What are some black metal labels that actually release underground records still?

Dec 13, 2010
The only one I can think of is No Colours off the top of my head, though i'm sure there are others.

It is just so lame seeing black metal labels have disclaimer son their websites saying they do not support or tolerate racism or nationalism. When the **** did black metal become about being nice and loving everyone?

forget that, I'll just stick with No Colours and rock out to Graveland and Nargaroth.

What first comes to mind. Isn't there quite a lot of them?

No Sign of Life
World Terror Committee
Werewolf Records
Northern Heritage

When the **** did black metal become about being nice and loving everyone?

When it started to make money. That's a way to distinguish the real labels from sell-out moneywhores though.

What first comes to mind. Isn't there quite a lot of them?

No Sign of Life
World Terror Committee
Werewolf Records
Northern Heritage

When it started to make money. That's a way to distinguish the real labels from sell-out moneywhores though.

Thanks for the list, gonna check out a lot of new bands.

And yeah, any black metal label who won't allow Pagan nationalist bands to sign is the very definition of sell-out. they are supposedly releasing underground, extreme music except that they wont allow extreme or underground views in.

But on the plus side, I see a lot of signs of real underground black metal forming again, and finally in the West again and not just in Eastern Europe like it has been for the last 10 years.

I understand, that labels don't wish to be marked as nazi-supporters (if they are not), but it's fucking laughable, that those poser-labels are going like "FUCK THE WORLD, KILL, MURDER AND RAPE EVERYONE (except blacks, jews and muslims)". If you can't sell certain albums with your label, because you're afraid PMRC or Antifa is going to get upset, maybe black metal is the wrong genre for you.

But yeah, it's cool, that there still are labels dedicated to spreading the art and not sell themselves out to Dimmu Borgir-fans with fat wallets.

It is just so lame seeing black metal labels have disclaimer son their websites saying they do not support or tolerate racism or nationalism. When the **** did black metal become about being nice and loving everyone?

Metal bands always seemed to flex their muscles almost exclusively on the Christian community and its beliefs. Whenever it comes to offending any other groups, most metal bands are pussies. They just stick to whatever sells.

The only one I can think of is No Colours off the top of my head, though i'm sure there are others.

forget that, I'll just stick with No Colours and rock out to Graveland and Nargaroth.

Labels care about not tolerating racism and nationalism because it's a pretty backwards and retrogressive ideology. Nowhere is there some blanket dogma that black metal bands are forced to follow or some supreme command for them to adhere to racism. Sometimes not being nice and not loving everyone means stomping out silly and irrational belief systems like racism. Frankly, from the interviews and lyrics I've read from many NC artists and Graveland, they tend to be a bunch of no-good, inactive, whinny people whose only real talent is posing in childish sword and leather garb and praying to Pegan gods that are clearly more pathetic than the minority culture they mock.

Selling out, like you mentioned, is pointless in this day and age. Why do scene rules matter? There's no gained benefit artistically in falling in line or conforming to what scenesters want or demand from their artists.

Labels care about not tolerating racism and nationalism because it's a pretty backwards and retrogressive ideology. Nowhere is there some blanket dogma that black metal bands are forced to follow or some supreme command for them to adhere to racism. Sometimes not being nice and not loving everyone means stomping out silly and irrational belief systems like racism. Frankly, from the interviews and lyrics I've read from many NC artists and Graveland, they tend to be a bunch of no-good, inactive, whinny people whose only real talent is posing in childish sword and leather garb and praying to Pegan gods that are clearly more pathetic than the minority culture they mock.

Selling out, like you mentioned, is pointless in this day and age. Why do scene rules matter? There's no gained benefit artistically in falling in line or conforming to what scenesters want or demand from their artists.

