well, i never thought i'd be asking this

The only trailer I've seen so far is the very short cut of Sid Haig, Sheri Moon, and Bill Mosley walking up the road toward the camera, so I can't tell much about it, but I've read a few articles saying that the whole thing is darker/more brutal than the first. I enjoyed the first one in spite of its weaknesses, so I'm looking forward to it. It's due out sometime in late July, last I'd heard.

Definitly, tension was nonexistent passed the first 20 minutes.

Also:
It also seems that the guys at Lion's Gate are very pleased with the film, one guy was quoted saying... "The film is much darker and nastier than anything seen in the first film. The difference between this film and House of 1000 Corpses is night and day. The first film looks like Finding Nemo compared to The Devil's Rejects. Mr. Zombie is far exceeding our expectations."
http://www.upcominghorrormovies.com/movies/corpses2.php

I agree about the lack of tension. I'm not sure if much tension could have been created in that movie in the first place, given that the "main" characters were more or less designed in a way such that the audience doesn't care what happens to them so much as they care that what happens is gruesome/gory/cool. At least that's the way I felt about them, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

From what I understand of the next movie Rob is trying to almost do a kind of homage to westerns the way the first was an homage to Horror movies of the past. The plot is something like the brother of the Sheriff they killed comes after them, kills some of the family, but others get away. He then hires bounty hunters who are as bad as the family pretty much to go after them. Then I think it pretty much becomes a bloody killing spree down the highway.