what an atrocity the grammy's are

no, my point isnt for recognition of underground metal. my point is that out of the crappy bands nominated, they picked the worst one with horrible production and song writing. even mainstream writers and columists agree.
~gR~

AllWithinMyMonster said:
why do u want an underground metal band to be nominated anyway?!? If they did you just bitch that they've gone commercial and sold out.
Enslaved were nominated for a Norwegian Music Award (Norway's equivalent to the Grammys), yet no one is accusing them of selling out. :Smug:

Dreamlord said:
Enslaved were nominated for a Norwegian Music Award (Norway's equivalent to the Grammys), yet no one is accusing them of selling out. :Smug:
Scandanavian music scene is a really different story than the American though....

but whatever, why is this such a big deal, the grammys here are simply a popularity contest, nothing more, and you all know that.

an observation about norway and metal. i just got back from oslo and while i was there i went cd shopping. at mall type record shop (like a sam goody) they had an amazing metal section AND had bands like immortal, mayhem, and borknagar on their best sellers rack next to britany spears and eminem. i dont know if the complex it was in is called a mall, but it resembled a mall. it was in downtown oslo
~gR~

As much as the mainstream bands suck, they have to exist. There would be no "underground" scene without a "mainstream" scene. Think of it sort of like The Matrix. Part of what defines anything is its opposite. I didn't watch the grammys -- I don't feel the need to waste my time watching talentless "artists" getting recognized for doing nothing. I looked briefly at some of the results -- the fact that they nominated bands like Marilyn Manson, Metallica, Korn, and Spineshank for "metal performance" is just sick, and the fact that a band that is pure and utter shit like The White Stripes got 2 awards is also sick. I honestly can't see what even the most mainstream person could have possibly seen in Metallica's St. Anger or any of the songs by The White Stripes.

I thin kthe VMA's are a decent awards show.

The Grammys are a travesty.

Well, U2 did win a bunch some years ago...and Norah won 4 last year, I think...but other than that, yuck!

Destroyer Of Orden said:
I know it was bad... very bad... but are you in any way suprised??? Were you expecting Cannibal Corpse? Suffocation? Maybe Mayhem?
ya know, i really wish people would read my posts. its not that a crappy band won. that is always expected. its the fact that EVERYONE listeners and industry people alike hated the cd. it was unlistenable from a production standpoint. korn was more deserving of the award. and that says alot
~gR~

genocide roach said:
no, my point isnt for recognition of underground metal. my point is that out of the crappy bands nominated, they picked the worst one with horrible production and song writing. even mainstream writers and columists agree.
~gR~

First off, the Grammy's this year had a funk tribute; this more than makes up for Metallica winning. Earth Wind & Fire + George Clinton=t3h w1n.

Secondly, many mainstream critics actually liked the release. I know it didn't get a bad review in Entertainment Weekly, if my memory serves me right. Hell, even at The Metal Observer, the two reviews up for St. Anger are a 9 and 9.5 out of 10. Wes' review (he's the dude that runs Rapture Radio), back when he was on staff there, was a 10 out of 10. And they're far from mainstream.

I'm not saying it's justified (not even a funk tribute can do that, it just made up for witnessing it), I'm just saying that stranger things have happened. Like Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare In Love at the Oscars. That one still keeps me up at night...