What a Great 2008!

TENTH DREAMER DECEIVER

Halcyon Way Sufferer
Jan 7, 2002
Now, 2008 is almost over I'm reflecting on what a great metal year it was.

- My own 25th anniversary of listening to the music.

- Meeting Dream Theater (James Labrie was a good guy), Judas Priest (second time but the complete band - Halford!), Jon Oliva's Pain, Circle II Circle, Gamma Ray (Kai!), Helloween (even though the band were acting like tossers) and Brian Vollmer (Helix).

- Seeing Maiden twice (Toronto & Calgary: Heaven Can Wait Winner!), Judas Priest three times (Vancouver, Calgary, Las Vegas), Metallica twice, Megadeth, Motley Crue, Y&T (San Francisco - Fillmore!), the Monsters of Rock Festival (Voivod, Cavelera Conspiracy, Testament etc), seeing Yngwie with Owens on vocals in Vegas and of course my first ProgPower in Atlanta!

- New albums by Priest, Yngwie, Metallica, Metal Church, Cynic, King's X, Whitesnake, Motorhead, Leverage, John Lawton (OTR) and Uriah Heep and a whole wack more of new (H.E.A.T. !) and old stuff!

Here's hoping for an even better 2009!

For me, it was a great year of live metal:
Trouble X 2
Iced Earth X 2
Candlemass
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Edguy
Kamelot
Priest
Motorhead
Heaven and Hell
Testament
Sigh
Novembers Doom

I think my 2008 was limited to Black Crowes live and Icarus Witch live...and the greatest show I ever saw...Jon Oliva with CircleIICircle and Manticora. Other than that...nada. I didn't even purchase 100 Cd's this year and my collection is over 10,000. I just got picky since theres so much schitt out there

There were several great new albums(special kudos to local legends Theocracy and Halcyon Way on the respective releases of their albums) and a few good concert tours I got to see this year, as well as PPUSA IX and Hellish Rock, which were both simply outstanding! I'd rate this year in metal a stellar 10/10! Hail! The brand new EbS EP will be out in early January, so 2009 will get off to a tremendous metallic start!

Amon Amarth
At the Gates
Belphegor
Boston
Def Leppard
Eluveitie
Ensiferum x2
Gamma Ray
Helloween
Iron Maiden
Municipal Waste
Nightwish
REO Speedwagon
Soilwork
Sonata Arctica
Styx x2
Turisas
Tyr

I'd say it was a pretty good year of live music for me, too. Seeing Ensiferum twice in one year was absolutely great, nevermind actually being able to see ATG. This year was my 4th time seeing Amon Amarth, I think. And 2009 already looks to be shaping up better than this year.

Not to be contrarian, but from my perspective 2008 was a down year for Metal. When I look at my own Top 10, it feels very weak, even at the top. There wasn't a single disc I'd score a 10/10 or even a 9/10. Don't get wrong... there was some strong material released in 2008, just nothing exceptional. The more established artists who I was expecting to deliver the goods, either fell short of greatness or completely missed the mark. And with the exception of Velnias, 2008 didn't have a surprise artist, who just completely came out of no where and kicked my ass.

That said, 2009 is shaping up to be a promising year. The new discs from Fen and Vreid are both excellent (both possibly better than anything from '08). I have very high hopes for the new Gwynbleidd. Plus, releases from Novembers Doom, Drudkh, Agalloch, Wolverine, Down, Ajattara, Isis, Secrets of the Moon and Orphaned Land should construct a much healthier Top 10 in 2009.

Zod