Way off-topic..... camcorder.

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I am sure the chances aren't all that good that anyone here is shopping for a new camcorder, but if you are, I have a recommendation for you !!! I figured if there is one person out there looking for a dual camcorder/digital camera with the capability of recording in full 1080i HD, I might can save you 50% on the price.

My wife and I decided to get a new camcorder, so I researched and researched. I stumbled upon a Sanyo Xacti FH1 and it is an incredible piece of equipment and is half the cost of a Sony, Cannon or JVC with similar features. It not only records in full 1080i HD, but also has an 8.1 mega-pixel still camera built in. It even offers "Super slow motion" video and 12 fps high speed still shots. It is only about 2/3 the size of my hand and I got it for about $440. A simalarly equipped Cannon is about $850. It is a great little machine and uses flash memory, so the only moving part is the zoom lens. It also makes downloading into a PC a breeze.

Bryant

Looks like a pretty good camera Bryant. If I were getting a camera I'd want a couple of things:
- 3 CCD technology (your colors and images are way sharper and crisper than 1 CCD)
- 1080P, not just i. I is interlaced which looks like this. P (progressive) is a full frame like a film frame. Granted you'd want this if you were shooting professionally, but still. :p

With that camera can you mount prime lenses on it?

I am so sorry.... the camera is true 1080p, not 1080i. That is just me typing faster than thinking. I may have been thinking of my TV at the time..... It does have progressive scanning.

As far as lenses, there are at least a couple of lenses available. A super wide angle as well as a telephoto and some filters are already available as well. It may or may not be a common thread pattern... I am not sure.

As far as the CCD, it is just a single, but it has great low light sensitivity and other qualities that I like. It is a very high quality CCD.

You have to remember that this thing is a consumer product. This is not quite at the level of something that would be prime for a professional videographer or photographer. However, this is a damned good camera for a price that is pretty much untouchable for the performance/feature set at this time.

Bryant

Looks like a pretty good camera Bryant. If I were getting a camera I'd want a couple of things:
- 3 CCD technology (your colors and images are way sharper and crisper than 1 CCD)
- 1080P, not just i. I is interlaced which looks like this. P (progressive) is a full frame like a film frame. Granted you'd want this if you were shooting professionally, but still. :p

With that camera can you mount prime lenses on it?

Souns like a neat equipment Bryant, we must smuggle it into PPX :heh:

I was into filming like 20 years ago, I'm not even much into photography lately. Guess I'm not very visual. :lol: