Wanna train your bass processing skills?

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I sent this to the Joey Sturgis forum too, but since I don't mind sharing, I want you guys to give it a shot too with whatever processing you see fit :) Also to educate other people too, tell us what you did!

The tempo is 115, here is a wav reference mix (including C4 and L2 in the master, mainly just to make it louder)
The mp3 version is here: [soundcloud]http://www.soundcloud.com/ahjteam/water[/soundcloud]

Here is my processed bass tone as a reference from the mix (when I looked at the waveform, the limiting looks pretty severe :loco:) Your goal is to make a better tone than this that fits the mix, naturally :)

Here is the bass DI (it's clipping very briefly on loudest hits on some occasions, but that already came on the tracking stage)

and here is the backing track without bass

Some info about the bass DI track... Composed of 3 takes, no other editing other than crossfades. The bass is a $200 piece of shit ESP LTD B-50 :loco: Then it went to Radial J48 di-box and SPL Track One preamp where I applied some gain and compression, and that's pretty much it, then it went to one of the inputs on my M-Audio Profire.

On the processed track I have Camel Audio CamelCrusher (otherwise default settings except the "phat mode" is off), then Tal Tube (default settings), EQ (highpass at 60hz, lots of cutting in the 200-750hz region and a lowpass at 8khz), and limiter (3-6dB gain reduction)

Cheers. :kickass:
on the bass:
I used SSL EQ doing mostly cuts in the mids and a boost in the highs.
1176 comp on 4:1 ratio.
The usual distortion channel. It was a mild overdrive channel mixed in.
Maxx bass on group for more sub.
Limiter to control peaks.

I messed with the stereo track a little too, a little 1176 comp to glue and some m/s widening. Limiter on the master buss for loudness.

doubled the track to have seperate low and high end.

First track is the low with HP 60 Hz, LP around 240 Hz with some cut around 220 Hz.I gave it some more harmonic richness with RBass, around 85 Hz ~2db, then i limited it to hell and back.
Second track is the high end with HP 240 Hz and a little boost in the highs.I just used pod farm to distort the bass quit a bit here, then giving it ~4 db compression.
At last, i used some mild compression on the bass group.

I don't care that I bump it, but want to share my stuff.
Mix Test and Bass test
Done my beloved trick with frequency splitting in 3 bands. Low 228 Mid 1023 HI (Low = clean; Mid= HP and LP, limited and then drived, HP and LP again; hi = HP, drived, limited peaks, HP) and each band mixed to taste. At the end used cab impulse + waves Rbass + HP 40hz

Here's a test:

Bass reduce

I didn't do much at all to the bass guitar, just the usual rig.
On the guitar/drum mix track I added a highpass eq/ Pushtec EQ/ ReaXcomp (compressed the low freq @ 184 hz, 5:1)

Have you considered reducing the bass on all of your instruments? Could make the bass guitar easier to fit in.