Whammy Bar noob question

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Hi,

A complete noob question about the whammy bar. I've never had a guitar with a whammy bar so far, I usually have the string-through-body type, Les Paul type. Anyway, the few times I fiddled with guitars in the shop that had whammy bars didn't seem to "ascend" when I tried to pull on them. I know that sounds retarded. But I could only ever manage a dive. I'm wondering, was I using a regular "tremolo bar" or was I just too stupid to figure it out? And how can you tell if the guitar you're thinking of buying has the right kind of ascending AND diving? For some good thrash screams. I wanted to get a 7-string with a whammy, probably an Ibanez. Unless anyone knows of anything better in the 700$ range. ;)

yep most ibanez will "pull up" infact most modern trem equiped guitars will pull up as long as there is a cut-out/recess in the body around the trem unit. Only when the trem is mounted on top of the body without any rear cutout would you not be able to pull up: otherwise you would be bashing the body with the underside of the trem unit. check out:

Last edited by a moderator: