Can you use the whammy bar without messing your tuning?!?!?!?!

demondeath

Metal
Sep 10, 2002
Philippines
Visit site
I really love using the whammy bar but the fucker messes my tuning. I only have an ordinary bridge and my guitar is a crappy one(I installed an EMG 85 though). Is there a proper way to use it or will it just mess my tuning.One time when we were playing at a party I abused my whammy bar and when its time to play master of puppets my strings werent fucking tuned.I managed though and it sounded good but not perfect. Any advice??

I had the very same problem with my first guitar, and it totally turned me off of both tremolo usage and strat-clones in general. =P

With a non-locking vintage style trem, you're either going to have to live with this problem or opt to only use it with moderation (or not at all). The oldie style tremolos just weren't built to be used that way. As a matter of fact, Jimi Hendrix had the same kind of problem in his day, but he probably had several guitars tuned up and ready for a quick switch between songs.

The only trems that will let the guitar stay in tune after some whammy abuse are the double locking models, such as Floyd Rose.

You could probably have a Floyd Rose bridge installed on your guitar, but it would be an expensive operation. It would probably be more cost efficient to get another guitar that already has one. This is what I did - I bought my Jackson Rhoads (used) at almost half the price than what it would've cost to have my Flying V "Floyded".

Hmm...well, not quite, because:
1) The strings still aren't locked in the bridge, so it will not be as stable as a good double-locking system.
2) If he doesn't have fine-tuners on his trem, he'll be in hell. Tightening the locking nut alters the tuning somewhat. Plus, every time he'd need to adjust the tuning he'd have to unbolt the locking nut. Not fun.

I have this friend who has a floyd rose and a locking nut but still his tuning gets messed up after using the whammy a couple of times.Well his guitar is also kinda crap......So basically I cant use my whammy unless I have floyd rose?

Every one of my guitars, except for one, have double locking Floyd or licensed floyds.

With a proper stretching when I put new strings on, I NEVER have any serious tuning stability issues.

After a pull up, sometimes I may need to adjust a string or two, but when I'm doing dives, I never have problems.

I have a Korg DTR-1 tuner running in my rig constantly, so I can tell if I'm off a few cents...

Floyd Rose systems (double locking) will keep you in tune. Cheap floyd copies and cheap posts will result in the knife edges going. Once they are gone forget it really...

I have floyds on all my guitars and never go out of tune, and this includes sustaine whammy abuse (up/down/whatever) in violent ways (have broken trem bars before). Basically the main reason I use ibanez is because of the edge trem system. Very stable, very nice. Look out for the cheap models, they don't have it and it shows...

But what to look for is good posts and sharp hardened steel knife edges. A retainer bar behind the locking nut will help stability quite a lot as well (not to mention keeping the strings very close to pitch when locking the nut)

Anyway, keeping it tune after abuse is possible :)

my floyds do go out of tune, but my wilkinson NEVER does. smooth as a babies bottom too, no creaks, no string pops... I love it.

locking tuners are an excellent way of staying in tune though. sperzel, schaller, gotoh, etc...

Really? I've never had any good experiences with Wilkinsons... they're a step up from Vintage type trems, I'll give them that, but even with sperzels or other locking tuners, they don't lock at the trem...