WASTEFALL calls it quits!!!!!!

I guess it all comes down to how you define "generic". Wastefall's sound was practically plagiarized from Pain of Salvation. However, since there aren't many bands ripping off PoS (probably because it's hard to find a vocalist who sounds like a crying 8 year old girl when he sings) I don't think it's accurate to call them "generic".

Zod

While their original sound was HEAVILY influenced by/plagiarized from Pain of Salvation, I think they progressed from there to their own sound.
Listening to the last release from each band, Zod you're excluded,:p they have definitely moved in different directions.
Besides, PoS doesn't sound like the original Pos either. Still, I'll miss 'em.

Sorry guys but Revolution Renaissance still ranks WAY above Wastefall to me. I think nothing on it is "generic". Remember this is MY OPINION only It wasn't me trying to bash Wastefall at all. Just my observation as one person.

I guess it all comes down to how you define "generic". Wastefall's sound was practically plagiarized from Pain of Salvation. However, since there aren't many bands ripping off PoS (probably because it's hard to find a vocalist who sounds like a crying 8 year old girl when he sings) I don't think it's accurate to call them "generic".

Zod
So, THAT'S why I don't like them. Thanks Zod, I thought I was missing a progressive metal gene, but it's just that I'm sick of whining kids.
732_spanking.gif

Sorry, Q. That RR album sounds very generic to me and quite recycled. Welcome to your opinion, though. From some reviews, you're not alone.

Original: Pain Of Salvation
Heavily inspired, yet still trying to do their own thing: Wastefall
Generic carbon copy with no originality whatsoever: Mindflow

Welllllll, maybe so concerning Mindflow, but they do a damn good job, and their new CD also takes them in a totally different direction. I guess you and I will always disagree on Mindflow my friend, but hey that is why I like you so much we agree to disagree, and your funny. See ya soon my friend.

I don't know if it gets more generic than Revolution Renaissance in my opinion... The songs aren't original whatsoever, and Timo Tolkki has had plenty of time in the last few years to get back on his game, failing miserably.

While Wastefall was heavily influenced by PoS, they did evolve to their own unique sound (listen to their latest album). I don't think they could be necessarily classified as generic. Copycats in the beginning of their career? Maybe. Generic? Absolutely not.

Original: Pain Of Salvation
Heavily inspired, yet still trying to do their own thing: Wastefall
Generic carbon copy with no originality whatsoever: Mindflow

You know...the same "generic carbon copy w/no originality" analogy could be applied to Circus Maximus in association with Dream Theater/Symphony X. But, that doesn't seem to hurt them here on this forum. Hmmm...

You know...the same "generic carbon copy w/no originality" analogy could be applied to Circus Maximus in association with Dream Theater/Symphony X. But, that doesn't seem to hurt them here on this forum. Hmmm...

100% agree but what exactly is your point in saying that?

I'd rather listen to the singer from Circus Maximus(his name for some reason escapes my mind right now), than Labrie, and also more than Allen(at least these days, because I love his vocals now and in the past, but i think he sounded better the first couple times I saw him than the last couple times), so time will tell for the guy from CM.

Claus...don't feign ignorance...you know what the deal is. Also...quit obsessing about my balls. ;)

The deal is that you think you can make a slam at me reg CM even if they have nothing to do with Wastefall (or the Pain of Salvation sound which Mindflow - as I mentioned - is also a part of .. thus the notion about them). You just bring in another band to make this a pissing contest, and even if I agree w you that CM is "very much influenced" by SX and DT, that has nothing to do with the subject in this thread). I'm not working with CM anymore so I couldnt care less about them. What I do care about is the fact that you always seem intend on picking a fight, which is pretty low in the first place, and then you "hide" what you actually want to say behind a lot of crap. Come out with what you want to say instead of bullshitting around, thus the mention of you needing to grow a set of balls.

