Wasted Years solo

Well someone probably can, but I don't use them, but what I found is that playing the strings off each other used as little moveable patterns; really it’s not more than that and the rhythm is the key to nailing the notes, but choke up on the pick and think in terms of moving intervals.

RoboCaster said:
Well someone probably can, but I don't use them, but what I found is that playing the strings off each other used as little moveable patterns; really it’s not more than that and the rhythm is the key to nailing the notes, but choke up on the pick and think in terms of moving intervals.

It's the part from 3.28-3.37 which is giving me bother, but I think it could just be the speed of it which is the key.

Metallicat180 said:
It's the part from 3.28-3.37 which is giving me bother, but I think it could just be the speed of it which is the key.

Ya oughta get a software or a Tascam and slow it down to learn it.

Give me a couple of days and I can make a slowed down clip of a section if you want it.

For hard stuff I really slow it down then on a piece of paper just count notes with tick marks. Then speed up a bit to find what the notes are.

Many tabs you find are whacked. Trust your ears.

If they do it tonight at Canes I'll film Liz as close as I can.
No pressure Liz.:lol: :lol: :lol: :kickass:

Jim

spideyjg said:
Ya oughta get a software or a Tascam and slow it down to learn it.

Give me a couple of days and I can make a slowed down clip of a section if you want it.

For hard stuff I really slow it down then on a piece of paper just count notes with tick marks. Then speed up a bit to find what the notes are.

Many tabs you find are whacked. Trust your ears.

If they do it tonight at Canes I'll film Liz as close as I can.
No pressure Liz.:lol: :lol: :lol: :kickass:

Jim

I can slow it down in Audacity, but it's still hard. Thanks anyway. I need to give it to my friend cos he'll get it in two seconds flat now it's been slowed. He was having trouble with it at normal speed.

Hahaha, yeah - film Liz doing it please! That would be awesome!!!

actually its not that hard if you have really studied Adrian's style.. though I have long since stopped trying to get solos note-perfect; I would rather stay in the context of the solo and do something slightly different.... I bought the Powerslave/Somewhere in Time songbook back when I bought my first guitar and the solo is pretty much right on.. Wolf Marshall was awesome at transcribing Maiden songs....

Metallicat180 said:
Haha, need to get Liz on here to give me a hand!!!!

As much as I love Wasted Years, it's kind of a boring one to play from Dave's point of view. Not much going on there at all!!!

I don’t know; rhythm is the best part of the song, that’s what makes the whole song work…
Listen to the rhythm during the solo and see how it overlays the solo perfectly, and there in lies the secret to the speed, cause it ain’t about speed it just sounds like it’s being played fast, but it’s not at the heart of the solo. Once you find the where to play the strings off eachother in the little riffs, and where to throw in three note patterns for filler, it will come across as fast; just relax and play the rhythm.

Rendclaw said:
actually its not that hard if you have really studied Adrian's style.. though I have long since stopped trying to get solos note-perfect; I would rather stay in the context of the solo and do something slightly different.... I bought the Powerslave/Somewhere in Time songbook back when I bought my first guitar and the solo is pretty much right on.. Wolf Marshall was awesome at transcribing Maiden songs....

Most of the parts I know are Davey's, so it is hard!! :lol: I'm not interested in getting it absolutely perfect, just getting something that resembles it which is not happening at the moment.

Would you be able to scan the solo from it and post/pm it to me please??? :worship:

RoboCaster said:
I don’t know; rhythm is the best part of the song, that’s what makes the whole song work…
Listen to the rhythm during the solo and see how it overlays the solo perfectly, and there in lies the secret to the speed, cause it ain’t about speed it just sounds like it’s being played fast, but it’s not at the heart of the solo. Once you find the where to play the strings off eachother in the little riffs, and where to throw in three note patterns for filler, it will come across as fast; just relax and play the rhythm.

I love playing the song but I just think there's not that much for someone as accomplished as Davey to do during that one!! :lol: Same with SIASL as well. Only right that H should get the glory cos he wrote them I guess!! :headbang:

Rhythm is where feeling is generated, and it comes across as finesse when applied to a solo; I wish I could find that article on the seven rules to soloing and how to not think about them when using them, but if you want some good tools, check out JfRocks.com; this guy can rip it up.

Okay, I listened to that segment of the solo, and I had some trouble with it myself... its basically three or four notes, but played in a succession that is a little tricky... let me see what I can do about finding you that passage... there is a little MIDI program called Power Tab that actually plays the songs in MIDI, the only problem being that it is still left up to the accuracy of the person transcribing the song, and there are some screwy tabs of songs out there....

EDIT: Okay, after looking the Power Tab versions of the song and recovering from being physically ill, I pulled out my old songbook, and the riff is transcribed on the high E string at the 15th fret, and as I suspected, it is basically four notes. I use the B string and go to the 19th fret and go for there, but it looks something like this:

E 15 14 15P12 15p12 15 14H15 12H15p12H15 14 15p12 15 12H15p14 15 12H15 12 15 14 15 12H15p14 15
B 12

E 12 15 12 14H15p12 15 12 15 14 12 15 12H15p14 15 12 15p12 15p12~~~~~
B

H are hammerons, and p are pulloffs, of course. Just by letting your fingers go you can make that part sound similar to the solo without being hyper accurate. After all, its someone else's interpretation of Adrian's solo. But its basically three notes with a fourth one thrown in near the beginning of that passage.

Hope this helps.

Rendclaw said:
Okay, I listened to that segment of the solo, and I had some trouble with it myself... its basically three or four notes, but played in a succession that is a little tricky... let me see what I can do about finding you that passage... there is a little MIDI program called Power Tab that actually plays the songs in MIDI, the only problem being that it is still left up to the accuracy of the person transcribing the song, and there are some screwy tabs of songs out there....

EDIT: Okay, after looking the Power Tab versions of the song and recovering from being physically ill, I pulled out my old songbook, and the riff is transcribed on the high E string at the 15th fret, and as I suspected, it is basically four notes. I use the B string and go to the 19th fret and go for there, but it looks something like this:

E 15 14 15P12 15p12 15 14H15 12H15p12H15 14 15p12 15 12H15p14 15 12H15 12 15 14 15 12H15p14 15
B 12

E 12 15 12 14H15p12 15 12 15 14 12 15 12H15p14 15 12 15p12 15p12~~~~~
B

H are hammerons, and p are pulloffs, of course. Just by letting your fingers go you can make that part sound similar to the solo without being hyper accurate. After all, its someone else's interpretation of Adrian's solo. But its basically three notes with a fourth one thrown in near the beginning of that passage.

Hope this helps.

Brian, that is awesome, thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jim videoed Liz doing it and I thought she was playing something like this. Could I also be a pain and ask you to write out the little run down of notes just after this as well please, that bit I was also unsure of.

Okay, lets see if this comes out right:

E 12 14H15 12H14H15 12

B 13H15 12H13 12

G 14 12 14 11H12 11

D 14 12H14 10H12 9

Unforutnately its not coming out right... but thats about as close as I can get.