Warlord - The Holy Empire.....your thoughts?

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
so I have been talking to a few people and so far people are really split on this long awaited new album.

I really was hoping some more quick catchy stuff. This time around they went more epic. Almost sounding like a lot of the greek epic stuff. Then it hit me...it is more Lordian Guard sounding...even though they are a offshoot of Warlord. While it has the Warlord sound and is still a good album...it just is kind of dull at times. Curious to see what others think about it....I have heard this so far it is the greatest thing this year to it is just okay.

anyone else have it yet?

There were a few worthwhile tracks but I found it a bit dull. It was definitely more doom-y than I was expecting. There were multiple times it reminded me of While Heaven Wept. I also did not like the religious lyrics. I'll probably give it one more listen but I doubt I will be spinning this often. Luckily I also got the reissue of Deliver Us which I have listened to about 10 times since I got it.

there is always an underlying fear with me when old bands who broke up reform and do new albums. Most of the time they are never good or they try to modernize thier sound to a current sound which never works. So far in the past few years I can only think of a few albums that really stuck out as great from a band that either broke up and reunited, or was on hiatus for a very very long time.

For me it is the new Angel Witch and Persian Risk. I would put the Tygers of Pan Tang on there as well but they have been active here and ther and never really disbanded.

Still waiting to get mine in the mail. However, from the samples I've heard you are right on. I was very pleased that it sounds like classic Warlord, nothing grabbed me the way Child Of The Damned, Lucifer's Hammer, or pretty much any song on Deliver Us or Cannons... did.

I'm very interested in this, but also hesitant. Due to the reasons above, and the fact that I only like the Deliver Us EP of all the Tsamis stuff I've heard.

I agree with your statement...this new album is far from the early stuff. It has the same sound but song structure and stuff is more epic.

I listened to that 20 minute teaser or whatever and the guitar melodies just kill me, love it. Haven't heard the whole thing yet. How religious are these lyrics? I could get behind them if they were badass like Cross (US) or something.

They are just religious enough to irritate me. I mean he is not talking about jesus or resurrections but it enough to know he is talking about god when he using the word father.

I mean I don't really give a shit if the lyrics are religious. Singing about Satan, Odin, Jesus, Vishnu, etc etc is all the same to me. It's just a matter of whether the subject matter is cool or not (war, honour, betrayal, death, strife, heroes, motorbikes vs. I love Jesus, stay in school). I'd love to hear a really rip-roaring metal band with lyrics being like "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL! REPENT, SINNER!" that actually believes what they're saying. That would impress me.

I have not heard the album yet, but the small bits I have are a bit disappointing. It reminds me a lot of Lordian Guard which was not bad especially considering there was no Warlord when it came out.
I do think has with most older bands putting out a new album after so long that high expectations are set for this. Often when that happens no matter what the album is not going to achieve it. But hey it does seem as bad as 'Astronaumica' was.

I mean I don't really give a shit if the lyrics are religious. Singing about Satan, Odin, Jesus, Vishnu, etc etc is all the same to me. It's just a matter of whether the subject matter is cool or not (war, honour, betrayal, death, strife, heroes, motorbikes vs. I love Jesus, stay in school). I'd love to hear a really rip-roaring metal band with lyrics being like "YOU'RE GOING TO HELL! REPENT, SINNER!" that actually believes what they're saying. That would impress me.

This. 100% this. I really have never cared whether or not a band is being satanic or preaching God and Jesus or anywhere in between. As far as how I've thought it's all about how interesting the story behind the song is, with of course it being a cool song minus the lyrics.

They are just religious enough to irritate me. I mean he is not talking about jesus or resurrections but it enough to know he is talking about god when he using the word father.

I thought you were a fan of Neal Morse. He's the only one that at times I really cannot stand in terms of religious lyrics.

Warlord live was a HUGE letdown. The singer they had from Dragonclaw I think just couldnt hit the high notes live. They were very sloppy early on but near the last half of the set they tightened up. You could tell they they are not an active band when playing....no real unity felt in thier set.