a hastle

So variable is better? In terms of ratio not overall quality, right?

And why not rip the cd to your drive in 320 or VBR to begin with? Why FLAC first... I find FLAC a hastle

Correct, VBR just allows the bitrate to spike in complex parts of the song and drop in lesser parts. CBR-320 is the highest quality mp3 bitrate but the file sizes do not really justify it. Hydrogen Audio recommends vbr mp3 for common usage. Basically if you archive in a format like flac you will have perfect audio quality in places where size does not matter like your computer, but can easily convert your whole library to various other lossy formats for devices and such. Also other benefits would be your library is future proof (how long with mp3 last?), and you have a perfect backup incase anything happens to one of your original albums.

From hydrogenaudio article on LAME :
Best quality: "archiving"

-b 320. This is the strongest setting for MP3, with the lowest risk of artifacts. With the exception of a few situations, quality is rarely better than the highest VBR profiles described below. However, 'archiving' music using a lossy format like MP3 is never recommended – no matter how transparent the resulting files might sound. The alternative is to use Lossless formats like WavPack, FLAC etc. that allow true archiving, bit for bit like on the original CD.
High quality: HiFi, home or quiet listening

-V0 (~245 kbps), -V1 (~225 kbps), -V2 (~190 kbps) or -V3 (~175 kbps) are recommended. These settings will normally produce transparent encoding (transparent = most people can't distinguish the MP3 from the original in an ABX blind test). Audible differences between these presets exist, but are rare.
the list goes on here to lower quality settings

When I was younger I used to think you could "decompress"128kbs to 320kbps for example, and it would sound better, back when I knew nothing. Just wanted to make sure you didnt think the same thing.

Oh no... it actually sounds worse when you do that it seems.

Aletheus,
I said that because formats and medium are always changing. mp3 has been around for 17 years, and it needs to die off at some point. Also, when we have 256gb iPods it would just a bad idea to use mp3 unless you were unaware of superior formats like flac.

Ryan,
Yea I figured that out later on haha. This was back when I was 12 or something.

Yeah but....Why fix it if it ain't broke?

I still carry around an iRiver mp3 player (not an iPod. No.) that can hold only 512MB of data... My godfather gave it to me while I was in the hospital and the quality is better on it than on all of the iPod's I've sampled through my friends. I don't mind having only 60-ish songs at a time, and I don't really mind if the song is at 192kbits.

FLAC seems like more of a nuisance than an aid. I mean.. my player doesn't support FLAC (I think) and FLAC takes up way too much space, and the quality is hardly noticeable if you ask me.

I just don't see the problem with sticking with HQ mp3's... if we live to see a format revolution I'll gladly rip all of my music in FLAC and buy a player that plays FLAC. But until then I'm holding on to the simplest solutions. Time are too complicated as it is :p

Yea, I understand where you are coming at. I honestly only notice audible differences in a couple songs and do use vbr mp3 (~220kbs) on my Zune HD, because of this reason, and it does not support FLAC (plus it would not fit (30+gb of FLAC = 8gb mp3 for me). I like everything to perfect, which is annoying at times, but it is really what compels me to keep my archived in a perfect quality format such as FLAC.

You may find this interesting or amusing. http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/03/mp3-sound-quality-test-128-320/
Granted, that is a fairly simple song without cymbals etc but I still found it interesting.

I tend to aim for perfection as well, but I try not to cross the madness border :p

320 is more than enough...

The test was fun... I clicked right...granted it was hard but on my metal music the difference is vivid.