Want to be better at singing high notes

bananskal_123

New Metal Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hi all

I just recorded a really crappy cover of victim of changes by judas priest. But it is a really damn hard song. Do you have any suggesstions on how to get a higher range?

This may not be the best advice but i'd like to emphasize something really important when it comes to singing. FIRST OFF. You need to know your range! Unfortunately, the only way to do that is sing a scale until the note you are hitting becomes a bit uncomfortable to enunciate. Learn what falsetto is and locate your highest note that way. Not to mention practicing falsetto will eventually yield you the ability to push it harder and add friction to the vocal cords. But if you are having trouble in this range? Maybe it isn;t your range? Honestly-- THE SECOND thing i'd have to suggest-- which requires some definite hard work at music-- IS TRANSPOSITION. Learn what key you can sing the song in. That's just my take-- and upon reviewing your take-- you definitely need alot of work vocally--- Practice soft before making it hard-- That way you aren't worn out by the time you do a few songs. Some tips i would suggest. And btw-- ima midrange singer-- i can do about 2 and a half octave but it has to be pushed hard towards the second-- Can i sing the song you posted? IN MY KEY YES. haha. That's a hard ass song to expect to do for just anyone. That's like saying... "I just picked up a piano beginners course. Can you show me how to play beethoven?"

Reactions: NeonMetalDude
Since I'm not really overflowing with natural talent, I need to really practice properly, know my limitation, do proper warm up and work on my technique. From what I've heard, I'd suggest for you to find some YT videos and work on your basics. You have potential, but you need the knowledge and practice to maximize it. Also, if you can't hit the high notes comfortably, don't do it, you'll hurt your vocal cords and you don't want that, trust me. Distortion on the high notes should preferably come from somewhere else, not your vocal cords. I get my distortion from my soft palate vibrating and also use it to cheat a little, since it helps me to get more pressure and thus more control on my high notes.

The way to extend your range is with patient, regular practice, but even then, you might not be able to extend your range too much, it's a combination of technique, practice and predisposition basically. But even if you find that you can't extend your range, knowing how to use your voice goes a long way. I don't have much natural low end in my voice and if I try to get distortion out of my vocal chords, they're dead within a song or two. So I learned more of a throat growl, not straining my vocal chords. That + my clean singing voice + distortion on high notes gives me some variety on how to express myself. I might not be able to match many of my favorite singers, but I'm pretty happy with sounding like myself and building a set of techniques that make me sound like the best possible version of myself. I know this might not seem very helpful, but I spent years trying to make myself sound like some other great vocalists and match their range and timbre, only to eventually realize that it's just not possible since we're all different and honestly, many singers dislike their voice and wished they sounded differently, including such a legend like Freddie Mercury.

So to sum up, I'd say go back to basics, don't try to emulate anybody, instead work on developing your own voice in the range you're comfortable with and if you end up hitting those high notes, great, if not, also fine.

Wanted to reiterate the warning not to overexert yourself at one time, cos you can really fuck up your vocal cords longterm if you're not cautious. That said, I have known people who, with patience and regular exercises, have been able to broaden their range significantly. So just make sure to warm up, stay hydrated, etc., and you should be cool. If you have the money, voice lessons can be super helpful too.

Reactions: NeonMetalDude
Wanted to reiterate the warning not to overexert yourself at one time, cos you can really fuck up your vocal cords longterm if you're not cautious. That said, I have known people who, with patience and regular exercises, have been able to broaden their range significantly. So just make sure to warm up, stay hydrated, etc., and you should be cool. If you have the money, voice lessons can be super helpful too.

Totally forgot about staying hydrated, which is super important as well, mainly if you're adding grit to your vocals or if you plan on practicing in areas where you're not 100% comfortable yet. Doing that without drinking enough room-temperature water equals almost instant sore throat.

Thats a rule i have to get better at-- the water, haha-- I love cold liquid because my body is always in the hot temperature range--

Yeah, staying hydrated is easy to forget. I started realizing it more after I started adding distortion to my singing voice, so I had to start keeping it in mind it as well. Now I automatically start looking for water when I think of starting to sing :D .