Weird File Problem (need help please)

jsaudio

Dec 30, 2010
Hey guys, so I am an idiot and accidentally deleted the project file for a project (even from recycling bin) then i realized my fuck up and proceeded to do data recovery. Long story short i recovered the files and put the project file back in the same place with the same name. I discovered once i reopened the project in cubase 5 that i had MOST of the files back but many are missing still...

upload_2016-1-15_21-0-8.png

So i manually tried to find the files, for example in the image you see highlighted the file "ambient center 1_13.wav" When i navigate to the project folder sure enough there it is even though the file is still considered "missing"

upload_2016-1-15_21-2-8.png

Once i click on that file to "find" it I am prompted with this message... "Error: invalid or unsupported file!"

upload_2016-1-15_21-2-47.png

Please help if you have any idea why this is, it is obviously a .wav file and it is strange how some files could be found and some are not even when they are OBVIOUSLY in the project folder

Thank you,

This is a really important project for me so any help I would truly be grateful

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-15_20-59-10.png
    upload_2016-1-15_20-59-10.png
    252.6 KB · Views: 1
Maybe the recovery program couldn't recover the files properly, so they are corrupted. Were you able to play them using a regular player or tried to open in another DAW? I'd suggest Reaper since it's small and fully functional during the evaluation period.

That way you could at least know if it's a problem with Cubase and possibly a file conversion or re-render using a different DAW can make the files readable by Cubase again

Thank you for the response, they will not play with a regular player like windows media player and can not be played back in another DAW at least not in audacity. I already tried to import into audacity and convert to wav file but that did not work. I will say when it was put into audacity it would be a loud static sound and SOME of the files that were recovered actually had weird static parts in them as well

Sounds very much like corrupted files. I've this kind of problem before. Even though the files are back, they are not bit-by-bit accurate. It's been a long time since I last had to to this, but I remember files (mp3) ending up with parts of other files.

Maybe a more "forensic" audio app can read the files? I know it's a long shot and I can't recommend any but it could work

Yea it does appear that they are corrupted what ever that actually means lol If anyone has any idea on how or even IF this can be resolved all input would be greatly appreciated!

Which software did you use to do the recovery ?
I'll suggest to try another one and see if it can recover the files properly.
Already had this kind of issue, and used Recuva (it's freeware) : https://www.piriform.com/recuva
Try to scan your hard drive in long/advanced search mode (don't remember exactly the name), it can take a few hours...
Then recover everything you can and see if it's better.

Which software did you use to do the recovery ?
I'll suggest to try another one and see if it can recover the files properly.
Already had this kind of issue, and used Recuva (it's freeware) : https://www.piriform.com/recuva
Try to scan your hard drive in long/advanced search mode (don't remember exactly the name), it can take a few hours...
Then recover everything you can and see if it's better.

Hey I used Recuva as well! However I did not use the Advanced mode perhaps I should try that