WELCOME!!!!European Union thread!

Mar 14, 2004
Ancient Europe
As you all know, today is a great day for the E.U as it is now composed of 25 countries!
So welcome to the new ones and even if nobody knows where we are going, as long as music is here our lives won't change a lot, am I wrong?
Even if i am not the Pope, so i won't be able to say "welcome" in 25 languages, i'd just like to say "bienvenue"("welcome" in French) to the new countries.
May their arrival contribute to their economic achievement.
Greetings
:headbang:

hey, thanks. i think we shouldn't be afraid. obviously there will be a lof of shit, but i beleive there will be many good and positive things from it to us all. the first thing i can see is to pass the border much easier when going to any gigs or sth :p

Thanks. Im very excited about finally joining our European cousins :hotjump:

35.jpg

Hum Norway is a country of old traditions and i don't see your country in the E U.
You know for me Norway is a bit like a holy land!
Nature, great bands, much rain (in Bergen it seems)
I like it!
I'll come there one day

So EU is supposed to be for the poor countries then, is that what you're saying?

EU isn't about money, although it seems like this is what people are focusing on nowadays. Let's not forget that the second World War was just about 60 years ago, and if ye want another one your on the right way. Because economics is one of the reasons why i.e. Hitler was elected.

Well

about the fact that EU is about or not about money, i cannot answer. it depends on our politicians.
but what I think is sure is that an intra-european war is less and less likely to be declared.
and this is great.
it also allows easier cultural exchange and as far as I am concerned, I already passed six months in Italy (Erasmus program) and I return there each year to see friends.

kris

i think average british man opinion is the worry over the cost of a pint. maybe thats just the british way though.
i dont know a sodding thing about economics in my own country let alone within the continant, but i am always addressed with the problem of holding two views. although i celebrate the coming together of countries allowing travel, trade and generally better quality / easier life, i still think that this will lead to a EU culture and that individual conuntries will loose their national identity.
as a huge lover of italy, i was saddened when they crossed over and replaced their currency for the euro. it was hugely sentimental i admitt and in relation to the need for the economy to solve its problems through the union, a sentimental view of national identity doesnt stand much ground.
its just when i travel to a foreign country i go because its foreign, to experience and appreciate a foreign way of life - i dont know, i just worry that europe will end up a big murky blend on a palate instead of being distinct colours that are quite different from eachother but equally as unique and beautiful. sounds like mushy sentimental crap really doesnt it.

well,

I don't feel like even in the old times the differences between european countries were that big. In the Middle-Age, the way of living of an english and a spanish would not have been that different I think.
For me, differences can be only between really different cultures such as amerindian or african ones respected to european ones.
And thus, I don't think that being in the same political organization (same currency, same constitution,...) will make us lose our identity.
I mean I do not agree about the "national identity". For example, in France there are some really different cultures such as in Italy or elsewhere.
And I don't really think to be the "typical french guy", as the majority of french (the "typical french guy" might an exception in my country). And as far as I know, italians are not like the "typical italian guy" too.
Of course, I am happy being french but I do not think this nationality had the major role on my personal development.
The cultural differences between europeans are not that big that we can say "one is like this because he is of his nationality".
Maybe we can say that between Europeans and Amerindians or Africans but I am not that sure.

Kris

I've just been briefly talking this over with one of the student tutors, and maybe what I am tlaking about is tradtion. Lets take food laws for example. I'm not entirely sure on this so put me right if im talking bollocks, but surely an EU commity can pass laws etc on the way foods are produced, sauages for instance - now the traditional way of making sausages here is that any old shit goes in them, and although it is sickening to think about it, it is nevertheless tradtion. if say 24 of the countries agree to ban such methods and UK doesnt but it is passed regardless. then would that mean that, in a more general sense, countries would have less control over their traditions and customs? it just doesnt sit comfortably with me that people who do not understand other countries traditions and customs have the ablitiy to change them.

Well,

as far as the food is concerned, I know that in France for instance there is the AOC concept (Certified Origin of a Product) which defines the process and the area of production.
Those kinds of initiatives can be taken by some individuals or institutions, regardless of the State and EU. Local action is not forbidden but global institutions.
Europe is in construction now so we cannot imagine what it will bring but I think we can contribute to its success.

Maybe I am too optimistic...

Kris

pulled_under_balance_judgement said:
Well,
Maybe I am too optimistic...
:D it is a good quality to hold....maybe i worry too much :lol:
and surely in financial terms the richer countries will have to subsidise the poor countries. what kinda of implications does that hold?

For the poor countries and riche countries, it is a debate much larger than Europe but let's take the example of Italy.
In this country, there is a political movement (Lega Nord) which wants the separation of the Italy in two independant part, the North / rich one and the South / poor one...
It is not a european consequence. And if we consider the situation closer, we can see that the financial support of southern Italy is not made by the North Italy but by the EU.
It is a fact that some countries are helped by EU and others that pay for it.
But try to imagine being born in South Italy with no job and the mafia. Wouldn't you be happy to receive a little help ?
I am for a global elevation of the purchase power and not for increasing injustice. I think EU might be a positive answer but you are right we need to watch it carefully if we don't want to be robbed.

Kris

pulled_under_balance_judgement said:
For the poor countries and riche countries, it is a debate much larger than Europe but let's take the example of Italy.
In this country, there is a political movement (Lega Nord) which wants the separation of the Italy in two independant part, the North / rich one and the South / poor one...
It is not a european consequence. And if we consider the situation closer, we can see that the financial support of southern Italy is not made by the North Italy but by the EU.
It is a fact that some countries are helped by EU and others that pay for it.
But try to imagine being born in South Italy with no job and the mafia. Wouldn't you be happy to receive a little help ?
I am for a global elevation of the purchase power and not for increasing injustice. I think EU might be a positive answer but you are right we need to watch it carefully if we don't want to be robbed.

Kris

The same thing can be said about the Republic of Ireland, who have been helped a lot by the EU...