Waves CLA Classic Compressors....worth it?

Jaymz

Stymphalian Productions
May 20, 2006
York
www.facebook.com
Im really sick of not having any 1176/LA-2A/3A style plugins for my mixes and this package seems to be the "holy grail" as far as the marketing goes at least...

Is this the all in one package that gets used often by you guys and is it worth what you paid for it? *or not paid for it if your certain MAC users :bah:* ;)

I thought it might be time to splash out as long as these will really cover all the said needs and have that "space making ability" CLA raves about. UAD seems to be getting a fair amount of bad press about their cards of recent so these might be the better opton.

Absolutely. Worth every cent. Waves frequently have specials, so grab it when one of them is on and you won't get ripped off like I did (special happened about a month after I got mine... still worth it).

I have them and love them!. They are very versatile I think, I use them on Vocals, acoustics gtrs, electric gtrs, bas. On vocals my chain is usually 1176 bluestripe into LA2A, acoustics usually just 3A but sometimes I put a 1176 bluestripe infront of the 3A. Elec gtr 1176 with or without all buttons in. Bas 3A or 2A or a combination of the 2.
Thats usually how I use them when I use them.

Yeah I guess I mainly want them for vocals and bass....can't beat crushing some rooms mic's too however ;)

That staged compression on the vocal is exactly what I want, as you say, 1176 followed by the LA-2A. A combo I can't really match with "LA-2Aish compressors"

There's a deal in the UK where I could get it for what would be $460 for you American chaps.

Its currently $830 on the Waves site :|

I bought them after the last deal they had on them, think I paid something like 800 AUD. I was one of those Mac guys lol but after them seeing so much use / me starting to make a little money from recording I felt it was time to go legit. One of the better plug-in purchases I have ever made, all buttons in on the 1176 almost makes it worth it alone, its amazing for parallel compression.

They are great, I got them on a ridicioulus christmas-time deal last year (around EUR 300 or even less, IIRC). My UAD 1176LN is slightly better than the CLA, but the CLA LA-2A simply rocks and has been worth the price alone. Those three CLA compressors (plus my SSL Buss Compressor) cover about all of my compressor needs. Not that I do not GAS for the API bundle, though... But I'll wait until christmas ;-).

Keep your eyes peeled. When Waves does their big discounts some of those eBay stores will give you some great prices. I got the CLA pack with an iLok thrown in for like $350 shipped or something.

And yes I think they are great.