Welcome To L.A., Derek!

here's an excerpt from an interview i did with bruce back in 2003:

(on Derek Riggs): [He did the art for Knott’s Scary Farm last year and all the creatures looked like Eddie.] Do they? Well yeah. [laughs] Derek got bored with doing Eddies, basically. That’s pretty much all he did. He got bored with doing Eddies. As far as Iron Maiden was concerned, he was there to do Eddie. He started playing up and they just got some different guys in. It’s really as simple as that. He decided he wanted to become a musician at one point and he went off and starting doing sampling and stuff. Then he got into doing lots and lots of things with computer graphics. I actually used him to do an album cover and it was okay. But a couple of guys came up with stuff that was really, really scary as well. I think the realization that there were lots of other artists out there as well as Derek who could do things. Because a lot of what Derek did was actually specified and quite closely controlled by the band and/or the manager. For example, the [1984’s] Powerslave cover, or the Piece of Mind cover, even. “Aces High,” we all came up with. Eddie in a cockpit, big bullet through the back of the head and then the picture disc will be the spinning fields, as if the airplane’s going down, going down like that. So we told him what to draw and even specified Spitfire, crosses on the side. “Off you go, go do it.” Then he’d show us the drawing and we’d say, “Oh no, a bit more like this. More scary expression and stuff.” So a lot of what he did was imputed by us. Whilst it was sad ‘cause he was a very nice eccentric guy to have around, it wasn’t working after umpteen years. Not surprising, really. They’re all…

"He started playing up..." anyone familiar with this expression?

Interesting. Can't wait to read the book. I remember seeing an interivew with Derek that said more or less the same things. The band would come to him like on a Friday and he'd have until Monday to do the cover, and the whole thing about them coming to him and telling him how and what to do. I know I'd get a bit tired of that.

Still in later years he did the Rock In Rio (well it was suposed to be) crowd scene and allegedly a recent t-shirt for the new tour. But hey, if you're burned out you're burned out! I know when I got to about 10 years of doing art work in school and college I got tired of it and put my oils away.

I have yet to see an Iron Maiden cover or any CD for that matter as complex and microscopically detailed as the "Somewhere In Time" CD cover from Maiden.

Anyone who can draw the entire "Somewhere In Time" CD cover exactly with all the minature microscopic detailing in the background definitely deserves Kudos.

I have yet to see an Iron Maiden cover or any CD for that matter as complex and microscopically detailed as the "Somewhere In Time" CD cover from Maiden.

Anyone who can draw the entire "Somewhere In Time" CD cover exactly with all the minature microscopic detailing in the background definitely deserves Kudos.

I asked him how big the original artwork for the covers was. He said most was done on a 12x12 so not much bigger than an album cover but SIT was 15X15. :OMG: I always though the art was shrunk down but apparently not much.

Jim

We asked him was the funniest reaction he's gotten when meeting someone. He said that once Rod Smallwood (Maiden's manager) took him to the Capitol Records building for a business function, and Rod introduces Derek to someone as the guy who paints the Eddie corpse figure on the Maiden covers. Derek puts his hand out to shake the guys hand and the guy recoiled and let out a little gasp like he was meeting a real-life Eddie in the flesh. :lol: