Ways to make digitally recorded guitars more analog, with digital tools?

if your using revalver, this is just a nice tip from my experience.

if you want a warmer sound you really need to get the post gain up on the 6505 model to at least 8, 9 if you want huge. If that still isn't enough then place a single diode preamp after the mic, and this will give you some post mic saturation before the signal is sent to your DAW. usually sounds extremely warm compared to a real digital amp.

by that point you should have enough warmth and saturation, if you don't think so then you should probably start investing into your bass guitar tone, which if done right will combine with the drums to make the thick bottom end, that's not the guitars job, the guitar fundamentals should end by 120Hz.

Wow that's some great tips! Thank you! I will try it very soon.

When rendering Revalver tracks, use the 64-bit mix down mode for 4x oversampling if you haven't already. It takes a lot longer to render, but you'll get maximum quality. Also mess with as many different impulses as you can. If I have to drastically eq my guitars, I usually just look for another impulse entirely. Guitarhack impulses are among the best. Try not to overdo effects. Amps sims are all already "analog simulators" so it won't help much to put more analog simulators on top of it. Also try to focus on learning how to mix well. A guitar that sounds good by itself can sound shitty in the mix. Master the EQ and compressor (easier said than done).

Also don't get caught up with the gear bug or GAS. You can get a great sound with what you have. If you don't believe me, go look at some posts by Behindert and abyssofdreams at the rate my mix section of the forum. Behindert's signal chain is guitar --> audio interface --> Revalver. I used to think the best gear was necessary to sound good, but I changed my mind when I actually saw what people could do with entry-level gear and free software.

When rendering Revalver tracks, use the 64-bit mix down mode for 4x oversampling if you haven't already. It takes a lot longer to render, but you'll get maximum quality. Also mess with as many different impulses as you can. If I have to drastically eq my guitars, I usually just look for another impulse entirely. Guitarhack impulses are among the best. Try not to overdo effects. Amps sims are all already "analog simulators" so it won't help much to put more analog simulators on top of it. Also try to focus on learning how to mix well. A guitar that sounds good by itself can sound shitty in the mix. Master the EQ and compressor (easier said than done).

Also don't get caught up with the gear bug or GAS. You can get a great sound with what you have. If you don't believe me, go look at some posts by Behindert and abyssofdreams at the rate my mix section of the forum. Behindert's signal chain is guitar --> audio interface --> Revalver. I used to think the best gear was necessary to sound good, but I changed my mind when I actually saw what people could do with entry-level gear and free software.

Hmmm yeah... thanks for the tips. I have tried the 64-bit rendering, but it got a hell of a lot quiter when I did that. Also, I could hear a lot of digital artifacts, it did not sound pleasing at all. Maybe it's the demo version's fault?

I do know that it's hard to judge a guitar sound by itself, so I made some test mixes today. Thought I'd post them here so people could give feedback. Thing is though, they sounded good over at my rehearsal/"studio", the speakers I'm "monitoring" with there are...... too "good". They make anything sound good, so it's hard to mix stuff there :)

Here we go, I'll post them in chronological order:

Mix contains quad tracked guitars and drums only. No bass guitar. (But the guitars rumble pretty nice in the low-end, for now)

Revalver 6505 No Post EQ - http://www.mediafire.com/?0yqwhyijyid
Revalver Flathill No Post EQ - http://www.mediafire.com/?zmjwy0inyzw

They sounded too dull and buried... and too much "metal" (read distortion), so I tried lowpassing and damping the highs a bit.. and slammed a little bit of reverb on it:

Revalver Flathill Low Passed, Reverb - http://www.mediafire.com/?4fnjdhzzywn

Still too much gain perhaps, so the last one:

Revalver Flathill Low Passed, Reverb, Less Gain - http://www.mediafire.com/?zyywnodvlhm

Personally, I like the last one the most, but doesn't it sound like freakin' Guitar Rig or something? :(

Oh yeah and the first clip, the 6505 one, was with the single tube tip that I got earlier from TheWinterSnow. I still failed with the overall EQ so it doesn't as bad ass as it could.

Sigh... I'm not even a guitarist and I spend this much time on guitars... well hell yeah, they're important. Geez... well, tips are welcome!

