Want to buy a bass amp!

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Heyyy

I'm a bit tired to go with DIs and sansamp only. I'd like to record bass through a real amp even if sometimes I have to use IRs. My budget for this is around 500€. What I'd like to get is a round and dirty bass tone — think about the Black Album bass tone ;) Would I find something really cool in this idea for this price? I mean an amp that would be very beneficial and not just one more piece of gear in my room.

What do you think about the SVT 450H by Ampeg?

EDIT - Was thinking about the TC Electronic RH450 too. Looks like a pretty good deal for a bit more than my current budget.

Well the positive side of things, using an amp to bass is that you get a more finished tone from the start, the whole track and commit thingy. But... I'd rather buy say a B7K pedal and a HW compressor for the bass. But if you still want one i would use a guitarhead with an bass cab. Save you some money and with the right guitaramp it will sound crazy good.

Thanks! I do have several guitar amps and my Savage is quite good for bass tones but I'd like to get a good bass tone without distortion from the start. Indeed, the B7K is great, I have a good bunch of KPA profiles tho.

I got an SVT-CL, and honestly, I feel like I get a better tone with the DI out of my B7K into a 8x10 impulse. If you really want a bass amp, save some extra cash cause Darkglass is coming out with a 700-watt amp head this year that basically as the VTD/B7K built in and footswitchable (can disable dirt but keep EQ on clean). That's next on my list.

I got an SVT-CL, and honestly, I feel like I get a better tone with the DI out of my B7K into a 8x10 impulse. If you really want a bass amp, save some extra cash cause Darkglass is coming out with a 700-watt amp head this year that basically as the VTD/B7K built in and footswitchable (can disable dirt but keep EQ on clean). That's next on my list.

Yeah honestly 99% of all bass heads are so boring sounding. Sounds just like adding a clean sansamp signal to a DI. Im totally with you using a pedal on the way in and use impulses etc.

To OP: You said you had a Kemper? Then i wouldn't feel any need to adding a whole bass rig to my studio.

Reactions: wishtheend
To OP: You said you had a Kemper? Then i wouldn't feel any need to adding a whole bass rig to my studio.
Yeah that was my idea but I did not find any very good bass profile so far. I always end to record the DI and put a sansamp and/or a disto gtr profile on the track.

But your comments make me think about a pedal instead.