You didn't really get what he was saying? The point is, that labels weren't any more racist or facist 15 years ago, but they still didn't feel the need to fill their catalogues with "WE'RE NOT NAZI!"-stamps. I'm not a racist either and I do not care about the color of your skin, but that doesn't mean I have to walk on the streets wearing "I'm not racist!"-shirt, because I'm afraid people might think me as a one for wearing a black metal shirt. If you wish to be a metal label selling metal records to metal people, that's fine, but don't call yourself "Misanthropic Black Metal Evil Records" if you're too afraid of antifa to keep Goatmoon-albums in your stock.

You might not understand much about it, but it's not necessarily about any retarded "scene rules", some people put up distros and labels with only underground black metal bands and albums, and don't apologize about any of their beliefs. I'm not saying everyone should do that, but there still ARE people and labels who support the original beliefs of black metal, no matter how commercialized and "nice" the genre has become.

There are a ton of labels still releasing quality black metal titles. A lot of these labels don't strictly release black metal only though.

Agonia Records
The Ajna Offensive/Norma Evangelium Diaboli
Deathlike Silence Productions
Displeased Records
Drakkar Productions
End All Life Productions
Eisenwald Tonschmiede
Fullmoon Productions
Hammer of Hate Records
Moribund Records
Napalm Records
Osmose Productions
Pagan Records
Prophecy Productions
Red Stream
Season of Mist
Those Opposed Records
Vendlus Records
Witching Hour Productions
Zyklon-B Productions

There are tons more I can't think of at the moment.

You didn't really get what he was saying? The point is, that labels weren't any more racist or facist 15 years ago, but they still didn't feel the need to fill their catalogues with "WE'RE NOT NAZI!"-stamps. I'm not a racist either and I do not care about the color of your skin, but that doesn't mean I have to walk on the streets wearing "I'm not racist!"-shirt, because I'm afraid people might think me as a one for wearing a black metal shirt. If you wish to be a metal label selling metal records to metal people, that's fine, but don't call yourself "Misanthropic Black Metal Evil Records" if you're too afraid of antifa to keep Goatmoon-albums in your stock.

You might not understand much about it, but it's not necessarily about any retarded "scene rules", some people put up distros and labels with only underground black metal bands and albums, and don't apologize about any of their beliefs. I'm not saying everyone should do that, but there still ARE people and labels who support the original beliefs of black metal, no matter how commercialized and "nice" the genre has become.

Yeah, I agree 100% with Necroraven. Not being racist/nationalistic is fine, but it's just pathetic when a black metal label(or band) has to have a disclaimer to make sure no one thinks they are those things. I'm pretty sure old Mayhem(during Euronymous and Dead's time) weren't racist but if someone had accused them of it they wouldn't have wet their pants and assured everyone they loved all minorities, they would have said **** yeah we are just to piss off the mainstream. Thats the way it should be. Any black metal band that does anything to appease the mainstream world is a sell-out.

Metal bands always seemed to flex their muscles almost exclusively on the Christian community and its beliefs. Whenever it comes to offending any other groups, most metal bands are pussies. They just stick to whatever sells.

Yeah, this is true. But at the time of the 2nd wave in Norway the whole anti-Christian thing was relatively new and they took it to new levels, now it's just something every 16 year old does when they start a metal band in their garage. They give themselves an evil sounding name like "Heathen Nazgul Resistance Force" and talk about being so misanthropic and wanting to burn down churches. Then you will see an interview where they are asked about racism or homophobia and they say "golly gee! No way mister. We love all minorities sand gay people. Any one who is racist of homophobic is so bad and we hate them." and then they go on to continue talking about killing Christians an stuff.

Yeah, this is true. But at the time of the 2nd wave in Norway the whole anti-Christian thing was relatively new and they took it to new levels, now it's just something every 16 year old does when they start a metal band in their garage. They give themselves an evil sounding name like "Heathen Nazgul Resistance Force" and talk about being so misanthropic and wanting to burn down churches. Then you will see an interview where they are asked about racism or homophobia and they say "golly gee! No way mister. We love all minorities sand gay people. Any one who is racist of homophobic is so bad and we hate them." and then they go on to continue talking about killing Christians an stuff.

