Wasted Years solo

Metallicat180 said:
Haha, need to get Liz on here to give me a hand!!!!

As much as I love Wasted Years, it's kind of a boring one to play from Dave's point of view. Not much going on there at all!!!

Hmmmm, I think I know what part your talking about. Is it like the middle of the solo your referring to? if so, I know exactly how it is played.

I just don’t think that you can play good lead without playing good rhythm, one needs to understand how the rhythm is laid out, and how it's turn arounds work in order to transfer that to the solo. You kinda’ play two guitars, the rhythm with your mind and the solo with your hands, sure some trills and vibratos; that siad it needs logic behind it, but don't make more out of it then it is.. this way you just think of the music, not the tools.

Hey Metalakitty, if you want to play so good shi…. un yea good stuff, I recommend Angel of Retribution by Priest, I think it’s best thing they ever made, it’s power chords, but there are lots of changes that happen fast, however, the rhythm and timing are paramount, this is the best album I ever played next to Brave New World.

RoboCaster said:
I just don’t think that you can play good lead without playing good rhythm, one needs to understand how the rhythm is laid out, and how it's turn arounds work in order to transfer that to the solo. You kinda’ play two guitars, the rhythm with your mind and the solo with your hands, sure some trills and vibratos; that siad it needs logic behind it, but don't make more out of it then it is.. this way you just think of the music, not the tools.

i agree! and rhythm on this song is way cool - i love getting in the pocket with linda and wanda on it - especially during the lead there's some cool accents. it's really not boring at all!

RoboCaster said:
Hey Metalakitty, if you want to play so good shi…. un yea good stuff, I recommend Angel of Retribution by Priest, I think it’s best thing they ever made, it’s power chords, but there are lots of changes that happen fast, however, the rhythm and timing are paramount, this is the best album I ever played next to Brave New World.

I do like Judas Priest but don't have that album. I want to focus on learning more Metallica songs tho, I don't know that many of them really. :erk:

MiniMurray said:
i agree! and rhythm on this song is way cool - i love getting in the pocket with linda and wanda on it - especially during the lead there's some cool accents. it's really not boring at all!

Um, ok let me rephrase that then. Playing it on your own, in your room with only your cd player for company is kinda boring.

Better??

Metallicat180 said:
Yeah, that's the bit I mean. Brian's (Rendclaw) tab above seems to be accurate tho.

OK, let me try and transcribe this for ya. It is as follows

15 high E (w/1st finger), 19th fret B (w/Pinky) back to 15 high E (w/1st finger), 17th Fret B string ( 3rd finger), 16th fret G string (middle finger) to 17th Fret B string, and start over.

I used 2 references for this riff, the Maiden England video and Adrian Smith himself. This is exactly how he plays this part, and it is a pain in the @$$ to play. I relearned this part about 6 weeks ago, and I metronome this everyday. it's a kind of 3 string weird sweep, and this was the beginning of Adrian's sweep picking/classical phrasings stuff you hear on Brave New World and Dance of Death.

SanctuaryIMT said:
OK, let me try and transcribe this for ya. It is as follows

15 high E (w/1st finger), 19th fret B (w/Pinky) back to 15 high E (w/1st finger), 17th Fret B string ( 3rd finger), 16th fret G string (middle finger) to 17th Fret B string, and start over.

I used 2 references for this riff, the Maiden England video and Adrian Smith himself. This is exactly how he plays this part, and it is a pain in the @$$ to play. I relearned this part about 6 weeks ago, and I metronome this everyday. it's a kind of 3 string weird sweep, and this was the beginning of Adrian's sweep picking/classical phrasings stuff you hear on Brave New World and Dance of Death.

Yeap I use all my fingers on that too.

Metallicat180 said:
I do like Judas Priest but don't have that album. I want to focus on learning more Metallica songs tho, I don't know that many of them really. :erk:

Hey if you get the desire to crack that Priest, then you should know they use alternate tuning, not A440; personally I’ve avoid it as long as I could but now, I kinda’ like it, because the low end voice overs and a little heavier bottom end while chunking out rhythms without sounding like grunge.

I don’t know about all the Priest, but imagine it’s all the same as Angel of Retribution; it took me a little while the figure this out, that I remember a blurb about it somewhere, but he tunes in: Eb, A#, D#, G#, B#, E#.

Now it sounds right, without using reasonable fakes for some parts, this maybe why I had a hard time getting Robin Trower to key in exactly.

