Wendy Dio - interesting statement

The question at hand isn't, what is relevant to a given individual. By way of example, in my world, I'm far more relevant than Lady Gaga, Simon Cowell and the cast of Twilight combined. I don't watch those shows, view those movies or listen to that music. Those things simply aren't relevant to me. However, that's not true to 99.999999% of the planet. labrekk's statement about Feinstein was, "He's as much "relevant" as many other bands/artists discussed around here IMO." We can look at the forum, or the community as a whole, and gauge (with a fair amount of accuracy) how relevant an artist is. And when we look at those things we can see, he's simply not relevant in this scene.

i can agree and see how he isn't relevant in a prog metal forum. now a classic rock/metal forum. totally different.

plus, i love this album and artwork! still trying to relocate it on vinyl.
rods.jpg

i can agree and see how he isn't relevant in a prog metal forum. now a classic rock/metal forum. totally different.
That I can't speak to. All I can say is, UM has very active Old School and General Discussion forums, and he generates no chatter on either of those forums either.

If someone wants to posts some YouTube links, to some of his stronger material, I wouldn't mind checking it out. Gracias.

You're surely right. I prefer shitty music and you prefer good music. I rest my case.

Ahhh, somebody is trying to use sarcasm, and it's not working...

Listen dude, don't try to distort things and make it like I think your taste is wrong. I never said that you prefer shitty music, nor I implied it. If anything, I figured if you really like this band, we must have very different tastes. Therefore, standards are different.

Have you checked the Apples & Oranges thread in the Lounge? I think you should...

Listen dude, don't try to distort things and make it like I think your taste is wrong. I never said that you prefer shitty music, nor I implied it. If anything, I figured if you really like this band, we must have very different tastes. Therefore, standards are different.

Have you checked the Apples & Oranges thread in the Lounge? I think you should...

Milton likes PoS. I rest my case! :Smokedev:

:saint:

I get where she's coming from, but none of these tribute albums have claimed to be associated with the charity in any way. Jorn had his tribute in the works for a while, and his intent was to pay respect, nothing more. I can't knock him for that at all, and I don't think anyone would accuse Jorn of trying to make money off of Dio's death.

oh we will debate this one later. HAHA Until then I ask where is that cynical view of things?

relevant or irrelevant it is pointless to discuss here. When it comes to forums and I refer to any (won't just single out this one this time) the only metal that is "relevant" is the bands that that forum has heard of.
I have said many times that forums are just a small drop in the vast sea of metal and rock. Just because a band is not discussed here doesn't mean they are not "relevant"., it only means they are not on the radar of a Angra fan or whatever.
Why does Eddie Trunk come to mind right now?
I have often wondered how the internet and forums have made the world a smaller place yet everyone in them sounds like they believe the world is flat again.
The Rods are a great band and actually have a quite strong following and have for three decades. Most bands today will never achieve that. Then again maybe they will as long as there are people in forums to argue relevance.

As I'm good at comparing apples and oranges, I'll say that Feinstein-Third Wish is much better for me than any Angra disc...Which makes it more relevant FOR ME than anything Angra-related, which I don't give a damn about. But it's just because my music quality standards are *slightly* different than yours.

"Relevance" is a very personal subject. It can not be discussed.

That said - if you want to compare apples and oranges, I'm pretty certain that the only way to do that with metal releases are to compare sales, and by those Feinstein's "Third Wish" clearly outnumbers most of the obscure prog/power bands we talk about here. Also, the promotional campaign behind "Third Wish" (by both Magic Circle AND SPV) was way larger than most power/prog album promo campaigns.

Btw, "Third Wish" could have been a great album - good production, good songs, and John West is an incredible singer ... NORMALLY. Why he has chosen to deliver a mediocre vocal performance here is beyond me - I just don't get it. There are several places on the disc where he is at best very pitchy (I'd go as far as to accuse him of being out of tune).

c.

PS: back to original subject - Joey DeMaio is a douchebag.

