Were the Hell do I Start With Recording?

epicpenguin

Isa pooped ma anus
Dec 21, 2011
England
I have been playing guitar for 3 years now and i want to start recording. there i a lot of material on the internet about using DAW's but i dont even know what the best way to get an amp in to a computer yet. if an experienced home recorder could help that would be really cool.

There are several methods that you could use to record your music. I can only share with you what I have done myself.

Now the two different methods that I have used are either mic your amp and record this way which is probably the better method, or use something like Guitar Rig to record your guitar parts directly to your computer.

Either way you will probably mix all the parts together in a DAW. There are several choices and its really up to personal preference. I, myself, have gotten really comfortable with Sonar, but I have also used Ableton Live and thats not bad either.

Now for miking your amp you will need a mic (preferably a phantom powered mic) and I myself plug the mic into a mixer which can then be plugged into your computer's line-in and then you can record using your DAW. Anyways I don't know if this helps, but I hope at least it gives you some ideas.

Going the "all computer" route....

You need some sort of interface to get the guitar into the computer. You can get a USB interface that has a guitar input on it. Personally I use an M-Audio Fasttrack PRO.

Then you need software. Cubase, Pro Tools, Logic - take your pick. I've used Cubase and Logic, and now I use Reaper. There's a uncrippled demo version available, and it's about $50 to buy. Think of this as you're multitrack recorder.

You'll need effects for your guitar. Amplitube and Guitar Rig are two commercial packages. There are also a lot of freebies about. They're not as polished and sometimes you have to stick a few together, but you can get good results. These are your effects, and guitar amp.

If you're not recording bass, there are free bass guitar synths. Can't recall the names, but Google is your friend.

Drums. Never been down the free route. Toontrack EZDrummer is a good starting point for not much money.

Vocals. Many of the interfaces will take a mic fine. All the processing effects are again freely available.

After that, it's just many many hours getting familiar and sussing out what works for you.

Don't be fooled into spending a lot of money!

If you go to my music page http://www.eightdeadlywords.com/music.htm, nearly everything was done inside the software. Most of it was free. We only recorded the drums in a studio, and to be honest they were done in 2 sessions costing us about $40 a session. EZDrummer will do a pretty good job. I've got links on there to most of the software.

Hope that helps!

Here's what I use:

Line 6 UX1 interface (Doesn't cost much more than other interfaces, and it comes with a pretty good amp sim. Although if you want to play super-brootal stuff, I'd recommend buying the metal shop add-on.)

I use the UX1 for monitoring and as a practice amp (through the monitors,) but record dry input and reamp it later.

I program drums with Hydrogen, a very good, free, step sequencer drum machine.

Vocals I use a Shure SM58.

VSTs worth looking into:

Poulin Recab (Cab simulator)
Ignite NRR-1 (Free amp sim. Fleshgod Apocalypse use it.)
X-cita (Lets you contour bass and treble, sort of like a BBE sonic maximizer)

Here's what I use:

Started with a free version of Ableton Live that came with my Mustang I practice amp. Used USB connection to go to the computer.

Later changed to IK Multimedia steath plug to go into computer. ($40 used). That came with even more powerful amp/cab sims (free)

Upgraded the Ableton Live along the way ($99) and then bought some great monitors as I noticed that I hated using headphones and I had enough going to try to "mix" --> $150.00 used Alesis MKIIs.

Later spent $150 on interface: Focusrite Sappire 6 USB. (new)

For drum loops I went to betamonkeymusic.com ($25 will keep you busy for a year) . Now I'm messing with fully programmable midi loops ...

Since then discovered tons and tons of free amp and cab sims (see elsewhere on this forum)..... I have a mic for recording but that takes some practice to get right ...

At this point I have no more need for gear .. just need to practice and keep writing.

My main advice: pick your DAW (recording software) and stick to it!! See who offers discounts on interfaces and vice versa .. I'm not a pro but have tons and tons of research. PM me w ?s