Welcome!

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
I've started this forum for slightly selfish reasons, since I'm moving to the UK in May, and naturally want to suss out the UK metal scene beyond what you see in Kerrang et al.

What is your favourite band currently on the UK scene?

I've yet to hear Orange Goblin beyond one MP3, but I keep hearing good things about them. They're on my list of purchases-to-be from Customheavy.com :)

If you like Sabbathy Hawkindy type of old school metal you can't go wrong. There albums are good, but live they are something else. A six foot four bearded frontman giving it beans with non stop devil signs.

They're not all still going, and some are really new, but here goes -

Carcass, Cathedral, Godflesh, Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, Anaal Nathrakh, Clay, D-Shock, Payn, Lucys Drowning, Breed 77, Raging Speedhorn, Charger, Labrat, Rise, Emotive Exposed, Disarm Goliath (you'd like them, Mark - very old-school trad metal in an Iron Maiden stylee), and Cul.

Most of my fave UK bands at the moment have been more rock and roll than proper metal, bands like the Wildhearts & SilverGinger 5, Rachel Stamp the totally loopy Sack Trick (think Frank Zappa meets Kiss).

The Almighty and Therapy? are always pretty strong, Anathema and Paradise Lost are there for varying amounts of gloomyness.

Cathederal and Orange Goblin are leaders in the UK stoner style movement.

A good cd to pick up to try some UK bands is called 21st Century Blitz 2, available from www.centurymedia.net

ENT have bitten the dust from what I can gather.

I'm ashamed to admit that good UK bands are few and far between. Bands here tend to look to America for inspiration, and they can hardly be blamed given the blanket media coverage US bands get.

I think the most underrated band was The Beyond, who later became Gorilla. They signed a big deal with EMI in the early '90s, had an awful lot of money spent on them but just didn't break through. They were genuinely ahead of their time, and were all fantastic musicians, but they couldn't be pigeonholed by the press and ended up being dropped.

Earthtone 9 have developed into a formidible group over the last couple of years, and there's emerging talent from the likes of Forever Until October and Antiproduct (great live, BTW, though fronted by an American..).

Unfortunately unforgivable shite like Raging Speedhorn and Defrenestration seem to get most of the homegrown attention here, as well as the usual crop of bandwagon jumpers that emerge everytime a new trend appears. True innovative bands from the UK seem to be a thing of the past. In metal, at least.

Lee B

Great to see a UK metal forum :)

Well my fave UK bands tend to be on the hardcore side of metal. Try checking out Stampin' Ground, Decimate and Knuckledust. They're all pretty damn heavy and Stampin' Ground touch on grind a lot.

Raging Speedhorn 'unforgiveable shite'?!?! Would you like to take this into the Hate Pit? :)
Only joking. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if I think you're totally, completely and unequivocably wrong. I'm completely with you on Defenestration though - they should all be shot.

Hmmmm, UK wise, we got DEMON, BLAZE, Area 54 & Saxon that should get more press, okay, DEMON & Saxon are knocking on a bit, but they still ROCK.

Then again, you know what im like with Area 54 mark, i KINDA like em ;)

You know, it's sometimes really bad liking almost every band you hear that fits loosely under the rock and metal categories - 'cos you end up feeling like sooner or later, the whole world disagrees with at least one of your preferences! Hehehe...

Sorry, must have had a little paranoia for breakfast this morning...

~.. Just happens to stumble into this thread~

Nooo Mark!! You can't leave us!! You have to stay in Australiaaaaaa! This is your home! Don't goo...!

... By the way, why are you leaving? :lol:

Originally posted by DarkOfTheSun
Great to see a UK metal forum :)

Well my fave UK bands tend to be on the hardcore side of metal. Try checking out Stampin' Ground, Decimate and Knuckledust. They're all pretty damn heavy and Stampin' Ground touch on grind a lot.

yeah ive seen em all (Decimate twice) and they're fucking brilliant. i'd have to say Stampin' Ground are the best live band ive seen (at the hardcore all-dayer in Kingston, hmn looking back at the fact i had an A Level exam the next day i shouldn't have gone) but it was worth it. others you might know that would fit into the catagory of good hardcore, Underule, isis, old man gloom, and well although theyre not hardcore check out Gutworm and Descent too :D