Btw, "Third Wish" could have been a great album - good production, good songs, and John West is an incredible singer ... NORMALLY. Why he has chosen to deliver a mediocre vocal performance here is beyond me - I just don't get it. There are several places on the disc where he is at best very pitchy (I'd go as far as to accuse him of being out of tune).

Here you go again with this...You definitely hear something I don't cause I find West to be excellent on Third Wish, as good as he is on his other releases. But we already argued about that in the past...:D

As I'm good at comparing apples and oranges, I'll say that Feinstein-Third Wish is much better for me than any Angra disc...Which makes it more relevant FOR ME than anything Angra-related, which I don't give a damn about. But it's just because my music quality standards are *slightly* different than yours.

Which is totally fine with me, dude. I don't think any less of you for preferring Feinstein over Angra.

I honestly never thought Feinstein was relevant. I'm in many metal forums and don't recall seeing much about it. The publications which I have written for also didn't talk much about it (maybe I just didn't notice it). I will be the first one to admit that I *usually* don't pay that much attention to more old-school stuff or the traditional 80s metal style. That could've been it. I also wasn't aware of the 30 year anniversary thing that was mentioned. I still don't see people talking about them everyday or how much they're adding to the current metal scene. To me, that makes a band not so relevant. And before anyone tries to take jabs at Angra, I also don't find them relevant anymore.

Which is totally fine with me, dude. I don't think any less of you for preferring Feinstein over Angra.

I honestly never thought Feinstein was relevant. I'm in many metal forums and don't recall seeing much about it. The publications which I have written for also didn't talk much about it (maybe I just didn't notice it). I will be the first one to admit that I *usually* don't pay that much attention to more old-school stuff or the traditional 80s metal style. That could've been it. I also wasn't aware of the 30 year anniversary thing that was mentioned. I still don't see people talking about them everyday or how much they're adding to the current metal scene. To me, that makes a band not so relevant. And before anyone tries to take jabs at Angra, I also don't find them relevant anymore.

As someone who spends way too much time reading metal sites/posting on forums, hosting a metal college radio show, receiving promos, etc, this is the first time I've ever seen anyone discuss Feinstein for more than 2 posts. Ever.

As someone who spends way too much time reading metal sites/posting on forums, hosting a metal college radio show, receiving promos, etc, this is the first time I've ever seen anyone discuss Feinstein for more than 2 posts. Ever.

That's my point, exactly. I get press releases every single day. I only heard of Feinstein's Third Wish because SPV sent me the promo when it came out years ago. I don't recall any of the magazines I worked with (RockHard, Valhalla to name a few) doing anything on that. I will repeat though, before people start attacking, that I may simply have missed the article.

I understand how it must look to Wendy at this point and I guess you can debate Jorn releasing the album so soon but everything I've heard from it is incredible, truly a worthy tribute to the legend. I think perhaps she is just trying to keep any Dio tributes associated with the "Stand Up And Shout" fund for now...

And of course, Wendy gave her approval to allow Jorn (and Hughes) to stand in for Ronnie at the Heaven and Hell concert next month (which was scheduled before Dio's illness) that will benefit the RJD cancer fund.

If Wendy thought the timing of Jorn's tribute was in bad taste, then there is no way she let's Jorn sing at Ronnie's tribute. If Jorn is on good terms with Wendy, Iommi, and Butler, then there should really be no reason for fans to be critical of Jorn for the timing of the release of his tribute CD. Just my $0.02.

And of course, Wendy gave her approval to allow Jorn (and Hughes) to stand in for Ronnie at the Heaven and Hell concert next month (which was scheduled before Dio's illness) that will benefit the RJD cancer fund.

If Wendy thought the timing of Jorn's tribute was in bad taste, then there is no way she let's Jorn sing at Ronnie's tribute. If Jorn is on good terms with Wendy, Iommi, and Butler, then there should really be no reason for fans to be critical of Jorn for the timing of the release of his tribute CD. Just my $0.02.

Oh so that's what this thread's about? Thank you!