Hmmm yeah... thanks for the tips. I have tried the 64-bit rendering, but it got a hell of a lot quiter when I did that. Also, I could hear a lot of digital artifacts, it did not sound pleasing at all. Maybe it's the demo version's fault?

I do know that it's hard to judge a guitar sound by itself, so I made some test mixes today. Thought I'd post them here so people could give feedback. Thing is though, they sounded good over at my rehearsal/"studio", the speakers I'm "monitoring" with there are...... too "good". They make anything sound good, so it's hard to mix stuff there :)

Here we go, I'll post them in chronological order:

Mix contains quad tracked guitars and drums only. No bass guitar. (But the guitars rumble pretty nice in the low-end, for now)

Revalver 6505 No Post EQ - http://www.mediafire.com/?0yqwhyijyid
Revalver Flathill No Post EQ - http://www.mediafire.com/?zmjwy0inyzw

They sounded too dull and buried... and too much "metal" (read distortion), so I tried lowpassing and damping the highs a bit.. and slammed a little bit of reverb on it:

Revalver Flathill Low Passed, Reverb - http://www.mediafire.com/?4fnjdhzzywn

Still too much gain perhaps, so the last one:

Revalver Flathill Low Passed, Reverb, Less Gain - http://www.mediafire.com/?zyywnodvlhm

Personally, I like the last one the most, but doesn't it sound like freakin' Guitar Rig or something? :(

Oh yeah and the first clip, the 6505 one, was with the single tube tip that I got earlier from TheWinterSnow. I still failed with the overall EQ so it doesn't as bad ass as it could.

Sigh... I'm not even a guitarist and I spend this much time on guitars... well hell yeah, they're important. Geez... well, tips are welcome!

to me it sounds like you are missing bass and mids, nothing but highs.

i forgot to note, that when i use the triode amp after the cabinet i usually go into the the circuitry and lower the grid resistor a fair amount, to lower the miller frequency.

also from what i hear, the cabinet you are using is bright, i like to dime the resonant control on smaller or brighter cabs.

do some post eq experiment with giving the mids a hump. the only problem i see with your tone is a matter of getting the his down and the mids up.

to me it sounds like you are missing bass and mids, nothing but highs.

i forgot to note, that when i use the triode amp after the cabinet i usually go into the the circuitry and lower the grid resistor a fair amount, to lower the miller frequency.

also from what i hear, the cabinet you are using is bright, i like to dime the resonant control on smaller or brighter cabs.

do some post eq experiment with giving the mids a hump. the only problem i see with your tone is a matter of getting the his down and the mids up.

Sweet feedback man! Just a question though, which one of them are you referring to? Just so I know where to go back and continue tweaking.

Tomorrow, I think I'll try with the all famous englv30higherpres impulse instead... that one always seems to sounds "right" somehow. This impulse that I used now was one of GH's New_IR_1.wav I think it was called. Though, I think the engl impulse is more scooped if I remember correctly... so guess there's need for more EQ magic!

By the way, if anybody feels the urge to try making your own amp-simulation sound with these tracks that I've posted, I can upload the DI-tracks tomorrow. It would probably be the ultimate way to learn, by studying the configurations of someone who knows what guitars "should" sound like.

Off to bed, g'night!

Nice mixes Gojira, my favourite of those is: "Rev_Flathill_MidboostHighCutPostEQReverblessGain_3"

And of all the stuff you've posted, I think the tone I'd prefer is in "Beyond Final Mix" - that sounded really cool...

Most nights after work now I just go home and tweak, tweak, tweak... usually I stay up way too late! But I guess that's what it takes to get the best out of revalver. Each day I'm getting a little step closer to what I'm after, so it's all worthwhile. But it is baby steps for sure...:loco:

This forum is a great resource though, without it I would not be getting the tones I can get, or the advice...

Moonlapse: exactly :)

The UI is so terrible though! There's barely any fine control and things seem to take ages to dial in while you fiddle with dragging your mouse around and clicking all the buttons.

I've heard that the Algorithmix Blue EQ is better, so I look forward to trying it out. The UI is a much more simple and functional affair on that one.