Cuz hating someone for their value system is TOTALLY different than hating someone based on inherent traits. They're just two totally different issues and I don't understand why you think black metal acts can't distance themselves from the stupidity and ignorance of homophobia and racism. I see no problem with a black metal band or label stating that they are not racist or homophobic. It doesn't make them posers, wimps or whatever. That's all in your head.

Yeah, I agree 100% with Necroraven. Not being racist/nationalistic is fine, but it's just pathetic when a black metal label(or band) has to have a disclaimer to make sure no one thinks they are those things. I'm pretty sure old Mayhem(during Euronymous and Dead's time) weren't racist but if someone had accused them of it they wouldn't have wet their pants and assured everyone they loved all minorities, they would have said **** yeah we are just to piss off the mainstream. Thats the way it should be. Any black metal band that does anything to appease the mainstream world is a sell-out.

Be careful with how you choose your words. Is it a disclaimer to ward off confusion or a badge of honor in order to state their political/social stance? There's a difference. They make the disclaimer or badge clear because its a portion of their beliefs that they feel strongly about and should be taken as the same type of symbology as an inverted cross. If you know anything about the radical left and people who truly adhere to opposing racism and other types of prejudice, the amount of passion and vigor is about as militant as any extreme belief system; far from any kind of "let's all be nice" mentality. In fact, I'd argue that people who are amongst action groups - philanthropic, dissident, militant, extreme, moderate, whatever - are more active and at work than these boyish men dressed up like vikings. It's not a matter of being a bitch or selling out.

And on the matter of selling out, being anti-racist and anti-homophobic is too mainstream. Last time I checked, minorities such as gays are oppressed by the same forces (religion, conservatism) that black metal bands aim to mock and remove from power. Those labels that are clear with their support of minorities and refuse to carry NC releases are actually a hell of a lot more important than the stagnant and socialnorm preserving black metal bands that support racist/prejudice. The idea of any truly radical idea and, by extension, band/musician is to crack into the mainstream. What is much worse than "conforming" into some kind of mainstream monstrosity that you seem to be afraid of is how bands and fans have an obsession for black metal artists to fit the mold musically, ideologically, and image-wise. Whatever Mayhem was doing at their time, cool. However, it's fucking 2011 and whatever ideological grounds the genre was built up on and tradition need not be followed in perfect line. Euronymous and Dead's time that you speak of is irrelevant and the need some people have to resurrect it within the current age is a preverse form of retromania.

Be careful with how you choose your words. Is it a disclaimer to ward off confusion or a badge of honor in order to state their political/social stance? There's a difference. They make the disclaimer or badge clear because its a portion of their beliefs that they feel strongly about and should be taken as the same type of symbology as an inverted cross. If you know anything about the radical left and people who truly adhere to opposing racism and other types of prejudice, the amount of passion and vigor is about as militant as any extreme belief system; far from any kind of "let's all be nice" mentality. In fact, I'd argue that people who are amongst action groups - philanthropic, dissident, militant, extreme, moderate, whatever - are more active and at work than these boyish men dressed up like vikings. It's not a matter of being a bitch or selling out.

And on the matter of selling out, being anti-racist and anti-homophobic is too mainstream. Last time I checked, minorities such as gays are oppressed by the same forces (religion, conservatism) that black metal bands aim to mock and remove from power. Those labels that are clear with their support of minorities and refuse to carry NC releases are actually a hell of a lot more important than the stagnant and socialnorm preserving black metal bands that support racist/prejudice. The idea of any truly radical idea and, by extension, band/musician is to crack into the mainstream. What is much worse than "conforming" into some kind of mainstream monstrosity that you seem to be afraid of is how bands and fans have an obsession for black metal artists to fit the mold musically, ideologically, and image-wise. Whatever Mayhem was doing at their time, cool. However, it's fucking 2011 and whatever ideological grounds the genre was built up on and tradition need not be followed in perfect line. Euronymous and Dead's time that you speak of is irrelevant and the need some people have to resurrect it within the current age is a preverse form of retromania.

