Warning - Watching From A Distance

WHW? The most corny band ever? I understand what they're attempting, but they fail so badly at it that all the songs somehow come out sounding like Phil Collins and Journey covers. "Of Empires Forlorn" is a travesty.

The band definitely has a huge polarity as far as opinions are concerned. Bottom line is they are brilliant and one of the best songwriters around. Now, just wait until their new one drops soon.

That said, I can see how people may not appreciate them. I didnt at first either. I also, thought they were corny at first. Go figure.

The band definitely has a huge polarity as far as opinions are concerned. Bottom line is they are brilliant and one of the best songwriters around. Now, just wait until their new one drops soon.

Yeah, that new rough track sounded really promising. It sounded like Voice in the Wind (which sounds like a Freedom Call ballad) with no vocals and even less guitar.

Well, first of all, I agree with Susperia.

"Footprints" might just be one of my favourite songs of all time. I've got the Die Hard version of this album in the mail from Evil Legend Records as we speak! Can't wait!

As for While Heaven Wept... they are excellent! I had actually never heard them until about an hour ago, but the songs on their myspace are really quite something. Jean-Pierre's bizarre assesment of the band seems to indicate reluctance to give them much of a chance?

As for While Heaven Wept... they are excellent! I had actually never heard them until about an hour ago, but the songs on their myspace are really quite something. Jean-Pierre's bizarre assesment of the band seems to indicate reluctance to give them much of a chance?

Dude, I've listened to their two albums numerous times. There's nothing good about them. Nothing. Especially not on "Empires Forlorn." The worst part about that one is their cover of Candlemass, eugh, awful. It sounded like they hated playing the song.

Different strokes, for different folks. You're still on crack though. I dont see how anyone can say something like, for example, "Thus With A Kiss I Die" is not good. It's fucking brilliant songwriting/musicianship in every way.

Different strokes, for different folks. You're still on crack though. I dont see how anyone can say something like, for example, "Thus With A Kiss I Die" is not good. It's fucking brilliant songwriting/musicianship in every way.

I'm sorry I had to. :(

n22800977_30773834_9296.jpg

While Heaven Wept is vile, saccharine crap. I'm amazed that such credible people as you and Rich Walker actually pay credence to these compositionally incompetent musicians. I think Abominatrix's review for Of Empires Forlorn sums up the band well.

Yeah, I have to say I haven't liked anything by While Heaven Wept either----though I haven't heard a whole lot.

I would also never compare them to Warning. They sound nothing alike.

While Heaven Wept is vile, saccharine crap. I'm amazed that such credible people as you and Rich Walker actually pay credence to these compositionally incompetent musicians. I think Abominatrix's review for Of Empires Forlorn sums up the band well.

I appreciate the kind words my man, but seriously, as I have said, they are EXTREMELY polarizing. Either you love them or hate them...I fucking LOVE them.

And "compositionally Incompetent Musicians" is a RIDICULOUSLY ignorant statement. Them fuckers can play circles around 99% of bands out there. They are phenomenal musicians and phenomenal composers. Very classically trained.

Wow, I'm surprised at the comments about While Heaven Wept, especially because I enjoyed the tracks I've heard off of their first album. I haven't heard anything of the newer one. I thought it was great, the slow stuff was great, but the faster stuff seemed out of place; moreover, I didn't think it was utter crap at all.

I would also never compare them to Warning. They sound nothing alike.

They both work their songs around the same lyrical theme and attempt to bring a crushing atmosphere of loss and sorrow to the table. One succeeds, one fails. Doesn't mean they sound alike.

Wow, I'm surprised at the comments about While Heaven Wept, especially because I enjoyed the tracks I've heard off of their first album. I haven't heard anything of the newer one. I thought it was great, the slow stuff was great, but the faster stuff seemed out of place; moreover, I didn't think it was utter crap at all.

The newer one isnt coming out until later this year.

Of Empires Forlorn is what I haven't heard, Sorrow Of The Angels is what I have heard. The first track on Sorrow was utterly crushing and atmospheric, I fucking loved it.

I appreciate the kind words my man, but seriously, as I have said, they are EXTREMELY polarizing. Either you love them or hate them...I fucking LOVE them.

And "compositionally Incompetent Musicians" is a RIDICULOUSLY ignorant statement. Them fuckers can play circles around 99% of bands out there. They are phenomenal musicians and phenomenal composers. Very classically trained.

Okay, in fairness they're not incompetent musically speaking, and they do have some good songs in full and an abundance of good ideas, but they fail to pull it all together. What I really, honestly hear when I listen to While Heaven Wept is a failed vision. I can sense what they're trying to do with this music, but they don't quite get there, and while at times the keyboards work, oftentimes they are a hindrance more than a benefit, and it just becomes pure cheese, which I simply cannot appreciate at all. The guitar work, especially the lead work, is immaculate, and at times the vocals are spectacular. The last minute of the title track from the last album is an incredible moment, and is also the best song on the album. However, like I said, an album's worth of this, not only do I don't think I would be able to tolerate, but I also don't think the band is able to pull off.

I don't get how people can think they know what a band is trying to achieve. As far as I'm concerned, basing any part of your evaluation of a band's music on whether they've failed to achieve their "vision" - even if they've explecitly stated the parameters - is a cop out, plain and simple. Hate them all you want, but why not hate them for what is there as opposed to being so fanciful about it?

I don't get how people can think they know what a band is trying to achieve. As far as I'm concerned, basing any part of your evaluation of a band's music on whether they've failed to achieve their "vision" - even if they've explecitly stated the parameters - is a cop out, plain and simple. Hate them all you want, but why not hate them for what is there as opposed to being so fanciful about it?

First of all, I'm an English Major, so that's my job. :p Secondly, it's not like their motives and their intentions are so incredibly masked that nothing could be reasonably inferred. I mean, they have a 34392 page long biography on their page and lyrics to everything, which reveal an incredible amount of information about the band and the band's motives that I don't think what I said was at all unjustified.

Also, I don't think I've ever said that I hate them, and if I did, it was for exaggerated effect. The reality is that I don't hate the band, and I don't dislike the band, though I find some of their work to be bordering on unlistenable, namely Voice in the Wind, which seems to be a cover. But there are and will probably always be glaring shortcomings for me, particularly the generally poor utilization of keyboards, the guitar being in the background too much, and the lack-luster vocal performance (particularly on Sorrow of the Angels). Though from what I understand, remasters are planned for both albums, so maybe some of this may be fixed in the future.

However, like I said in RC, I'm giving the band a second chance. This time with Sorrow Of The Angels. It's been a good while since I've listened to this album, so most of my criticism stems from an evaluation of Of Empires Forlorn. For the sake of the band, I'm hoping this album is better (and in fact I do remember it being better). We'll see what happens. Either way, however, I highly doubt that I will ever come to praise them as an incredible band or among the best Doom Metal bands of today, which most people seem to do.