Was Oliva on painkillers....

Oct 4, 2007
... or is he normally that goofy playing live?

In any case, it made for one hell of an interesting show, and the highlight of the weekend.

Thanks Jon for being a true professional and gutting out the rib injury and delivering one of the more memorable live performances I've seen in quite some time.

Hes always a goof like that! Great show! Pain of Salvation ripped my soul out and Oliva ate it afterwards! What a fucking festival! Glenn, it was an awesome way to say goodbye! Thank God we fucked it up! See ya next year!

My first time seeing him live, but personally I love it when bands are like that on stage. Much like Pain of Salvation was Wednesday night. Just makes it so much more fun and entertaining for me. Even with it all he still put on probably the best show at this ProgPower, if not my (admittedly small) entire concert experience so far.

Jon is a character, with or without the meds *haha* Fantastic show, one of the best in ProgPower history IMO - just glad it didn't signal the end...

Saw the setlist......

Kind of makes you think later this year they might be doing a 25th Anniversary of Gutter Ballet show

I was wondering if that was potentially in their plans.

Hoping that someone can re-name this thread “The Pure Awesomeness That Is Jon Oliva.” WAS he on painkillers? I sure hope so after what he’d just gone through. (And yes, Jon's always like that - the man has *no* filter. I always thought he could go into comedy if he gets tired of music). It would be unfortunate to have this set immortalized with the current thread title.

It’s ironic that Jon is a Need fan, because the best way I can think of to describe last night’s experience is a line from Need’s “Orvam”:

“We shall squeeze you empty and then we shall fill you with ourselves.”

Holy crap. I laughed my ass off, bawled my eyes out, pumped my fists in the air, and cheered until I thought I would bust a vocal cord. I left Center Stage 100% spent. :lol::headbang::cry:

And Jon pulled all of that off with a broken rib?? Are you fucking kidding me??? Hoping that a certain band stuck around for this set, as THAT, my friends, is how you put on a rock’n’roll show. :Smug:

One of my favorite sets EVER after 9 years of ProgPowers. :worship:notworthy:worship:

Jon Oliva's pain was our gain! As LunaTEKKE and others have said this usual for Jon. However I wonder if it was an even better performance because he had some of that "water" :lol:

If you missed last night's set, you missed a once in a lifetime event. We will be talking about this for years! It was not just a concert, it was an experience. :headbang: :kickass:

I can't see how this set can be topped. Ever.

I laughed my ass off, bawled my eyes out, pumped my fists in the air, and cheered until I thought I would bust a vocal cord. I left Center Stage 100% spent.

Couldn't have said it better myself... absolutely amazing... I can't believe I stood 4 feet from Jon Oliva as he performed my favorite Savatage album... A priceless memory I will always cherish.

This is what makes ProgPower USA the best festival in the world!

No kidding, I saw tears in some eyes during 'believe'. What an emotional show.

I was one of them, and I didn't think it was going to happen. Also during 'If I Go Away'.

Fantastic show, Streets sounded phenomenal, and I was SO excited and happy that he opened with, let alone played, Surrender. My favorite from Poets and Madmen, which I was hoping to hear, but in all seriousness didn't expect to be played.

:worship:

After reading the thread by JOP, my apologies for the insinuation in the title. It was probably the "water" that made Jon goofier than usual.

Again, thanks for a great show.

Better than I every could have expected. Purely awesome.

I have to say, Bill Hudson was awesome on those solos. I was impressed.

My gosh yes. Hudson was amazing. If you closed your eyes you'd think it was Criss playing some of those. I damn near teared up thinking about it.

My gosh yes. Hudson was amazing. If you closed your eyes you'd think it was Criss playing some of those. I damn near teared up thinking about it.
exactly, my buddy Brian and I were discussing how he played just like Criss.