I understand what you are saying, but black metal has always been more than music, it's been a lifestyle, which is why fans have always wanted the musicians to live their image and not just act evil and then go home and live normal lives.

But it is absolutely selling out for any black metal label to refuse to sell a certain band's albums because they have controversial views. If someone won't sell a Graveland album because Darken said he's racist then that person should not be involved in black metal because his unwillingness to sell the album clearly shows he either cares too much about the money(sellout)or he is way too mainstream as a person(poseur).

I understand what you are saying, but black metal has always been more than music, it's been a lifestyle, which is why fans have always wanted the musicians to live their image and not just act evil and then go home and live normal lives.

But it is absolutely selling out for any black metal label to refuse to sell a certain band's albums because they have controversial views. If someone won't sell a Graveland album because Darken said he's racist then that person should not be involved in black metal because his unwillingness to sell the album clearly shows he either cares too much about the money(sellout)or he is way too mainstream as a person(poseur).

That's stupid. If someone rejects a racist band that could potentially sell a lot of records and get the label attention, then obviously they are not a sell-out. Neither are they a poser, because they are standing by their beliefs. Black metal is not fundamentally about racism, homophobia etc.

That's stupid. If someone rejects a racist band that could potentially sell a lot of records and get the label attention, then obviously they are not a sell-out. Neither are they a poser, because they are standing by their beliefs. Black metal is not fundamentally about racism, homophobia etc.

It is fundamentally about an anti-mainstream life view. Racism is as anti-mainstream as you can possibly get right now. The owner of the label doesn't have to be racist/homophobic himself, but refusing to sell the album because the views expressed are unpopular is very poser(ish) for a black metal label. The fact is, these labels will only sell bands who aren't controversial and who have a world view that is acceptable in public eye(hating on Christianity and religion is not underground or "kvlt" in the least bit anymore. If anything it's the Hollywood, mainstream thing to do. But the labels will capitalize on an image of being evil and usually have names that reinforce this but at the first sign of any actual controversy they will issue apologies and kick the band involved out.

black metal has always been more than music, it's been a lifestyle, which is why fans have always wanted the musicians to live their image and not just act evil and then go home and live normal lives.

I agree completely.

I think it's awesome that Demonaz and Abbath stay trve and actually sleep in the frostbitten crypts of Blashyrkh every night. Oh and let's not forget Nattramn who was so black metal that he chopped off his hands and replaced them with pig legs.

Artists like Fenriz can just fuck off, I mean what kind of poser makes grim black metal records, and then smiles and laughs with his friends at a pub? Rest assured, I will never buy a Darkthrone record again.

It is fundamentally about an anti-mainstream life view.

So black metal is fundamentally about doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing just because it's the opposite? That's the way 13 year olds think. Any band or label who makes choices based off that principle looses all artistic integrity.

Racism is as anti-mainstream as you can possibly get right now.
Actually racism is all over the mainstream. Watch basically any stand up comedy or sitcom and you will see tons of soft racism.

The owner of the label doesn't have to be racist/homophobic himself, but refusing to sell the album because the views expressed are unpopular is very poser(ish) for a black metal label.

The flaw in your argument is that you are assuming that the labels would reject racist bands because their view is unpopular-rather than because they think the view is BS and want no part of it.

The fact is, these labels will only sell bands who aren't controversial and who have a world view that is acceptable in public eye(hating on Christianity and religion is not underground or "kvlt" in the least bit anymore. If anything it's the Hollywood, mainstream thing to do.
So first you state that black metal is fundamentally about being anti-mainstream. Next you claim that being anti-Chirstian and anti-religion are mainstream. Therefore, it follows that black metal should be pro-Christian and pro-religion. Nice job.

(Of course, all your statements are bogus. Considering that most of the population is religious, it logically follows that the "mainstream" is not anti-religious.)

But the labels will capitalize on an image of being evil and usually have names that reinforce this but at the first sign of any actual controversy they will issue apologies and kick the band involved out.

Can you give a single example of this happening?