Wendy Dio - interesting statement

TribunalRecords

Record Label(s)/Vocalist
Sep 12, 2007
www.tribunalrecords.net
just got this on Facebook:

The Official Ronnie James Dio Fan Page
"Dear Friends and Fans of Ronnie, I have seen lately on Blabbermouth.net a lot of announcements of bands releasing "so-called" Dio Tribute CD's. Please do not be fooled by thinking that they are doing this for the Fund, the money is going in their pockets and not to the Fund. I find this totally disgraceful and upsetting that they are trying to make money off Ronnie's death." - Wendy Dio

I don't know where the money from the Jorn CD in particular is going, but it's important to remember that this was the album he was making before Dio even got sick.

MANOWAR's 'Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio': Complete Details Revealed - June 15, 2010

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141575

And in response...

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=325466964&blogId=535916305:

From David "Rock" Feinstein's Myspace blog:

*PRESS RELEASE FROM DAVID "ROCK" FEINSTEIN*
Category: Music

I just found out that ( Magic Circle Music ) stated on their site that I was contributing a song to their proposed tribute album to DIO. It also states that I specifically wrote this song for Ronnie. This is totally UNTRUE! The song is a song called "Far Beyond", and was a cut on the "FEINSTEIN", "THIRD WISH" album, released by Magic Circle Music, (SPV) in 2004. The song was co written by myself and John West eight years ago. I am NOT a part of this Magic Circle tribute album, and will ONLY be a part of any tribute to Ronnie that is sanctioned by "Niji Entertainment Group", and Wendy Dio.

David "Rock" Feinstein

I understand how it must look to Wendy at this point and I guess you can debate Jorn releasing the album so soon but everything I've heard from it is incredible, truly a worthy tribute to the legend. I think perhaps she is just trying to keep any Dio tributes associated with the "Stand Up And Shout" fund for now...

I can't say I blame her. This was bound to happen, but to Jorn's defense he had been working on it. Also the fact that he's one of the two singers on that Heaven and Hell tribute show to Dio I think makes him more legit.

I get where she's coming from, but none of these tribute albums have claimed to be associated with the charity in any way. Jorn had his tribute in the works for a while, and his intent was to pay respect, nothing more. I can't knock him for that at all, and I don't think anyone would accuse Jorn of trying to make money off of Dio's death.

I can't say I blame her. This was bound to happen, but to Jorn's defense he had been working on it. Also the fact that he's one of the two singers on that Heaven and Hell tribute show to Dio I think makes him more legit.

I get where she's coming from, but none of these tribute albums have claimed to be associated with the charity in any way. Jorn had his tribute in the works for a while, and his intent was to pay respect, nothing more. I can't knock him for that at all, and I don't think anyone would accuse Jorn of trying to make money off of Dio's death.

Yep, agreed...

I don't know where the money from the Jorn CD in particular is going, but it's important to remember that this was the album he was making before Dio even got sick.

I heard that Wendy Dio gave his approval towards Jorn-Dio disc. I think she's more talking about that thing from the Manowar guy. Even more true when you read Rock Feinstein's comments about it...

MANOWAR's 'Magic - A Tribute to Ronnie James Dio': Complete Details Revealed - June 15, 2010

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141575

And in response...

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=325466964&blogId=535916305:

I just found out that ( Magic Circle Music ) stated on their site that I was contributing a song to their proposed tribute album to DIO. It also states that I specifically wrote this song for Ronnie. This is totally UNTRUE! The song is a song called "Far Beyond", and was a cut on the "FEINSTEIN", "THIRD WISH" album, released by Magic Circle Music, (SPV) in 2004. The song was co written by myself and John West eight years ago. I am NOT a part of this Magic Circle tribute album, and will ONLY be a part of any tribute to Ronnie that is sanctioned by "Niji Entertainment Group", and Wendy Dio.

David "Rock" Feinstein
I think David (whoever he is) is making all this sound much more malicious than it actually is. First, there's nothing illegal about recording a tribute to someone who inspired you. Second, there's no claim anywhere that the proceeds from this disc will go to any charity. So it's not like they're misleading anyone. Finally, it doesn't say that David's song is a new song. Sounds to me like this unknown guy is trying to get himself some free press by invoking Dio and Manowar in his blog.

