music Vs Internet

Morbid Saint

New Metal Member
Aug 23, 2011
well, using internet as source of finding new bands is good thing but haven't you noticed that something is missing and something is added to a scene? I mean internet gained bunch of poser kids to metal...

ok I'm gonna be more detailed here.. so as I said it gained bunch of poser kids who just want to be "different" and they TOTALLY sodomize the band they download FREE from internet... they claim to be fans of the band but aren't real fans, all they care is getting attention, they just download the whole discography for free and claim to know the music... if not internet no poser would know the bands like Morbid Angel, Death, Possessed, Morbid Saint, Obituary, Gorefest and bands like that because a person who just begs for attention wouldn't mind spending money on albums... so they download them for free and then claim to be "true fans" when they just "listen" to them to be different...

also there's no more underground or cult bands when only few people knew about a band and they were real fans of them... I mean internet gained many false fans to the scene, ofcourse many fans are good for bands but it sucks when I see a 13 year old boy/girl who has no clue of music and wears Burzum t shirt because they just like a style or want to be different, if not internet that kind of children wouldn't even know about those bands and would "be different" with tokio hotel or something and wouldn't mess with real extreme music...

and when I mentioned 13 year old girl/boy, I don't mean 13 year old person doesn't have right to listen to that music, of course they have, I'm 15 and when I was 13 I always BOUGHT an album and liked a band FOR REAL, but most of young fans that I see nowdays only beg for attention and don't know shit about metal, they wouldn't even bother listening to it if it wasn't free (thanks to internet :bah: )

I just want to know if you guys agree with me or if you disagree I would be glad to hear the answer why... :Smokedev:

/thread.

I've got 5 years on you and even I am not old enough to pull off the butthurt old-school metal fan.

what I meant was internet gained lots of posers to genre, people who wouldn't even buy and album if it wasn't free by internet nowadays...

Last week I read an online interview from one of the guitar players for Lazarus A.D. In the interview he stated that the band receives 10% from CDs sold in stores, 50% of digital downloads and $2 from every CD they sell at concerts. He said get a hold of the music anyway you can, but if you want to show support for a band buy tickets to see them and buy merchandise.

I'm more annoyed by 15 year old kids that want the albums and think they need first presses of older shit. Mother fucker, you werent even alive in the 80s, take the goddamn reissue and be happy.

what I meant was internet gained lots of posers to genre, people who wouldn't even buy and album if it wasn't free by internet nowadays...

There are no posers.

If they're wearing a bands merch then that means they payed for it. This means they supported the band.

If they are not wearing band merch then they obviously arn't trying to show people that they listen to a band.

Basically what you're saying is true fans are the ones that have assloads of money to spend and those who can't afford to buy albums/merch are posers.

Since you're 15 here is some advice, stop buying albums. Save your money and spend it when you're older and life becomes more expensive.

Eh, it sounds like you're making up some mythical "posers". Most people I know who download still buy music, but download what they are not familiar with or cannot afford to buy. Personally, there's no way in hell I'm throwing down $12-18 on a band I've never heard before.

Beside, your coloration of spending money and "being true" is a little naive, since it ignores class differences.

Der Morgenstern said:
Before it was called tape trading. Then it was called burning CDs. Do you think we all spent money buying each and every album?

I did, and so did all of the real metal fans on this site who don't have a false sense of entitlement to steal music. Listening to a few songs from a band is fine, but anyone who really likes something should be willing to spend the money to own it and support the scene.

Tonka Time said:
There are no posers.

If they're wearing a bands merch then that means they payed for it. This means they supported the band.

If they are not wearing band merch then they obviously arn't trying to show people that they listen to a band.

Basically what you're saying is true fans are the ones that have assloads of money to spend and those who can't afford to buy albums/merch are posers.

Since you're 15 here is some advice, stop buying albums. Save your money and spend it when you're older and life becomes more expensive.

This is also just a shitty argument, because even if they bought the band shirt, they can still potentially be listening to the band as a way to seem different and get attention. It's quite common.

NOT-SURE-IF-TROLL-OR-JUST-VERY-STUPID.jpg

This is also just a shitty argument, because even if they bought the band shirt, they can still potentially be listening to the band as a way to seem different and get attention. It's quite common.

So then you've had multiple experiences where you met someone and found out that they wear band merch just to look cool?

You know people in real life that listen to music, but they tell you that they don't even like what they are listening to?

Seems more probable to me that kids want to feel special and call themselves true amongst a sea of posers.

