Well.. I'm new here, bit of help please?

raisbeck

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2009
Hello! I'm James, 20, and I'm from the UK!

Really sorry if I've got this topic in the wrong area of the board, but none the less, I'm after a bit of help, and think I've come to the right place!

I'm starting university in September, studying Music Production, I've already done a year studying Music Technology, so I have a semi-good knowledge about what you're all going on about in here.. but anyway, I'm after starting a modest bedroom studio, I'll have a nice 23" imac on it's way in the very near future, and I'd like some tips and advice on what else i'll need to get underway.. I'm currently looking at, and pricing up DAW controllers, the rack mountable line 6 pod XT and some basic SM57s for mic'ing up my Orange Rocker 30 and my soon to be obtained Mesa Boogie DC-5, apart from XLR cables.. and a good set of monitors.. what else do i need?

Anyone suggest any decent/cheap enough external soundcards?!

any help would be HUGELY appreciated, thankyou!

James.x

well you're on the right path I believe, and you do need and external sound card Aka interface. for decent and cheap I suggest a Focusrite Saffire but that's just me, I say it from personal experience. The POd xt could work as a sound card, but it ain't too good for that. It is good for getting some nice guitar tones though, I'm a POD fan indeed, and if you buy the bass pack with that POD you're ready to go with bass also, since I see you don't have a bass amp/rig or bass DI. Still, if you get a decent interface with good "instrument" input you could use that as a DI and put some free ampsims on bass, like the acmebargig one. This could work with guitars too, some people on here have gotten some great tones out of free ampsims (soloc, 7170) and impulses.

You could also do miracles with good accoustic treatment, many DIY accoustic sites and tutorials on the web, do a search

Your school will likely want you to have a Pro Tools system, mine did and I would have failed for sure if I didn't have it. Get an external Firewire hard drive too, you'll need it for recording and transferring projects between home and school.
Get some decent headphones too.
BTW if you ask your school, they'll likely tell you EXACTLY what to get for your course.

thanks alot, yeah i'm gonna look into getting on of them saffire soundcards.. look promising and i've heard some pretty good things about em..

And yes, good call, I should probably enquire about what we'll be using at uni, thanks alot both of you!

James x