You gotta’ have a tuner, because you can’t hear it, like you can with a440 tuning from 6 down.

I was wrong, it's a miracle I got it to work before, but the Priest tune is actually:Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb, a half step, but the new live release is a full step a semitone lower; Priest is a moving target, just know that if you take it on.

more often than not though, the tabs tend to be inaccurate as all hell. Even the Power Tabs. I was listening to the version of Wasted Years I have, and the rhythm sections moved everything up to the damned *first position*!!! I about lost my lunch.

Hell, *everyone* who knows Maiden even a little bit knows that the C5, D5, E5 was as much of a signature of theirs as the gallop picking! The guy who made the Power tab I have is an idiot.

*takes a breath and calms down*

Blizard said:
Aha! I'm here....ok, everybody can relax now....I have the solutions to all your problems....hahaha.
Now I don't know if I should be giving out my secrets to success, but then again, what the hell.

I use the all mighty (drum roll please Linda):

UltimateGuitar.com and from the listings there I download the Power Tab version tabs.

Happy Soloing!!

I love this great unpretentious reply. Yes folks, the secrets to this music is available online. No need to make it so hard on yourself anymore. There is a wealth of information out there these days.

Wow that would be fun to have the drum charts online somewhere. It would certainly make my day easier, especially if they were accurate! I come from the school of learning by ear first. Kinda old fashioned that way I guess? :lol: Liz starts with the tabs as a guide and then adjusts from there so fear not Rendclaw. :) She knows when she's been led astray and things aren't sounding right. :headbang:

Doodoobubbachuck said:
Liz starts with the tabs as a guide and then adjusts from there so fear not Rendclaw. :) She knows when she's been led astray and things aren't sounding right. :headbang:

Tabs are good for guidance and getting in the ballpark. To pull it off period is gonna take serious skill.

I remember using a tab for the Wasted Years bass part all going up the neck on the G string and although it works, I watched Wanda walk it from G to the E string in a much more efficient motion. :worship:

Cheat sheets or not, pulling it off live as well as they do, the ladies are just flat out bad ass players. :kickass:

Jim

When you think about it....Classical musicians are all playing off of sheet music, so why does it matter that rock musicians now also have the luxury of so much music available in printed form. For us old schoolers that had to repeatedly place the needle of the record player back to the part we were trying to learn, I think this was very valuable ear training when there was so much struggle involved. I wonder if kids these days are developing their inner ear that is invaluable when trying to write a song.

nlukes said:
Classical musicians are all playing off of sheet music, so why does it matter that rock musicians now also have the luxury of so much music available in printed form.
For us old schoolers that had to repeatedly place the needle of the record player back to the part we were trying to learn, I think this was very valuable ear training when there was so much struggle involved. I wonder if kids these days are developing their inner ear that is invaluable when trying to write a song.

I know what you mean Nancy, though I think the difference between a classical score and sheet music/tabs is that the classical score is actually the music as written by the composer & sheet music/tabs are only as good as the ear of the person who transcribed it.

It's always helpful to have as much info as possible but at the end of the day I agree a musician is better off developing the ear much as possible. Notation is to music what writing is to language - a means to create a record of the sounds made, not the other way around.

Today's musicians have access to a wealth of information that wasn't available even just 30 years ago! Aren't we lucky to be born in this era? Or maybe not - perhaps the fact that you had to really seek this stuff out, that it wasn't available at the click of a mouse made it more valuable, more your own, so to speak, in some respects. Hard to say.....

Hmm, actually the Hal Leonard music books / tab are spot on. The stuff on the internet is hit or miss.

Kids today have it great. I wish all this info was available when I was learning. It sucked having to work that hard to learn songs. Now a person can join a cover band and learn the whole song list in a week or 2 where it used to take months.

Air Raid Siren said:
I know what you mean Nancy, though I think the difference between a classical score and sheet music/tabs is that the classical score is actually the music as written by the composer & sheet music/tabs are only as good as the ear of the person who transcribed it.

Exactly Aja. If you have a score written by the original creator there is no doubt what to play.

Any transcription is subject to errors. It may be close but not quite. I checked out a Red Hot Chili Peppers tab of Otherside and there are critical notes left out.

My other peeve with tab is the notes may be correct but the positioning sucks. I took the Wasted Years bass tab going down the G string, wrote on the actual notes, then, remembering Wanda's positioning, played it like she does. I found it was far cleaner the way she does it.

Jim