Weird Request: Romantic Death Metal

waif

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal
If you recommend me Opeth I'll ignore your post. I'm not looking for doom/death or any form of doom metal. Aside from that, no genre restrictions. Slam death, brutal death, melodic death, osdm, whatever you got.

Now then, I'm looking for romantic death metal; death metal with a romantic focus (hopefully this will be reflected in the music but doesn't have to be). It can be tragic or not. It can be disturbing stuff like The Black Dahlia Murder's Closed Casket Requiem. I'm open minded.

Albums are fine. Even an album in which a couple songs are like that.

Go.

Therion never really had romantic themes in their lyrics.

Unless by romantic we're speaking of Romantic musical tenets. I mean, a lot of symphonic metal bands employ Romantic tenets.

Do you mean lyrically? I'm not sure how "romantic" can be expressed musically in a death metal context.

sorry, yeah.
and stalky/murdery is fine, the example I cited was a song about fucking the corpse of your dead lover while cutting her open.

I don't mean some Romantic musical style, but rather something that has a romantic feel to it, musically or lyrically.

This is kind of weird and I don't really expect anything.

Lykathea Aflame (if that's how you spell it) play death metal with soul and feeling, sorta atmospheric death metal, don't know if that's what you want, but closest I can think of.

Untitled from Paths of Possessions new album is relatively romantic :p

Se beast of pagan lust
Awaits the blood to covet us
I know she is not afraid to slice my
Flesh and bind the trust
She's staring into me
As night surrounds this passion flame
She is seeing through me rage
Into my deepest darkest pain
This kiss last forever
Endless tortured pleasure
Warmth dripping over me
The firelight upon our skin
The primal heart, it pounds
She screams and pulls me deeper in
To a place so moist and warm
A place we don't feel so alone
The world dissolves away
As two blackened hearts have become one
At night she calls to me
Through the moans and growls and stench of sweat
My own apocalypse
Resting my head upon her breast
She is all I know that is real
The juice of love now crusted thick
I feel the end that comes, just like
The fuckside of my dick

Apparently it's a cover of Cancerslug's Soulless.

Check out Insomnium. I think they'd be perfect for what you're looking for. The song In the Groves of Death in particular.

I've been meaning to check out Insomnium for a while, so this is the perfect excuse. That song isn't on their myspace, but what there is sounds really fucking awesome, I'm not picking up the lyrics perfectly, but the mood of the music leads me to expect that this is pretty much exactly what I want. Even if they're not, it's still really good. I'll get the album with that song. Thanks.

Gonna check out Necrophobic now.

Listening to a couple songs off that Necrophobic album. I can't discern any romantic elements, but this is good stuff. I'll probably get this soon.

Pig Destroyer, particularly Prowler In The Yard. They're death-grind, i'm sure you've heard of them.