Unfortunately, after the passing of someone cherrished, these types of squabbles always seem to break out. I appreciate that everyone's emotions are currently close to the skin. But I just don't see any malice or wrongdoing here.

Since you're General Zod, I'm going to go with you are kidding in that post. You must be aware of the connection between David Feinstein and Ronnie Dio.
But to respond seriously, I don't think he's taking it out of proportion by getting word of his angle out on a blog. If this went on for months and months and he tried taking more extreme action about it, then yes that could be overdoing it, but a single post addressing an issue that directly involves him, is legit.

Since you're General Zod, I'm going to go with you are kidding in that post. You must be aware of the connection between David Feinstein and Ronnie Dio.
With regard to who David is, I'm half kidding. I'm aware that he's Ronnie's cousin and was in Elf a billion years ago, back when the Earth was cooling and dinosaurs still roamed the lands. But he's been completely irrelevant for decades. To wit, any sort of public mud-sligging match he can get into with Manowar, especially if in doing so he positions himself as the white knight, defending the Dio flame, is good for his career.

But to respond seriously, I don't think he's taking it out of proportion by getting word of his angle out on a blog.
Whenever people choose to hold their disputes in a public forum, I question their motives. Couldn't he have easily called Magic Circle and opted out?

Does he have a right to blog about it? Sure. Am I wrong to be skeptical? I don't think so, but it's cool if you see things differently.

David "Rock" Feinstein

A little off topic, but if you haven't heard Feinstein's Third Wish CD, it is absolutely amazing. One of my top 10 and it gets a regular spin....

With regard to who David is, I'm half kidding. I'm aware that he's Ronnie's cousin and was in Elf a billion years ago, back when the Earth was cooling and dinosaurs still roamed the lands. But he's been completely irrelevant for decades.

Ever heard about THE RODS? They did some quite successful discs in the 80s. And 2003's FEINSTEIN-Third Wish (with John West on vox) was a killer melodic metal album. Feinstein has a new solo CD coming too, with also a new The Rods albums too.
So, it's not true that he's been "irrelevant" for decades. He's as much "relevant" as many other bands/artists discussed around here IMO.

A little off topic, but if you haven't heard Feinstein's Third Wish CD, it is absolutely amazing. One of my top 10 and it gets a regular spin....

You're totally right. Great album that still gets regular spins on my side too. I'm looking forward to the new Feinstein disc, it's just too bad he didn't get John West again to sing for him. David can be a competent singer, but far to be as good as West.

Ever heard about THE RODS? They did some quite successful discs in the 80s.
Never heard of them. Even so, being relevant in the 80s, wouldn't make you relevant 30 years later.

So, it's not true that he's been "irrelevant" for decades. He's as much "relevant" as many other bands/artists discussed around here IMO.
On all of Ultimate Metal, there have been exactly 5 different threads dedicated to FEINSTEIN (4 of which were started by UM staff). By way of comparison, there have been threads 400 dedicated to Nevermore, 168 dedicated to Circus Maximus, and 166 dedicated to Sabaton. So to say he's just as relevant as the other bands discussed around here, simply because you like him, simply isn't true. Don't get me wrong, he may be writing some great music. But to say he's "just as relevant" just isn't accurate.

THE RODS are celebrating 30 years this year and have been doing reunion shows with a reissue of the classic "Wild Dogs" album just recently. The are completely relevant to those of us who are fans. you don't even have to go so far back as 30 years to be irrelevant, i mean look at Nevermore now. irrelevant, well completely irrelevant to me anyways. ;)

THE RODS are celebrating 30 years this year and have been doing reunion shows with a reissue of the classic "Wild Dogs" album just recently. The are completely relevant to those of us who are fans. you don't even have to go so far back as 30 years to be irrelevant, i mean look at Nevermore now. irrelevant, well completely irrelevant to me anyways. ;)
The question at hand isn't, what is relevant to a given individual. By way of example, in my world, I'm far more relevant than Lady Gaga, Simon Cowell and the cast of Twilight combined. I don't watch those shows, view those movies or listen to that music. Those things simply aren't relevant to me. However, that's not true to 99.999999% of the planet. labrekk's statement about Feinstein was, "He's as much "relevant" as many other bands/artists discussed around here IMO." We can look at the forum, or the community as a whole, and gauge (with a fair amount of accuracy) how relevant an artist is. And when we look at those things we can see, he's simply not relevant in this scene.