Weird thing happened at the mall today

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
It's been forever since I've been to a mall, but I had to stop at one today. Just for the hell of it, I thought I would stop at the mall's record store (Sam Goody). I went thinking that there is no way they'd have the new Opeth CD, but I'd look anyway.

The weird thing is that not only did they have the new Opeth CD, they had old ones too, as well as Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Leaves' Eyes, Demons & Wizards, etc. I kept thinking, "Holy chit! When did they start carrying cool music?"

It was a surreal experience. However, I couldn't bring myself to buy anything. I think it had something to do with the rap music they had playing the whole time I was in the store (though a TSO tune was just finishing as I was walking in).

Yippee38 said:
It's been forever since I've been to a mall, but I had to stop at one today. Just for the hell of it, I thought I would stop at the mall's record store (Sam Goody). I went thinking that there is no way they'd have the new Opeth CD, but I'd look anyway.

The weird thing is that not only did they have the new Opeth CD, they had old ones too, as well as Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Edguy, Leaves' Eyes, Demons & Wizards, etc. I kept thinking, "Holy chit! When did they start carrying cool music?"

It was a surreal experience. However, I couldn't bring myself to buy anything. I think it had something to do with the rap music they had playing the whole time I was in the store (though a TSO tune was just finishing as I was walking in).

Actually I'm not terribly shocked by this. Recently I've noticed that a few of the mall music stores by me have been increasing their metal selection. However, they also gouge the hell out of you. Some dics were like $19.99. No way in hell I'm paying that...

Tower Records has a great selection, Sam Goody is ok, and FYE isn't bad either (picked up Mabool there much earlier this year)....

But the prices are terrible! $18.99 or more in some cases for a single CD, with no "bonus tracks"...and that's (obviously) before tax!

I've also had good luck with Circuit City too, that's where I found the Rush and G3 dvds and Opeth was in stock there as well.

Pretty much stuff like Opeth, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, etc can be found anywhere that has a decent music selection. I picked up Ghost Reveries at Best Buy the week it came out for $9.99 - It was right there in the new releases shelf. I even picked up a few Ayreon albums when I first started listening to them at BB. Any band on a major label (or on a label that's attached to a major label somehow) will get into these stores. That's no surprise. I did pick up Orphaned Land's Mabool @ FYE and didn't find it at Best Buy. But I always have found them at any store with it's own metal section.

Ironically, for a while FYE was the only place around here you could find certain SPV/Limb albums, Rhapsody and Nightwish's entire catalogs in particular. The ones that have large metal sections usually have alot of good shit, but it is disgustingly overpriced. Sometimes it's just nice to see some of the albums they have on the shelves, though. Never a bad thing to go to the mall and see EVERY Edguy album in the metal section, Haha!