What are some basic mixing paradigms? (complete noob)

ballstix

Jul 5, 2009
Portland, OR
I've been working on my mixes lately (sort of, mostly just get distracted with finding a good guitar tone) and it seems like I haven't made much progress at all. I'm curious as to what some of the typical production ideas for metal bands.

Compression - where and how much is it used? The only purpose I've used it for is to increase volume and reduce some bass bwoominess.

Reverb - is there typically reverb on rhythm guitars? Other than whatever reverb comes of my cab impulses, I usually only use it on leads and drums.

Panning - what are some standard pans for doubletracked and quadtracked guitars?

Most importantly, equalization - man am I having trouble getting familiar with EQs. It seems like they'd be the most critical component of a signal chain to really fix your sound to what you want. I've looked at some guides and what not, but I've still never come across a guitar tone that I REALLY like (I'm using mostly the SoloC -> 8505 combination due to its popularity here; I've also heard some fucking great results when others use them). Anyone have any good advice about where to start?

Thanks a lot.

Compression - where and how much is it used? The only purpose I've used it for is to increase volume and reduce some bass bwoominess.
On almost everything. Usually not on heavy guitars. Though multiband compression can be useful to tame the muddy low mids.
Reverb - is there typically reverb on rhythm guitars? Other than whatever reverb comes of my cab impulses, I usually only use it on leads and drums.
Not on heavy rhythm guitars.

Panning - what are some standard pans for doubletracked and quadtracked guitars?
100% LR for doubles (for heavy stuff) and 100% LR and 80% LR for quads are the standard.

Most importantly, equalization - man am I having trouble getting familiar with EQs. It seems like they'd be the most critical component of a signal chain to really fix your sound to what you want. I've looked at some guides and what not, but I've still never come across a guitar tone that I REALLY like (I'm using mostly the SoloC -> 8505 combination due to its popularity here; I've also heard some fucking great results when others use them). Anyone have any good advice about where to start?
Search for this. Lots of discussion about this around here.