Waves CLA Compressors usage

Sickan

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jan 23, 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden
Which compressor do you use on different sources (kick/snare/toms/overheads/room mics, rhythm guitars/lead guitars/clean guitars/acoustic guitars, bass guitar and vocals) and with what attack/release, ratio and GR?

As you properly already knew then everything is depending on source and how you want to sculpt the sound.

My biggest turning point when using these is when I started to not think so much about numbers and instead let the track play, close my eyes (looking at the screen while adjusting really mind fucks me..) and then just start from zero and turning up the dial and take note of what happens with the instrument in context of the mix.

But im interrested aswell to see how people work with them and what their go-to starting settings could look like.

I'm using the UAD ones, but I love the 1176+LA2A combo for Vocs and (not Metal) Gits.

The glue and amount of compression is just so musical and deep, really colourful.

For what i remember of the Waves/CLA videos :

CLA76 VOCALS/DRUMS/BASS
CLA2A VOCALS/BACKGROUND VOCALS/ACOUSTIC GUITAR
CLA3A ELECTRIC GUITARS/ACOUSTIC GUITARS/KEYBOARDS/BASS

Just to add, I find quite a bit of difference in how the Black and Blue CLA 76 sound. I definitely enjoy them on different materials... vocals/drums.

And I agree, you should listen to what the setting are doing to your mix by tweaking the controls and listening to what's going on. Just getting some numbers to punch in to the compressors is not going to be doing your music the justice it deserves.