What are some of your favorite songs drumming/percussion-wise?

"Dante's Inferno" by Iced Earth. Richard Cristy slayed back in the day (er, I think he played the drums on Burnt Offerings...not sure)

Goddamn do I love cool drumming. Here are a few pics off the top of my head:

Wormed - Planisphaerium (purposely sloppy yet undeniably tight and interesting)

Anata - The Conductor's Departure (two words: tom variety)

Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God (absolute pinnacle of detached drum programming)

swizzlenuts said:
The dude from Molested, without the drumming on that album, it wouldn't be half as good.

Perhaps not, but you must admit that the part near the end of one of the songs (I think it's the last?) with the folk section with neverending blasts over it is fuckin' funny/awesome.

Any song off of Gorguts - Obscura. I can't remember off the top of my head who wrote the drum lines for that album but it's simply incredible. Best metal drumming ever, PERIOD. I sometimes spend whole listens focusing on just the rhythm section (the bass is nuts as well)

The guy from Lykathea Aflame comes as a (fairly) close second.

Amon Amarth's drumming is great because it creates the moods of the music better than many bands.

Amon Amarth is excellent at creating a melodic landscape with their constant, wall-of-sound guitar playing. Johan Hegg's voice works very well, too.

I love the drumming in all of Death's albums, especially in their later works, as well as Thomen's work in Blind Guardian.

Drums are usually what I keep track of the most while listening to an album. I use my fingers to "drum" along - the index and middle fingers on my right hand are the bass pedals and my left hand is usually the snare. :kickass:

Lashed to the Slavestick by Nile sounds pretty good to me. Any track Inferno is audible on by Behemoth would wet my panties if I were a chick.

anything (seriously anything) by mastodon, 1st 4 morbid angel CDs

brann dailor and pete sandoval both pwn :headbang: :headbang:

"slaves shall serve"by behemoth (fucking brutal)
"nephilim rising" - more brutal drumming by inferno

war ensemble and silent scream by slayer (kickass double bass)

spirit crusher by death (richardy christy is a god with the drum kit)

every member of death 93-98 is a phenomenal musician

patrice hamelin from martyr is sick as well

Hellhammers work on De Mysteriis is excellent.
He uses the blast beat like a metranome while using the cymbals to make some great compositions, with the toms being used effectively and not excessively, along with some great foot work e.g freezing moon intro, and unyeilding double kick, fucking love it:headbang:

Also a mention too

Steve Flynn - his work with atheist is jazzy ass kicking excellence (despite a bit of sloppyness on the debut) and recently i heard his work in a new band (the name escapes me but there on Starfactory Records owned by atheist or kelly... something like that) and he is still as technicle as ever :kickass:

Sean Reinert - His work on death and cynic is untouchable, crushing on human and sporadic yet apt on focus :worship:

Tim Yeung - The double kick god, his unrelenting assualt in decrepit birth destroys you everytime and leaves your limbs aching just thinking of the competence the body needs to pull off such a feat. Also kicks ass with vital remains live :kickass:

Flo Mounier - A lot of people can blast, and now gravity blast, but no one uses the whole kit as much as flo does while incoperating those fast bastards. Instead of taking on a "focus" style drumming within Cryptopsy songs, he sticks too the metal drumming but adds that extra over the top addition of technicality and "free flo", plus his live solos own :worship:

and if this thread stays alive i'll add some more...

Steve Flynn - his work with atheist is jazzy ass kicking excellence (despite a bit of sloppyness on the debut) and recently i heard his work in a new band (the name escapes me but there on Starfactory Records owned by atheist or kelly... something like that) and he is still as technicle as ever :kickass:

Ok I just went Googling and found them, the new band is called Gnostic:

www.myspace.com/gnosticmusic

They sound like an Atheist tribute band.

Thanks for the link dude, thats the shit.
Yeah they sound like a modernised atheist, the singer is... bearable, but the music is pretty good. What do you think?

Thanks for the link dude, thats the shit.
Yeah they sound like a modernised atheist, the singer is... bearable, but the music is pretty good. What do you think?

I was expecting better TBH. The vocals are pretty shit, the bass sound is atrocious and the guitarists aren't very tight. Maybe with better production they'd be ok. The music is VERY Atheist.

Edit: The drums are great of course.