Weird, frustrating Reaper audio issue

BrettT

Aug 29, 2006
Austin, TX
I've had this happen before, but simply restarting Reaper fixed the issue. This time, restarting isn't helping. The bass guitar group in my project suddenly sounds very off...it's all wobbly and inconsistent in regards to volume. It sounds like someone threw a really fucked up, broken-sounding gate on my bass group, and it's also now slightly distorted. What's weird is that if I copy the bass group to a new project, the tracks sound sound fine. I thought it may have been something on the master bus in my project causing it, or possibly some automation somewhere that got accidentally budged, but disabling all the 2bus effects and automation doesn't have any effect.

Anyone run into this? I've tried saving a new project with just the bass group in it (where they sound fine), and copying the tracks from it back into my primary project, but once they are in there they sound fucked up again.

Hate it when something like that happens. I use the scroll wheel alot and every now and then I accidentally change the rate of the project. Fine if you're mixing but when tracking it completely messes everything up. Very annoying!

Hate it when something like that happens. I use the scroll wheel alot and every now and then I accidentally change the rate of the project. Fine if you're mixing but when tracking it completely messes everything up. Very annoying!

Pretty sure that is exactly what happened here. I find myself tweaking shit by accident when using the scroll wheel all the time. We're a doom band and didn't record to tempo maps so the bpm of the project isn't really relevant...it was the last thing I thought to check.

Haha, I've done this halfway through tracking a song once. My initial thought was "Wtf, how did we just track everything up to this point a semitone higher then it was suppose to be?"