wanting to start the keys, but need help!

goth_fiend

happiness is jagermiester
Jan 15, 2004
california
im looking into playing keyboards/synth now simply because nobody in my area does it plus the fact that i wouldnt mind knowing how to do some stuff besides just go apes#$t on guitar, that being said, im looking for a board that will be able to handle nightwish style arrangements (full orchestration's if possible, ala "ghost love score", "nemo" or "dark chest of wonders") does anybody know of an inexpensive, but high quality unit that can do this, and if not, any software that can do this that wont murder my bank account? thanks

Try the Alesis QS6.2, maybe. It's a no-frills ROMpler that's very solid.

If you want to go the software route, and you're only looking for orchestral sounds, go with either Garritan Personal Orchestra or EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver. I personally own GPO, and it rocks.

Cool! the same day you posted this thread, I bought my first keyboard/synth for the very same reason.

Picked up a second hand Roland JV-80 for AU$500

it's a fantastic unit, some brilliant piano & organ sounds. String sounds are ok too but the classical guitar sound (on the lower keys) is superb. I reckon half the job is learning how to program these things. They aren't too idiot proof.

It's a great investment, if you buy second hand, check EVERY SINGLE key, button, knob, lever and slider.

I use the Roland Ax-7 keytar. It's a bit awkward when you're using 2 hands and trying to do huge arpeggios and stuff, but the simple fact that it looks way different from any other keyboards gets alot of people to want to see my band play.

One other thing to keep in mind is that some keyboards (like mine) are just midi controllers, so unless you want to drop another $500 to get a nice midi box like the Roland JV-1010, make sure you don't buy a midi-only keyboard.