Wasted Years solo

nlukes said:
Hmm, actually the Hal Leonard music books / tab are spot on. The stuff on the internet is hit or miss.
I've heard that from other players who have used tab, too. I'm not too familiar with it but I will take the word of those in the know! That is - if the music is in their catalogue. Does Hal Leonard carry any Maiden, I wonder?:p

spideyjg said:
Any transcription is subject to errors. It may be close but not quite. I checked out a Red Hot Chili Peppers tab of Otherside and there are critical notes left out.
Yea I've seen some sheet music that would make ya cringe if it was played as written. So corny!! :lol:

On the other side I have a book for Stevie Wonder's Songs in the Key of Life - he supervises the transcriptions & makes sure the bass lines and instr. voicings are correct.

Air Raid Siren said:
Yea I've seen some sheet music that would make ya cringe if it was played as written. So corny!! :lol:

I can imagine. I tried some drum programming, laid out a passage, hit the play, and OMG what a horror! :erk: :ill: I think it would take less time to actually learn drums than to learn the freaking software.

Jim

Yea I know sometimes it can take months to actually play a song the correct way as opposed to some reasonable fake, which I expect most tabs are. It seems though once you get used to a certain style you recognize the patterns, tools, keys, chords and picking technique; you get better at solving more songs, by same band. Like new Priest I was watching the solos and some of that I would have spent a great deal of time nailing it, but when I can see it I can recognize the sounds of certain sweeps, cords, picking and strumming strait down of up and down.

It helps to watch the live DVD's if you get one where they show the playing.

Blizard said:
Now, some people talk about how "easy" it is now a days. And no, it's not that "easy". One thing is to do it like ass, another thing is to do it right and it's a whole other monster to do it right in front of hundreds of people.
There are many hours of studying and constant discipline required to pull it off. And to my own personal opinion, I think the band does it quite nicely...

Next!

Exactly my point Liz. The reference material is available but pulling it off is the thing period. Back in my day you had to hope there was a transcription in the newest issue of a magazine. The web now has far more material, but you still have to play it.
It is not just the note but the way it is hit as well. That can't be written.

You ladies make it look effortless but I know damn good and well you put a lot of effort into making it look that way. Even with a CO2 shot to the back. :lol:

Your still bad ass players. :worship: :worship:

The band does it far more than just nicely.:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: That is why you see my geeky self at the shows.

Jim

Well I didn’t hear any bitterness in this thread, I’m hearing people talking about the differences of playing by ear, winging it or working it out, playing tabs, and the availability to get lots more information on music these days by way of the computer. Like JfRocks the transcriber who said that what he shows on DVDs these days he wishes that someone would have shown him how to use in a sentence, cause his teacher would tell him here is a scale, learn it and come back next week. I do know this music teacher is like doesn’t know why someone wont use tabs, then other music teacher who prefer to learn to listen and recognize what the hear; personally, I’m too lazy for tabs, but although, it might have sped some things up at times.

If anything us old folks are jealous that we didn't have such technology available when we learned.

I love my Tascam bass trainer and Cafe Walter headphone amp and they soooo would have been the cats ass when I was a yewt trying to learn.

Then again taking proper lessons would have been a huge help as well but, traveling in the military, that wasn't an option either.

Jim

Well as far as the Guitar Tascam is concerned, I feel like I'm lucky I can play anything at all... crap I can't hear the slight distinctions between details and it's all guessing; and slight distinctions are where it's at, but I can hear them on the JCM 2000.

RoboCaster said:
Well as far as the Guitar Tascam is concerned, I feel like I'm lucky I can play anything at all... crap I can't hear the slight distinctions between details and it's all guessing; and slight distinctions are where it's at, but I can hear them on the JCM 2000.

True it excels at helping determine what note is being played but how it is being played does get lost and that is where the work begins.

For bass I always say the right hand determines how it will sound and the left what will sound. The gadgets help with the left but the right is up to the player.

Jim

RoboCaster said:
The only thing the GT1 has going for it is, portability, and that's all.

If the GT eats batteries like the BT "portability" is stretching it. Bastid sucks down a set of 4 AA alkalines in about an hour. :bah:

Jim

I have the adapter for it. I use NiMH in a lot of places but don't even bother with the Tascam. Adapter is the only way with that thing.

Unless needing to slow stuff down I use my Cafe Walter sitting on the Maidens CD. It is far less fragile than the Tascam.

Jim

Cafe002.jpg

spideyjg said:
If anything us old folks are jealous that we didn't have such technology available when we learned.
The availability of the technology definitely gives the younger players an edge, insofar as getting to a higher level a little sooner than those who didn't have the same tools at their disposal. It doesn't mean people don't have to work hard, discipline themselves or put in their time in the woodshed, though. Some things never change!

And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter which tool you use - your ear, tab, notation or whatever - nor is one better than the other It's what works for you personally that counts and being able to deliver - it's all good! :headbang: I liken it to a mode of transportation- 50 years ago it took a quite bit longer to get to the destination. But to ever get anywhere at all, ya gotta want to make the trip in the first place!

Air Raid Siren said:
The availability of the technology definitely gives the younger players an edge, insofar as getting to a higher level a little sooner than those who didn't have the same tools at their disposal. It doesn't mean people don't have to work hard, discipline themselves or put in their time in the woodshed, though. Some things never change!

And at the end of the day, it doesn't matter which tool you use - your ear, tab, notation or whatever - nor is one better than the other It's what works for you personally that counts and being able to deliver - it's all good! :headbang: I liken it to a mode of transportation- 50 years ago it took a quite bit longer to get to the destination. But to ever get anywhere at all, ya gotta want to make the trip in the first place!

Precisely Aja! Like I said no matter the method, to perform the music at the level y'all do takes a lot of woodshedding.

It is still fun to play the grumpy old man though who had to walk uphill, in the snow both ways, in the summer heat, to get the music magazines while the yewts today just download it. :lol: :lol:

More power to them though because I like to hear and see music performed.

Jim

spideyjg said:
Precisely Aja! Like I said no matter the method, to perform the music at the level y'all do takes a lot of woodshedding.

You're such a sweetie Jim. Ya, the woodshed is definitely our dearest and most intimate companion! No choice when the people ya play for know the music as well as you guys do!!! :zombie:

spideyjg said:
It is still fun to play the grumpy old man though who had to walk uphill, in the snow both ways, in the summer heat, to get the music magazines while the yewts today just download it. :lol: :lol:
You mean you weren't barefoot and nearly naked? With no food or water???? LIGHTWEIGHT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Air Raid Siren said:
You mean you weren't barefoot and nearly naked? With no food or water???? LIGHTWEIGHT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You were nearly naked? You were living in luxury and got off light. We didn't even have leaves, just thorny sticks. :lol:

Did I even mention the huge mosquitos. :)

Jim