Want to start working on 90s black metal production album (Looking for pointers)

Aristocratus

New Metal Member
Feb 10, 2013
I'm attempting to record a great album that takes its production cues from albums like,
1) Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
2) Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
3) Cradle of Filth - Dusk and Her Embrace
4) Immortal - In the Heart of Winter
5) Dissection - Storm of the Light's bane
6) Rotting Christ - Triarchy of the Lost Lovers

Or rather, I've jotted down the most pleasing productions from memory.

There is a whole host of problems, though. I'm quite clueless towards the technical details of this whole process. While I've been doing everything digitally, using a custom Addictive Drums set, Korg M1 and Triton keys, TLX x50 amplifier and an impulse pack, which has produced production with more character than what I hear the local bands release, I still haven't braved the expanses of those legendary albums. Still, I'm willing to put hours upon hours into the production to attempt something similar. My problem is learning how the basics of production work, instead of fooling around with levels and settings until something half as good appears.

1) Is there a big difference between direct in'ing the instruments as opposed to recording with mics in a studio? I'm aware that the programs I am using say they are emulating tubes, or have recorded wav forms of professional drum beats. If the studio is superior, is this because of the room that creates the atmosphere?

2) How important is the guitar? Do the pickups, knobs 'make' a sound? Where can I learn about this?

3) If there are thousands of digital amp simulators and drum programs, how do I know which is the most suited to my needs?

4) Is mastering the icing on the cake, or is it what 'brings' out a mix?

5) How can I achieve a '90's sound as opposed to the robotic 'perfect' sound of modern metal? Compare Megadeth, the dirty erraticness of Peace Sells to the sterility of Endgame as what I mean.

6) Any tutorials or books that can get me started on this journey?

Danke!