I did, and so did all of the real metal fans on this site who don't have a false sense of entitlement to steal music. Listening to a few songs from a band is fine, but anyone who really likes something should be willing to spend the money to own it and support the scene.

Good for you and I'm impressed you know that the 'real metal fans on the site' bought all the albums they possibly could. And I'm equally impressed that you equate tape trading and album burning with not buying anything band related ever, at any point.

Let's put this shit in perspective for you. I grew up dirt poor and in a trailer park just so the stereotype was complete. I embraced metal since it gave me all the cliched outlets and platitudes concerning strength, courage and escape from not having my dad around and my mom crying because she worked three jobs to make ends to meet and was emotionally, physically and spiritually exhausted. So, no, I didn't buy all the metal albums. My friends and I would copy tapes for each other (I guess I just dated myself there) and we enjoyed the music. If a band is pissed at a 15-year old kid for not being able to afford to buy their new album, but loved their music for all the right reasons, then fuck them. I'm glad I listened to their shit for free.

But I guess I'm just not a real metal fan and I'm glad that some shithead on the internet cleared that up for me.

There's nothing wrong with downloading music cause it isn't so expensive and you didn't do any wrong to the band I think. What sucks are those superficial music listeners who don't even like Metal and hanging around at metal shows, talking crap about bands and that they hate this and this and wearing death or Thrashmetal shirts. I also believe the problem is that people loose interest in 'real' metal more and more cause nowadays everything's overfilled with metalcore and bands who just want to play cause (they think) they are soo awesome and don't talk with the fans after the show cause they think they are gods or wtf ever. I can understand it with bands like Metallica or Slayer cause they must protect themselves from some fans (see Dimebag darrel).

Sometimes this famous bands have the most insane fans, but nowadays there are too less bands that really care about their fans aswell, so I say I can understand the fans who just download their shit cause I wouldn't give any arrogant arseholes my sour earned money.
okay long post, but that was neccessary ;)

Iam not satisfied with downloading or listening stuff on youtube without owning the album. Iam a huge collector, and I love reading booklets and collect rare discs. I totally enjoy it. It's like the feeling you breath the spirit of the music. But that's me, everything to his own..

The same can be said for any genre. Posers exist--in my eyes--only as the antithesis to the elitist. Both get on my fucking nerves. I could go to a show to see <INSERT_BAND> and see an opener that I think sounds good, buy their t-shirt and CD at the kiosk and proceed to be all about this band as if I were a fan from day one with or without the internet.

The internet didn't stop tons of dumbasses from thinking that Follow the Leader was Korn's first album so why has it facilitated poserism any more than anything else?

Good for you and I'm impressed you know that the 'real metal fans on the site' bought all the albums they possibly could. And I'm equally impressed that you equate tape trading and album burning with not buying anything band related ever, at any point.

Let's put this shit in perspective for you. I grew up dirt poor and in a trailer park just so the stereotype was complete. I embraced metal since it gave me all the cliched outlets and platitudes concerning strength, courage and escape from not having my dad around and my mom crying because she worked three jobs to make ends to meet and was emotionally, physically and spiritually exhausted. So, no, I didn't buy all the metal albums. My friends and I would copy tapes for each other (I guess I just dated myself there) and we enjoyed the music. If a band is pissed at a 15-year old kid for not being able to afford to buy their new album, but loved their music for all the right reasons, then fuck them. I'm glad I listened to their shit for free.

But I guess I'm just not a real metal fan and I'm glad that some shithead on the internet cleared that up for me.

Weren't you a member of Hollywood Undead? I think that shows exactly what you embraced.

Now for a more serious but equally valid reply to the shitty argument presented in this thread by Tonka Turd and Der Fagenstern:

So then you've had multiple experiences where you met someone and found out that they wear band merch just to look cool?

You know people in real life that listen to music, but they tell you that they don't even like what they are listening to?

Seems more probable to me that kids want to feel special and call themselves true amongst a sea of posers.

You've never encountered anyone who liked something that could be considered "edgy" because of the image associated with it? I'm going to assume that you've never even left your house. I don't dress like a metalhead, talk about metal music to many people or do anything to exploit my status as a metal fan for attention. Most people I know don't even know what kind of music I like.

Let me put it into perspective for you: If you can't afford something, you aren't entitled to steal it even if you try to justify it by giving a sob story about being a poor piece of trailer park trash who relates to metal music because you're from a broken home.