Perhaps the point is that some bands seem to get a free pass, often based on non-musical factors(i.e. john q. forumer got to do shots with band x) whereas others get crucified because they've not yet had the opportunity to win over the PP crowd on a personal basis.
I suspect the percentage of folks who either praise or criticize a given band, based on whether they have some tenuous personal connection to them, is small. I assume Ascension was alluding to the fact that CM has/had a financial connection to some of the folks involved in the festival. And granted, there is a natural tendency in this forum to follow Glenn's lead.

However, comparing CM's DT influence to Wastefall's PoS influence, is a stretch. PoS, for all the crap I give them, has a very distinct sound. Consequently, when Wastefall borrows heavily from PoS, the influence sounds overwhelming. Conversely, I think all Prog bands owe a debt of gratitude to DT (crap... that's twice in the same paragraph that I've paid a compliment to a band I don't like). I don't listen to CM and immediately think about DT. Additionally, DT's greatest weakness, is CM's greatest strength (vocals). Finally, CM is simply better than Wastefall (or PoS for that matter).

Zod

I suspect the percentage of folks who either praise or criticize a given band, based on whether they have some tenuous personal connection to them, is small. I assume Ascension was alluding to the fact that CM has/had a financial connection to some of the folks involved in the festival. And granted, there is a natural tendency in this forum to follow Glenn's lead.

However, comparing CM's DT influence to Wastefall's PoS influence, is a stretch. PoS, for all the crap I give them, has a very distinct sound. Consequently, when Wastefall borrows heavily from PoS, the influence sounds overwhelming. Conversely, I think all Prog bands owe a debt of gratitude to DT (crap... that's twice in the same paragraph that I've paid a compliment to a band I don't like). I don't listen to CM and immediately think about DT. Additionally, DT's greatest weakness, is CM's greatest strength (vocals). Finally, CM is simply better than Wastefall (or PoS for that matter).

Zod

I agree. I don't have a problem with bands ripping off another one if they do it better. I'd rather listen to CM any day of the week over DT these days. IMO, DT's music is a muttled mess as to CM's actually has melody and goes somewhere for me.

~Brian~

I suspect the percentage of folks who either praise or criticize a given band, based on whether they have some tenuous personal connection to them, is small.

Perhaps small on a grander scale. But, within the confines of PP it seemingly takes very little for "Band X" to become someone's new "longtime favorite," or new band that just "must play again next year." By my personal observations, these trends and sways in public opinion seem influenced primarily by arbitrary factors like: having drinks w/band x, catching a drumstick, the ever famous "oh well I was down on the rail for that band so...," a band member just being nice and courteous, staying in the same hotel as band x, or various others that have no actual bearing on the actual music.

I suspect the percentage of folks who either praise or criticize a given band, based on whether they have some tenuous personal connection to them, is small.
I agree. Actually, I've had some damn good times with certain bands whose music I've never actually been able to get into. Won't mention who only so as not to start another side discussion.

Zod
I agree with that entire statement, but specifically the last part. I like CM's vocals waaaay better than DT's, and CM is definitely higher up in musical composition than Wastefall or PoS in my opinion.

Hey folks, WOW did this thread go way off topic, but that is what so good about this forum, each thread takes on a life of it's own, and makes for some really good reading.

Perhaps small on a grander scale. But, within the confines of PP it seemingly takes very little for "Band X" to become someone's new "longtime favorite," or new band that just "must play again next year." By my personal observations, these trends and sways in public opinion seem influenced primarily by arbitrary factors like: having drinks w/band x, catching a drumstick, the ever famous "oh well I was down on the rail for that band so...," a band member just being nice and courteous, staying in the same hotel as band x, or various others that have no actual bearing on the actual music.

Ouch...Heh. This slightly rings true...and not just with ProgPower. There some bands out there that I can't stand but I know personally to be great and amazing people...so I support them (going to their shows, telling people about their shows, etc).

I do not; however, tell them or anyone how amazing I think they are when really that's not the truth.