Want to buy Jackson but need help!!

ChrisBuckler

New Metal Member
Jan 27, 2006
Hey all i was wondering if anyone can give me some good advice. Im trying to figure out which of the randy rhodes series id like. I know i want a V but im having trouble figuring out which one is the sickest. Could u guyz gimi a hand? (im trying not to spend over 1500 :)):hotjump:

well i'd say the RR1 is the best, but some ppl like to buy the X series, i think, and mod it, which is probably considerably cheaper, but if you have the money i would say go for the RR1

RR1.

my advice is actually to get a used one from a few years back. not only will it be cheaper, but if you can find one from before Fender bought Jackson out, (4 or so years) you will find a lot higher quality construction too.

i just bought a JS30 warrior for FUN, and what can i say...the shape is nice and very comfortable. but the poor neck of this poor guitar is bad, the frets are razor sharp. so now i got wounds on my left hand. very bad job there by jackson. but i can surely fix it by my own, but think of the kids for christ sake. else....the pickups works...thats a good thing :p

anyway...

RR1 is tooooooooo oooo oooo rich for me, sorry but u are not in my league

Kenneth R. said:
RR1.

my advice is actually to get a used one from a few years back. not only will it be cheaper, but if you can find one from before Fender bought Jackson out, (4 or so years) you will find a lot higher quality construction too.

Actually, some of the last guitars produced under the old owners (AMIC/Akai Electronics) had some flaws and inconsistent hardware. I bought one of the last pre-Fender USA KV-2s, and the locking nut was garbage. The "pre-Fender is better" sentiment is mostly a myth created by people who simply dislike Fender as a company. However, AMIC was a huge corporation with very little experience in the guitar industry. They were running Jackson into the ground.

You can find a USA RR-1 or RR-1T for under $1500 if you do a little hunting. Most dealers will charge less than the advertised price if you are serious about buying. A good alternative would be an early `90s Rhoads Pro, made in Japan but superior to the current RR-5 and close to the USA models in quality.

Kenneth R. said:
RR1.

yup!! Since Fender bought out Jackson/Charvel, the quality has gone down... especially with the basses.. ew.. haha.. and the cheezy JS series.. hahah.. well.. I work at a music store and we've had to send back 2 of the C20 concert basses back because of warped necks.. and Last week, I sent back a Rhoades because of the same reason. Fender does suck ass.. they used to build decent guitars, and the custom shop still does, but in my humble opinion, they need to spend less time making clothing and home decor and get back to the business of building guitars.
The good news is, According to the Jackson dude that visited the store a few weeks back, they've actually upgraded the Japanese Jacksons to include real floyd rose tremolos and you can get them with either EMG or Seymour Duncan pickups.
I got a CMG Concert bass in Cobalt blue and I love it.. :headbang: :headbang:
but.. depending on your budget, I wouldn't go any lower than a Japanese.. the ones "crafted in India" kinda suck..

Inazone said:
Actually, some of the last guitars produced under the old owners (AMIC/Akai Electronics) had some flaws and inconsistent hardware. I bought one of the last pre-Fender USA KV-2s, and the locking nut was garbage. The "pre-Fender is better" sentiment is mostly a myth created by people who simply dislike Fender as a company. However, AMIC was a huge corporation with very little experience in the guitar industry. They were running Jackson into the ground.

You can find a USA RR-1 or RR-1T for under $1500 if you do a little hunting. Most dealers will charge less than the advertised price if you are serious about buying. A good alternative would be an early `90s Rhoads Pro, made in Japan but superior to the current RR-5 and close to the USA models in quality.

+1 Fender has only done good for Jackson by getting them running on better machines and gettin the old school guys, including master builder Mike Shannon back on the team. It's the same guys building it though (praise for em even though I have no love for Fender, but I don't hate em either). An RR1 would be the way to go

- Irfaan -

ChrisBuckler said:
Hey all i was wondering if anyone can give me some good advice. Im trying to figure out which of the randy rhodes series id like. I know i want a V but im having trouble figuring out which one is the sickest. Could u guyz gimi a hand? (im trying not to spend over 1500 :)):hotjump:

theres an rr3 that has sharkfin inlays..22frets..about $470.i think its a decent purchase. theres even a rr5 that is about $1100..and once you add more specs like finish it does cost more but even 1100 is not bad.

I have two RR3 models--it's a great guitar, but I'm not too crazy bout the Seymour Duncan Detonators that they come with. I don't know if they still come with the same pickups but one of the ones I ordered came with them. They're not bad pickups, just not really the kind of sound I look for in my playing. The 2nd one I got has the crimson swirl paint job which looks absolutely kickass, and has the Zakk Wylde signature series EMGs installed in it. I had to do that after purchasing it of course. But they freakin sound incredible. The first one I mentioned was about 700 something cuz of the paint job and the case that I ordered with it. The 2nd one was about the same price but a little more cuz of the crimson swirl, not factoring the cost of the pickups. RR3 is a good in between choice if it's your first V, or rhoads V for that matter. :)

Hey man, i strongly recomend checking out Alexi Laiho's signature, cuz it has a nice jackson V shape but unlike the jackson it has 24 frets. consider it.

Vai-Malmsteen-Laiho-Fan said:
Hey man, i strongly recomend checking out Alexi Laiho's signature, cuz it has a nice jackson V shape but unlike the jackson it has 24 frets. consider it.

Oh man, that shape is horrible. Just my opinion of course, to each his own, but the SV that was out in Japan looks much better than the USA ESP Alexi sig. But both of those are expensive compared to a RR1 (from the right dealer), but e-mail Scott @ www.vwallguitars.com or Matt @ www.mattsmusic.com Those guys are both great (their site shows list price, e-mail them for the JCF price), just tell em a JCF member referred ya to them and they usually hook people up better than most places. They'll even do better prices on the import Rhoads than most people

Eddie Misery said:
I have two RR3 models--it's a great guitar, but I'm not too crazy bout the Seymour Duncan Detonators that they come with. I don't know if they still come with the same pickups but one of the ones I ordered came with them.

This year they're coming with USA Duncans, and a better bridge. ;)

Vai-Malmsteen-Laiho-Fan said:

Gah. That thing's hideous, and overpriced. If you want a Japanese made RR shape with 24 frets, order a *real* Jackson Stars from Ikebe. Same quality, better price.

and its alexi is easyer to play when sitting down the v shaped jacksons(if thats wat u want) sux at playing when sitting down

newBLACKways said:
and its alexi is easyer to play when sitting down the v shaped jacksons(if thats wat u want) sux at playing when sitting down

hm, I dont see what would make the laiho-model easier to play sitting down than a Jackson RR..... that said, I dont really have problems playing V-shapes sitting down. just hold it like a classical guitar