What part of a band are...

I think it depends on the band. Some bands are better because they change like Nachtmystium and some are better for staying the same like Bolt Thrower. Bands should listen to their fans and if they do change, change towards something equally or more musically interesting than what they were before.

Bolt Thrower has slowly progressed out of the OSDM to the more prog -death(if thats what to call it?) like on Those Once Loyal

1. Do you consider yourself as an open minded fan or a fan that stick to style of the music that a band have been playing for majority of its existence?

I'm very open-minded and willing to accept change in a band's music, unless it's clearly a concession designed to please fans and sell albums, rather than an artist just creating what they feel is the best thing they can do. While I might not always like the outcome of a change in musical direction, I still support it if the artist isn't compromising to please fans.

2. What bands (in your opinion) are fully following their artistic vein and are still having many fans?

Deathspell Omega, Agalloch, Drudkh, Primordial, Ulver...

3. Do you find it easy for a band to stick to one style of metal for it's whole existence, or do you find changes necessary to "check" the mentality of their fans.

If a band can stick to the same style while still keeping things interesting, I can get behind that. If a band wants to change and experiment with their musical style, I can also get behind that.

Changes in musical style aren't necessary, nor are they always a band thing.

A. I do not consider myself a fan of any band. I am not loyal to any band. I am more a fan of albums. If a band puts out an album I like, then I am a fan of that album. If said band puts out another album that I dislike, then I am not a fan of that album.

Now depending on the band, I may start tending towards fandom. Depending on how much I like them and on how many of their albums I like. In a case like that I may give them more of a chance than some new band that might play a very similar thing to what said band has changed into. But if I don't like it, I don't like it.

I respect a band's perogative to change, but that doesn't mean I will put any extra effort into liking them.

B. What I hate is when bands change to please another potential set of fans. I guess that is called selling out. How does one know when a band is selling out and when a band has become a fan of a newer, more popular style? We suspect Metallica sold out. We kinda assume Cryptopsy sold out. But how do we know?

They are but they're also similar in many ways. The early material is dirty UK style grindcore, and their newer stuff is battering-ram death metal. Both are extreme and I don't think a lot of fans care either way as long as they don't turn "gay" or whatever.

If the production were the same throughout their history you would notice the similarity. Starting at Warmaster that is.

B. What I hate is when bands change to please another potential set of fans. I guess that is called selling out. How does one know when a band is selling out and when a band has become a fan of a newer, more popular style? We suspect Metallica sold out. We kinda assume Cryptopsy sold out. But how do we know?
This is something I've been thinking about for a while. About Metallica, probably the band that gets the "sell out" label the most. I look at it this way, (and will probably get flamed but oh well) I personally believe that Metallica didn't go into the studio saying "hey let's write simple, catchy songs so we'll make a fuckload of money!!!". James Hetfield has stated many times in various interviews that after "Justice" they wanted to write simpler songs. Lars also said when they started writing "Enter Sandman" their goal was to sit down and write the simplest song they could possibly write. Obviously, what they did attracted millions more fans, but then again with each album they were playing to bigger and bigger crowds.

"Load" and "ReLoad" pissed more people off and caused more "sell out!!!" cries. Now I was quite young when those albums came out so I really can't remember all of what was popular on MTV, radio, ect... at that time, but was bluesey-hard rock really that big in '96-'97?

I don't have any of Bolt Thrower's grindcore stuff, but Warmaster, The IVth Crusade and Those Once Loyal all sound similar to me save for better production on TOL. I'm completely baffled as to how you can hear so much difference.

Cryptopsy..? :erk:

haha, killer.

fans are important i reckon, i mean people say they do it for the music etc, but if noone likes your music, then it comes as a bit of a disappointment nomatter what your initial motives for doing it! and as in cryptopsys case, it can make or break a band but i think that was more a bad call on their behalf perhaps... guess it comes down to how much you value your fans, bands have made good calls by taking new directions, but theres also a tonne of bands who've made bad calls by attempting to give the fans what they want and died trying

as far as metallica goes...
Load and Reload were like the opposite of commercial; they didn't please many people who weren't fans of the band and they sure as hell alienated the fan base. It was commercial suicide, imo. The most "commercial" thing they could have done would have been to continue to play thrash, since that's what made them big in the first place (not that that would have been a sell-out).