What albums are your biggest disappointments of 2003?

ProgMetalFan said:
Labyrinth - ... really enjoyed it at first... but now I can only listen to about 2 songs... not the rebound from "Sons of Thunder" I was expecting
I must say I agree with this assessment; though I'd say 3 songs are what I listen to when I pop this in, but it's been awhile.

Metallica's St. Anger, but after hearing that it wouldn't include any guitar solo's, and that everyting was written on the spot, I wasn't really expecting much either.

Opeth's Damnation rules people.. Last night I saw them playing the whole album and it was amazing!

I've been wanting to get to this thread for the last few days, but have been finding it hard to find the time. So I'll just throw out a few quick comments about the albums you guys have mentioned that I have (or have heard).

Queensryche-Tribe - Obviously, they are not the same band they were 10 years ago, but I enjoyed this album mostly because of DeGarmo's presence. I don't like tracks 8 & 10, but the rest of it, I enjoy. I think it's a little bit better than Q2k (I know that's not saying a lot).

Metallica-St Anger - Huge disappointment. Some of the songs I thought were OK at first (although most of the good ones are too long), but the production ruins the whole thing for me. Haven't put this back in my cd player since mid-June.

Anthrax-We've Come For You All - Didn't do too much for me. Bush's voice bores me. Better than most of the post-Belladonna era stuff though. Their last great album IMO was Among The Living.

Opeth-Damnation - I like this a lot.

Enchant-Tug of War - I like this, but I expected it to be a little heavier (I don't know why). Great musicianship in this band, but I agree with Evan R about the lyrics.

Maiden-DOD - I like this a lot but it's not something I'll listen to more than say once a week. Very similar to BNW in that about half the songs are Maiden classics, the rest just aren't as memorable. Best moments for me are Montsegur, Paschendale, DOD, Gates of Tomorrow.

Arch Enemy-Anthems... - I only like a select few Death Metal bands (mainly because of the vocals) so I can't say that this was a complete disappointment...but I had hoped it would be better. The music's great, the vocals are not.

Nevermore-EOR - Sorry if I offend any fans here, but these guys sound like they have hit a wall IMO. Warrel is a great singer, but to me it sounds like he uses the same choruses and vocal inflections over and over. It gets boring after a while. Maybe it's just the songwriting, I don't know. I'd rather listen to Sanctuary or DHIADW. Once again, I like the music.

Evergrey-RD - I admit I did not give this album much of a chance, but what I heard didn't really want to make me listen to it much.

John Arch EP - Never a fan of his work with Fates Warning (though I LOVE the Ray Alder era), but this is worth picking up. His voice sounds better than ever.

Dead Soul Tribe-AMoC - I like this album and think it's much better than the first one. Maybe because it reminds me more of Psychotic Waltz than the debut.

Andromeda II=I - I like this too.