What about Kings X?

Mooseknuckle

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Sep 16, 2006
Charleston AFB, SC
So I have been a major fan of the band since "out of The Silent Planet" came out, and I think "Ogre Tones" is their best cd in several years. I was wondering if there would be any interest in seeing them at the fest. I saw them for their Dogman tour and they put on an awesome show. Any thoughts?

But they also fall into the category of 'Played lots in the US.' Thus, I dont' think they'd pull people to the fest, but I do think that people at the fest would give them the reception they deserve.

This is a strange band for me in the sense that I think they have some awesome grooves, but I don't consider myself a fan. With that being said, I'd welcome seeing them at the fest. They're well respected among metal/hard rock musicians, but most casual music listeners are clueless when it comes to them. Dogman is for sure my favorite by them though.:kickass:

But they also fall into the category of 'Played lots in the US.' Thus, I dont' think they'd pull people to the fest, but I do think that people at the fest would give them the reception they deserve.

They're well respected among metal/hard rock musicians, but most casual music listeners are clueless when it comes to them.

Agreed on both counts.

I've seen King's X several dozen times, and I'd still pay money to see them at PP. I'd even consider a duo sponsorship.

King's X keeps getting brought up and there is a reason for that. This band, along with Fates Warning, helped set the groundwork for the Prog Metal that we listen to today. Unfortunately they don't get the recognition they deserve. Hey...they got rotation on MTV back in the day doing their thing & it wasn't popular back then either. I for one would be more than happy if they graced PP with their performance. Yeah they tour and have recorded material with some of the best. But l'm not sure they've been appreciated like they should. Hopefully PP would do that.

Love the band have seen them many times. Would love to see them again anywhere. Having said that I'm not sure if they would necessarily be the right fit for PP, based primarily on the demographic.

I don't think they'd fit, since they're not at all metal. the same argument could be made for a band or two who've played at ProgPower, I suppose, but I consider everyone I've seen before at least metal-ish, and I don't think King's X fits the bill any more than say, Marillion. I'm not a King's X fan, but I wouldn't really want to see M at PP either.

Shaye

I've never had the opportunity to see King's X play and all I've ever heard people say is "You gotta see these guys play live!". So I'd be open to them playing Progpower.

Marillion would be awesome to see.

Hope you still respect me Shaye (ha ha).

I've never had the opportunity to see King's X play and all I've ever heard people say is "You gotta see these guys play live!". So I'd be open to them playing Progpower.

Marillion would be awesome to see.

Hope you still respect me Shaye (ha ha).

Hey, I respect anyone who likes Marillion! Well, okay, not everyone... ;)

I saw King's X a couple weeks ago here in Atlanta... not quite my cup of tea, but they sounded heavier live than I remembered, and my buddy Johan said yes, he thought they sound heavier live, and they are certainly a tight band. Interesting to see even for a non-fan, I thought.

Shaye

I don't think they'd fit, since they're not at all metal. the same argument could be made for a band or two who've played at ProgPower, I suppose, but I consider everyone I've seen before at least metal-ish, and I don't think King's X fits the bill any more than say, Marillion. I'm not a King's X fan, but I wouldn't really want to see M at PP either.

Shaye

co-signed!

I have seen K's X (with friends Galactic Cowboys) and that was quite a great live show.

I love Marillion, obviously, but not much of a fit for PP. Their newer stuff is even lighter than their old, and not even stuff I listen too anymore. They don't really perform their old (Fish) material much. While nice to see, don't think it's a fit for PP.

I love Kings X too, but I'm kind of borderline about seeing them there. They tour enough here in the states that you can see them pretty regularly. I saw them in small club here in SD not this year. I'd rather catch a European band that I will never otherwise get a chance to see.