What are some of your favorite songs drumming/percussion-wise?

Solipsist

beyond all horizons
Jul 27, 2006
Feel free to discuss why they are too. Here are some of mine...

Metal:
Summoning- "In Hollow Halls Beneath the Fells" (their percussion is generally original and excellent; this particular song really stands out on that aspect though and the same with another track of their's, "Kortirion Among the Trees")
Slayer- "Live Undead" (Not only features great execution of fills, but the drums also have a thick well-defined sound to them that I love)
Graveland- "Thousand Swords" (despite being simple and not have the best drum sound in the world... it is damn effective and reminds me of a horse's gallop)
Immolation- "Higher Coward" (some very tastefully-done technical drumming here, folks)
Aeternus- "Descent into the Underworld" (has a surgically-precise pulsating rhythm and clearly pronounced double-bass to go along with it)
Godflesh and Blut Aus Nord- almost any track from "Streetcleaner" and respectively, "The Work..." (pretty organic-sounding mechanical drumming, as I've heard people say)

Non-Metal:
King Crimson- "Pictures of a City" (crazy, sporadic drumming that somehow fits along with the composition)
Autechre- Just about any track of their's (puts a new spin on rhythm with a "fragmented" sort of beat)
The Melvins- "Skweetis" (interesting drumming for this type of music)
Dead Can Dance- "Saltarello" (very basic, soothing percussion)
Hella- "Biblical Violence" (very technical and stimulating)

Quo Vadis - "In Contempt" and "On The Shores Of Ithaka" (There's alot of variations and beats to those songs and I find that they are excellent...Yanic bercier is one of the better drummers I have seen)

Mastodon - March of the Fire Ants
Atheist - Your Life's Retribution (any song on the album works)
Clandestine Blaze - Destroyer of the Nations (probably my favorite drum sound ever)
Origin - Lethal Manipulation
Lykathea Aflame - Land Where Sympathy is Air

Graveland- "Thousand Swords" (despite being simple and not have the best drum sound in the world... it is damn effective and reminds me of a horse's gallop)

Yes! The drumming on this album is bloody great, one of the defining aspects, surely. Never before have I heard drums so effectively evoke the sound of war.

Hail - Anything off Inheritance of Evilness. Particularly 'Barbaryan (Finland)' - for reasons similar to why I love the percussion on Thousand Swords.

And for death metal, anything from Liers in Wait.

Ark - Burning Down

Reverend Bizarre - From the Void

Anything with Bill Ward

Voivod - Psychic Vacuum

Fenriz on Soulside Journey

Carl Michael on Ved Buens Ende - Written in Waters