ways to tweak guitar distortions ?

colddusk

New Metal Member
Jun 15, 2012
I'm never happy with the distortion I get, I want better smooth distortion, so how should I tweak the guitar distortions ?
Using Equalizers, compressors. What else can I use or do ?

Some professionals use EQ and Comp on distorted guitars as a stylistic thing, but if you are having issues nailing down a rhythm tone that you are satisfied with, leave all post processing out of the equation and just use the guitar/pedal/amp/cab/mic to get the sound you desire. What are you using now?

I'm using some digital amps. I'm using GR4 dynamics modules such a gate noise and tube compressor + LePou Plugins + Mesa Impulses. I'm close but not satisfied. I have no idea if its because I'm using digital amps.

Try poking holes in the high end 5k+ (ish) w/ really narrow PEQs
Get rid of the annoying "crunchy" spots up there, and use a kinda wide PEQ boost so you dont lose all your highs.

To start off, you should probably keep it as simple as possible and build from there. I'd remove compression and stuff and just start with a simple amp+cab+mic setup (or the digital variety thereoff). Just set all tone controls to 12 oclock and gain at a point where stuff starts to sound cool on palmmutes. Don't overdo this, cause if you quadtrack with too much gain, anything will sound like shit. Too little, and it sounds like a wet towel. Trial and error :)

What you hear now is pretty much the character of your chain. Tone controls on the amp can balance the different parts of the spectrum out, but the character is something that is very prominent. Trying to fight this will usually result in dead sounding guitars. So if you don't like the character at this point already, chances are the amp/cab/mic aren't really what you are looking for on the project.

So this would be the ideal point to try some other options. Don't like the structure of the gain? Try a different amp, or channel. Don't like the timbre of the tone? Maybe try a different cab. Like the gain and the timbre, but the tone is too dark/bright/bassy/etc for your tastes? Try a different microphoneposition/distance or a different mic altogether.
If everything sounds cool to you, you can use the amp's tonecontrols to finetune the sound to fit the project as well as possible, to prevent overprocessing down the line. The mids are probably the most important part to get right, since that will be what defines your guitars in your mix. Leave some room in the lows for the bassguitar, and maybe try to set the highs a bit darker than you would intuitively. Come mix time, this really helps the vocals and cymbals to cut through naturally.

This isn't in specific order by the way. Tweak as you see fit. After you find something you like this way, you can go and EQ fizz-spikes and stuff out. It's pretty much a requirement for distorted guitars, but make sure the cut is needed. Give your ears a LOT of breaks while doing this, because once you start to hear those spikes, it's VERY easy to go overboard and play whack-a-mole, leaving you with a battered wreckage of a guitartone.
I have found that the key to a cool guitartone is to not fight the character of your chain, but help the good parts stand out by subdueing the shit around it.

To start off, you should probably keep it as simple as possible and build from there. I'd remove compression and stuff and just start with a simple amp+cab+mic setup (or the digital variety thereoff). Just set all tone controls to 12 oclock and gain at a point where stuff starts to sound cool on palmmutes. Don't overdo this, cause if you quadtrack with too much gain, anything will sound like shit. Too little, and it sounds like a wet towel. Trial and error :)

What you hear now is pretty much the character of your chain. Tone controls on the amp can balance the different parts of the spectrum out, but the character is something that is very prominent. Trying to fight this will usually result in dead sounding guitars. So if you don't like the character at this point already, chances are the amp/cab/mic aren't really what you are looking for on the project.

So this would be the ideal point to try some other options. Don't like the structure of the gain? Try a different amp, or channel. Don't like the timbre of the tone? Maybe try a different cab. Like the gain and the timbre, but the tone is too dark/bright/bassy/etc for your tastes? Try a different microphoneposition/distance or a different mic altogether.
If everything sounds cool to you, you can use the amp's tonecontrols to finetune the sound to fit the project as well as possible, to prevent overprocessing down the line. The mids are probably the most important part to get right, since that will be what defines your guitars in your mix. Leave some room in the lows for the bassguitar, and maybe try to set the highs a bit darker than you would intuitively. Come mix time, this really helps the vocals and cymbals to cut through naturally.

This isn't in specific order by the way. Tweak as you see fit. After you find something you like this way, you can go and EQ fizz-spikes and stuff out. It's pretty much a requirement for distorted guitars, but make sure the cut is needed. Give your ears a LOT of breaks while doing this, because once you start to hear those spikes, it's VERY easy to go overboard and play whack-a-mole, leaving you with a battered wreckage of a guitartone.
I have found that the key to a cool guitartone is to not fight the character of your chain, but help the good parts stand out by subdueing the shit around it.

Thanks Man, you told me exactly what I needed to know.

Another thing that can really affect the feel, texture and clarity of the sound is what happens BEFORE the distortion.
Distortion sounds tighter if hit with less low end. The character of distortion also changes drastically when the midrange content is boosted or cut at certain frequencies.
Also, you can get interesting results by adding compression or another distortion stage.

Adding a Tubescreamer in front of your amp is nothing different.

Ill give it a try.

Get a rough balance of everything going, and listen quietly. That oughta highlight any upper-mid harshness.

Set a wide Q and make a deep cut in the top. Toggle the EQ in and out, and listen for the frequency or frequencies that poke out and fight the other elements. I tend to listen mostly to the snare and vocal when doing this, as those are the elements that most commonly fight with heavy dirt guitars. Once you've identified the nasties, cut em only as much as needed with as narrow a Q as you can get away with. Typically, a couple dB will do the trick, and you can keep the cuts pretty dang tight.

great post ever

Forget EQ and compression for now. You've gotta capture the tone at the source. A good sounding guitar that is well set-up (intonation, neck adjustment, strings, etc). A high quality tube amp and speaker box is essential. And the performance plays a huge part. Make sure you record into a good preamp. If you get all those things right, you're 95% there. You shouldn't have to do too much in mixing if you get it right in tracking.

A lot of people are talking about mic's and amps and I think the OP is using sims.

True. Same logic applies though, as long as the sims are transparent in their settings.
For example, If I think a cab sounds too woofy on a recording, I often pull the mic a bit further away from it, but I keep it in the same position. Using an impulse that states the cab, micposition and distance used to capture it, you could do the same thing by selecting the same impulse 1 inch further from the cab than what you were using. If they care captured and documented well that is.
Similar mentality can be applied to the other parts of the chain.