We Came As Romans - Understanding What Weve Grown To Be

Slightly off topic, but I put the last track of the cd in T-Racks because I noticed it was considerably louder than any cd I've heard Joey mix. Come to find out the song was not only clipping, but the perceived loudness and rms volume where both pushing at -6. Does anyone think this is pushing the mix too much?

my stuff doesn't clip. i triple check it. perhaps your definition of clipping is wrong. i can even send you printed wave forms to prove its not clipping.

I dunno, it all sounds like a typical sturgis mix to me. Nothing really stands out, aside from the cymbal work. They definitely need a new singer/lyricist.

some of the songs are really dense. i wish i could have convinced everyone to drop a few guitar tracks here and there so that some of the more special things could stick out better.

almost every song is over 100 tracks

if you're wondering why we spent so long on drums, listen to the songs and then go try to play them on drums note for note. its fucking complex shit.

definitely noticed they were difficult parts, especially in the cymbal work.

my stuff doesn't clip. i triple check it. perhaps your definition of clipping is wrong. i can even send you printed wave forms to prove its not clipping.

All I know is that the end of the volume meter lights of T-Racks were fully red throughout the tracks but I'll take your word for it. Fantastic mix nonetheless.

Joey can you confirm, Josh Wells is doing guest vocals on the record? He's not listed on CD credits

Not saying this doesn't sound good, but I preferred the sound from the single "To Move on is to Grow".
It was quite refreshing.

hi joey , the piano parts and synths are played by you with midi-controller or programmed by hand in some software ? and with the drums how do you write them ?
how you make it work with having allmost no time to produce the song/album ?

well I guess he works on several projects .. but still for the record do you use ur midi controller to record midi drums / keys?

I've got a question about the delay.. In "Cast The First Stone"... The lead at about 0:30.. That's some sick delay.. Just wondering on the timing/delay settings/wet v dry etc. I play alot of this sort of music, bpm wise, so it would be cool to have some benchmarks to set my lead delay too.

WCAR - electro synth shit + anyone other than kyle = sick band

this formula also works.

Haha so true.

Mix is enormous. Band is sick and techy. Screamer is unreal!

Please ditch the clean singer. I've only seen some live videos and it's just horrible. Even on the tracks it's hard to hear the actual word pronunciation. It's just high notes.

some of the songs are really dense. i wish i could have convinced everyone to drop a few guitar tracks here and there so that some of the more special things could stick out better.

almost every song is over 100 tracks

Wow that's a lot of tracks. Is that way above any other stuff you've done or is that kinda standard?

The sounds are fantastic. So big and plenty of depth. Love the pirate-strings into brotherhood bouncedown. Clever.

I just tracked a band, all of the 4 songs had over 70 tracks each, so I don't see why it would be such odd thing to have more than 100 tracks in a session, or even over 200.

Cheers ahj. Looks like I have a lot to learn. I get so many tips from this place, stoked :)

I really need to check out this album and see what all the fuss (good and bad) is about! To Plant A Seed was a masterpiece of production to me. Some call it overproduced, but I thought it was incredible how much was going on in that album. :kickass:

I've been listening to their latest record basically since they dropped it. The mix is incredible, glassy guitar tones, the drums are enormous! Some real clever songwriting, the screamer has to be one of the best out there...

Then there's the clean singer. I struggle to listen to it. So high all the time that words cannot be clearly heard and defined, (with the exception of "I am the man in the mirror") which means it just sounds like notes to me and loses vocal dynamics.

Anyways, how did Joey go fitting this clean singer into the mix, and how was he recorded. How does everyone else go about clean vox? General rules? Do's and dont's? Just keen to try new things.

joey has expressed the difficulty of the songs being sung out of kyle's range and that he was forced to employ "tricks" to get his voice more intelligible.